Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why I love where I live!!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-12, 09:31 PM

Bikes: 2012 Ridley Orion full Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was an absolutely perfect day for my ride today. Temps in the high 70s, no wind and me with the day off!!! My ride starts from my house and within 2 miles I'm heading out of town through open farmland and out to the ocean. It was such a perfect ride that I even made it through the stop lights on the way out without hitting one red!!!

Once I got to the Pacific Coast Highway it was so beautiful that I continued approximately 20 miles down to Pepperdine University, where I turned back and headed home. Had to stop once near Sycamore Cove to take a quick couple photos:

PCH looking North:

Nice spot for a shot:

Old 09-28-12, 09:38 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
We looked at Pepperdine (and UC Santa Barbara and Pomona) when youngest kid was looking for colleges. Beautiful area. I love were I live more though - Taos, NM.

New Mexico - all beach, no sharks.
Old 09-28-12, 09:45 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
We looked at Pepperdine (and UC Santa Barbara and Pomona) when youngest kid was looking for colleges. Beautiful area. I love were I live more though - Taos, NM.

Join Date Jan 2005 Location Jersey - outside the bibs. ********************
Old 09-28-12, 09:49 PM
Banned.

Colorado - My kids are here

Parker - nice town with all the amenities

100's of miles of interconnected bicycling trails.

Did I mention the mountains and 4 seasons?
Old 09-28-12, 10:14 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Come on DNVR, we only need one season, riding season. All season tires should be slicks. Fenders belong on a car. But I think most of us live where we live because that is where we want to live. My Kids Live in Colorado Springs, I like to visit but then I love to come home.
Old 09-28-12, 11:59 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Love the surrounding area where I live. Hills- Offroad and flats are all within easy reach. Both my girls moved away when they set up home on their own but once married moved back to be within easy touching distance of Dad. Or should that be that Dad is an easy touch.

Only downside is that it is a bit too far from London and I am a London boy at heart.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-29-12, 01:02 AM

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A nice day, but not a perfect day.
How could you miss out on having pie?

I like where I live. Only 10 or 12 days of snow each winter,
But excellent skiing just 3 hours away.
Old 09-29-12, 04:28 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember a few years back, while I had some time off while visiting LA on business, I took a ride up the Pacific Coast Highway... Simply magnificent and beautiful...

Plus, everything I saw brought back memories of one Beach Boys song or another -- as they had already been there and sung about it...
Old 09-29-12, 06:57 AM
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
But I think most of us live where we live because that is where we want to live.
....well, maybe Maybe not. Not that I have anything too specific against where I live in general. It's just my personal situation... I've lived in this general area (i.e. state) all my life and would dearly love a change of scenery. Plus, by now my 'home' location is inextricably tied to my job, in my mind, so it always reminds me of that (which is not a good thing). Oh how I'd like to live in a sparsely populated area with a dry climate...

No grandkids (only child is just now in 9th grade), so that's not a factor. Plus, I figure roads can be traveled both directions...
Old 09-29-12, 07:15 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Beautiful pics. I always thought California was a nicer place to visit (many times) than to live (two years).

I like my home. Where else can you go to a family reunion in order to pick up a babe?

However, after my brief stint in Colorado, one the skinniest states in the union, upon returning home to Kentucky, one of the fattest states in the union, I got so depressed I had to soothe my nerves with a Moonpie and an arahC.

Last edited by Dudelsack; 09-29-12 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-29-12, 12:38 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
The waves are too sparse for body surfing, though.
Old 09-29-12, 12:44 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Not2old
It was an absolutely perfect day for my ride today. Temps in the high 70s, no wind and me with the day off!!!
Yes - you could convince me that there's good reason to like your locale. Sounds like it was a terrific ride!
Old 09-29-12, 01:11 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Nice pics of the PCH for your ride. Looks beautiful there, our beaches don't have any rocky lines like those, strictly white sugar sand breaks here.

Dudle, here its a arhoCeecocoler, we are really uptown here in LA.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-29-12, 03:40 PM

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
Can't beat LA weather. New Jersey has a lot to offer too. 2 miles out and I am on country roads with little traffic. 25 miles east to some of the nicest beaches on the east coast. Northern Jersey has some scenic rollers also. Something to be said for Fall foliage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GOBA11 109.jpg (104.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg
Picture 033.jpg (94.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-29-12, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Beautiful pics. I always thought California was a nicer place to visit (many times) than to live (two years).

I like my home. Where else can you go to a family reunion in order to pick up a babe?

However, after my brief stint in Colorado, one the skinniest states in the union, upon returning home to Kentucky, one of the fattest states in the union, I got so depressed I had to soothe my nerves with a Moonpie and an arahC.
Well, a friend of mine who used to own a bike shop in Davis, CA went to a family reunion in Italy and met a distant cousin whom he married. I'll have to get over to Italy some day to see him.
Old 09-29-12, 06:07 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I used to live in California, the weather is nice I will say that for the state.
Old 09-29-12, 06:25 PM
West Coast Weenie

Bikes: 2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If we could just get 25 million or so people to move elsewhere, California would be awesome.
Old 09-29-12, 07:04 PM
Banned.

Our Chambers of Commerce claim that CO gets 300 days of sunshine each year - whatever that means. But we DO get a lot of sunny days, especially compared to San Diego's May gray and June gloom.
Old 09-29-12, 07:25 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Esteban58
If we could just get 25 million or so people to move elsewhere, California would be awesome.
There's a reason why they moved there and haven't left. The place must have something good going for it...

Where I live (Pittsburgh), nobody ever moves here: they're born here and then they die here... I plan to be one of them (but not quite yet!)

No, it's not a place I would ever want to move to. But neither is it a place I ever want to leave...
... It's a good place.
Old 09-29-12, 08:27 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Join Date Jan 2005 Location Jersey - outside the bibs. ********************
Can't I live in more than one place********************

Central NJ actually has better riding than NM, but I can see the sunsets better in Taos. And the mountains.
Old 09-29-12, 09:19 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Esteban58
I already did. Living in Little Rock, Arkansas now. It's a nice size city and because of its location on the border between the Ouachita Mountains and the Mississippi River delta, it has just about any terrain that you could want. It's got the full four seasons, but just a few snowy days a year. Because it's the state capitol its got a lot going on for its size, but still it's relaxed. I never met a governor from California, but I've met the last 4 governors of Arkansas, including Bill.

What I like the most about the neighborhood I live in is that there is a thick network of creeks throughout it. I can go to many spots and watch the water, the fish, the birds, turtles and animals. And over the years, I watch things come and go, rise and fall.

I haven't experienced a tornado yet. But one almost touched down two blocks from me, and that was already a strange experience. Strong winds and low pressure.

But at 50 of 50 in bicycle friendliness, the streets leave something to be desired. But you get out of town in minutes and Arkansas has a lot of places to ride.

What worries me most about California is the water problem that they are facing.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 09-29-12 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-29-12, 10:54 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
California is two states. Northern California has more water than they need and Southern California has more people. With more people comes more votes and so the water gets moved. Neither part of the state is real happy with the system. Desalination could be the answer. a new plant is proposed for Carlsbad and while some complain that it would be power intensive you could shoot a pistol from Carlsbad and hit San Onofre so power isn't an issue. In fact all or the power that is used in my area is either Nuclear or Wind driven. I live halfway between the San Onofre power plant and the Palm Springs wind farms. Still we have great weather and the ability to play in the snow till noon and hit the beach by 2:30. The reason I live where I do. Like I said 4 seasons to me is hot clear riding weather, warm clear riding weather, cool clear riding weather and perfect clear riding weather.

I have been to your beautiful state once or twice. But it gets too hot and humid for me in the summer and the humidity must breed insects we never heard of as a kid growing up in a beach city in Orange county. Ticks I knew about, chiggers(sp?) I didn't have a clue. What is a no-seeum? Misquitoes the size of small birds.

But living in Southern California we almost always feel technology will come along to solve most problems from water to new fuel to electrical power. Now if we had the same faith in the economy we would be all set.
Old 09-30-12, 12:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Not2old
It was an absolutely perfect day for my ride today. Temps in the high 70s, no wind and me with the day off!!! My ride starts from my house and within 2 miles I'm heading out of town through open farmland and out to the ocean. It was such a perfect ride that I even made it through the stop lights on the way out without hitting one red!!!

Once I got to the Pacific Coast Highway it was so beautiful that I continued approximately 20 miles down to Pepperdine University, where I turned back and headed home. Had to stop once near Sycamore Cove to take a quick couple photos:

PCH looking North:

Nice spot for a shot:

Sounds like a great ride and you certainly have some excellent scenery.

Good for you!!
Old 09-30-12, 05:21 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Still like Illinois ,
been other places
and wind up back here .
Absence of hills ,
presence of wind .
Old 09-30-12, 07:14 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
My town sucks. It's the largest farming community in CT and has nothing but rural landscapes and rolling hills with views of nothing but more nature. There's more livestock than people here and you can go forever without seeing a car. I guess our one traffic light dissuades car travel. We don't even have a supermarket. I have to go to the General Store at the Town Green to get my homemade sausage, local dairy and produce. Of course we do get deliveries of beer from some local breweries and the one Tavern/Roadhouse is 1/4 mi. from my house. But then again, when you go there everyone knows each other and they all want to know how you're doing. Sometimes people will even buy you a beer. Kind of slows things down and makes eating a drawn out affair. So, forewarned is forearmed. Don't bother coming here. It really isn't worth it. There's just nothing here. Really. Avoid this place like the plague.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.