About ten days ago I posted asking for help deciding whether to attempt a ride I wasn't quite sure I was ready for. I got the validation I was looking for, paid my registration fee, and then last weekend I did a ride that convinced me I was really ready. All I had to do was keep on riding to work this week, and do a longish ride tomorrow.
Well, my sister's young daughter was hospitalized Monday, and is not yet out of the woods. I needed a ride home Monday to get to the hospital, and barely managed to get my bike home, let alone ride again this week, since I needed to have transportation to get to the hospital. And today I got some sort of stomach flu, and have not been able to eat anything, or to visit at the hospital, or to even catch up on grading!
It's mean of me to even think about riding, while my niece is fighting for her life. I want to support my sister and her daughter and my old and ailing father who is terrified for his only granddaughter. But me, me, me, me I want I want I want. I am wondering again about whether I'll be able to do the ride next weekend, if I'm even free to try it. The world really isn't fair sometimes.
This has not been a good six months for the health of the people who are important to me. Without starting a helmet war, wear your helmets, and take food-born pathogens seriously!