User Tag List

My Bikes
    Waterford light touring bike, Puch mixte city bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It never rains, but pours department

About ten days ago I posted asking for help deciding whether to attempt a ride I wasn't quite sure I was ready for. I got the validation I was looking for, paid my registration fee, and then last weekend I did a ride that convinced me I was really ready. All I had to do was keep on riding to work this week, and do a longish ride tomorrow.

Well, my sister's young daughter was hospitalized Monday, and is not yet out of the woods. I needed a ride home Monday to get to the hospital, and barely managed to get my bike home, let alone ride again this week, since I needed to have transportation to get to the hospital. And today I got some sort of stomach flu, and have not been able to eat anything, or to visit at the hospital, or to even catch up on grading!

It's mean of me to even think about riding, while my niece is fighting for her life. I want to support my sister and her daughter and my old and ailing father who is terrified for his only granddaughter. But me, me, me, me I want I want I want. I am wondering again about whether I'll be able to do the ride next weekend, if I'm even free to try it. The world really isn't fair sometimes.

This has not been a good six months for the health of the people who are important to me. Without starting a helmet war, wear your helmets, and take food-born pathogens seriously!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are things in life MUCH more important than bicycle riding. You have your priorities in good order. Best to your sister and her child and your father. You can bicycle any time.

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    There are things in life MUCH more important than bicycle riding. You have your priorities in good order. Best to your sister and her child and your father. You can bicycle any time.
    +1

Family comes first.
    They are the only one you will ever have.

My thoughts and prayers for your niece.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    +2
    ... Couldn't say it any better ...
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You and your family are in my thoughts. Fingers crossed for speedy recovery.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Praying...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for the prayers for your niece. Denver really hit the nail on the head, you made the right decision in staying for her and your father. Please keep us posted.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've gotta do what you've gotta do, even if it means sacrificing something else.

In a way, it's sort of pay forward time for the time and effort of others to help you recover.

All the best.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figure out a ride for yourself that will only take an hour or so. You can't give the best to your niece if you don't treat yourself well. A little riding will help you to give more support.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherlady View Post
    The world really isn't fair sometimes.
    Lucky for us.

Most of the people in the world are born in places like China, India and Africa. Through pure blind luck I happened to be born in the US. I'm thinking regardless of whatever else happens, I'm still on the good side of that fair line.

There will always be another ride but you already knew that. It sounds to me like you have your priorities right. I don't blame you for not liking it though. I know I wouldn't.

I'll add my wish that your neice pulls through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In reality, "The Ride" is little more than a social event geared towards enticing one to improve their strength and stamina through training.

Your good physical conditioning will serve you, your family, and your students well over the next several days. Although you'll miss out on the social aspect of "The Ride", I would say that you definately benefited from it.

Prayers going out for your niece.

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Praying your niece gets better and you find inner peace.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    Waterford light touring bike, Puch mixte city bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone asked me to report how the ride went. Here goes.

My niece got better. I did the ride even though I had barely ridden for two weeks, and it was a glorious day: perfect weather, the hills weren't as high as they were last year, the rest stops were closer together than they were last year, I was alone when I wanted to be, and hung with interesting people when I wanted to. I wasn't pushing at all, and my time was the same as last year's, or maybe a little faster.

Then the next morning a horse kicked me in the belly -- not really, but I went to the emergency room with the worst pain I ever felt in my life. The ER docs saw a fat old lady with a low heart rate, and misdiagnosed my problem as gall-bladder disease. Fortunately, they shipped me off to my HMO's hospital, who correctly diagnosed a small bowel obstruction and saved my life -- and small bowel -- before I lost any part of my body permanently. I am home today after 5 nights in the hospital, grateful, sore, and happy.

I have lost a lot of my hard-worked-for recovery. I am off my bike, and work, and driving, for at least another week, maybe two or three.

But it could have been so much worse. There might have been no emergency room close by. The wonderful Lodi Biker Chics in the motel room next door might not have been there, helping me to fold myself and my bike and belongings into my car and get to the emergency room. My HMO might have believed the radiology report that apparently missed the glaring obstruction, and "saved me from excess radiation" and not reimaged my belly. I might not have had good health insurance, and have had a second-time-in-six-months bankrupting medical emergency. I might be facing the prospect of trying to teach teenagers or make love to my beloved while wearing a colostomy bag.

Oh -- and I had a great ride, and before I took sick, I got the last ground-floor lake-front motel room for the weekend of the ride next year!

The surgeons tell me the medical emergency had nothing to do with the ride; it was pure coincidental bad luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TL,
    Glad to hear that you got to do the ride and it was an enjoyable ride. Also glad to hear that you are well on the way to recovering from the bowel obstruction. Hope you are able to get back on the bike and fully functional soon.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the ride and though sorry you had the problem, congrats on a corrected and proper diagnosis.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you made the ride and sorry you had to enter my world, the small bowel strangulation and wearing ostomy bags has been my place since 2000. No bag right now, thank goodness, but the 13 abdominal surgeries and multiple resections of the small intestine can really set you back. Keep us posted on your recovery and if you need any input from a long time veteran leave me a visitor's message until you have enough posts to do a P.M.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney