Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   You Yelling at Me?? (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/849740-you-yelling-me.html)

jppe 09-30-12 03:04 PM

You Yelling at Me??

Finishing up my 75 miler today and less than a mile from the house. Two youngish guys come whizzing by. The passenger hollers something at me.......takes me a few seconds to figure out what he said. The thing I heard first was the last word. What he said was "You're too old to be doing that A__hole".

Of course it was irritating but after a few seconds I just chuckled. Wouldn't it be fun to see how he'd stack up riding with me over 75 miles -especially some of the 15% grades I tossed in today.

Better yet I wonder how his buddies would react after he got trashed by a 100 year old like Robert Marchand!!!

oldnslow2 09-30-12 03:35 PM

Old guys rule.

GeorgeBMac 09-30-12 03:38 PM

As they saY: its the little puny dogs who have the shrillest bark.
... He probably couldn't do 7.5 miles -- much less 75...

But, give him a break -- it's his way of making himself believe that his sorry little life is better than yours...

freedomrider1 09-30-12 03:51 PM

Sounds like you got the last laugh.

qcpmsame 09-30-12 04:08 PM

You handled this better than many would have, good for you. Sad commentary on that youths big mouth and his stupid behavior. Showing off for the others in the car no doubt. As said, He probably couldn't ride or even walk 7.5 miles, never the 75 you were on JPPE. You took the High Road.

Bill

trackhub 09-30-12 04:56 PM

I'm betting these Bozos would rather spend two hours waiting in a line to buy gas, then ride a bike for ten minutes, and ride right past the gas station, where people are waiting in line to buy gas.

zonatandem 09-30-12 05:39 PM

Smile + wave (with all 5 digits)!

NOS88 09-30-12 06:26 PM

With youth, impulse almost always wins over insight.

B. Carfree 09-30-12 07:01 PM

It's beyond sad how unfit our youth are. We are seeing their sedentary lifestyles show up in morbidity/mortality reports. The youngest of the baby boomers probably represent the end of the ever-increasing life expectancy that we have come to take for granted. We are starting to see those numbers begin to flatten and soon they will go down. In fact, for uneducated whites, life expectancy is already falling. For uneducated blacks and latinos, it is flattened. Next up (well, down, actually): educated minorities, followed by everyone.

We (chronologically) old folks have lived through the second bike boom ('60s/'70s), the running boom, Jane Fonda's aerobics thing, two periods of increased interest in swimming (Spitz era and the current one) and are leading the third bike boom. Most of us have participated in at least a couple of these prolonged fads in getting exercise. Meanwhile, the generation that followed the boomers has been spending its time sitting still. They and their children have no way to understand from experience why we exercise. My wife and I call them the Lost Generation.

Dudelsack 09-30-12 07:21 PM

Happens pretty frequently here. I ignore it mostly.

JanMM 09-30-12 07:59 PM

Generally can't make out the words that people yell at me.
I always assume it's something nice because people are nice.:twitchy:

Red Rider 09-30-12 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonatandem (Post 14791470)
Smile + wave (with all 5 digits)!

+1

Red Rider 09-30-12 08:03 PM

No matter what the motorist says to me I smile & wave, and save my WTF reaction for when they can't see it.

downtube42 09-30-12 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 14792015)
Generally can't make out the words that people yell at me.
I always assume it's something nice because people are nice.:twitchy:

I think of them as my fans.

Astrozombie 09-30-12 09:39 PM

"Can't wait for gas to be $10 a gallon" is what i'd say

scroca 09-30-12 10:44 PM

Young cowards who yell anonymously out of car windows grow up to be old cowards.

Phil_gretz 10-01-12 05:45 AM

There's a good reason why many cultures and religious systems suggest that we respect our elders. This perspective is somehow lost on the younger generation who are culturally illiterate. [shakes head]

tcs 10-01-12 06:25 AM

DOES IT SEEM LIKE I'M YELLING? SORRY - I'VE GOT SOME HEARING IMPAIRMENT. (shrugs) IT'S AN OVER 50 THING.

Bikey Mikey 10-01-12 07:19 AM

Smile and wave boys. Smile and wave. (Madagascar penguins reference.)

Dudelsack 10-01-12 07:25 AM

Now that I have unlocked the secrets of downloading and editing my GoPro, I will ride with it routinely. If I catch an incident clearly on tape, I will report it to the police. Even if they don't do anything with it, cowards should have their cowardice documented.

billydonn 10-01-12 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B. Carfree (Post 14791756)
It's beyond sad how unfit our youth are. We are seeing their sedentary lifestyles show up in morbidity/mortality reports. The youngest of the baby boomers probably represent the end of the ever-increasing life expectancy that we have come to take for granted. We are starting to see those numbers begin to flatten and soon they will go down. In fact, for uneducated whites, life expectancy is already falling. For uneducated blacks and latinos, it is flattened. Next up (well, down, actually): educated minorities, followed by everyone.

We (chronologically) old folks have lived through the second bike boom ('60s/'70s), the running boom, Jane Fonda's aerobics thing, two periods of increased interest in swimming (Spitz era and the current one) and are leading the third bike boom. Most of us have participated in at least a couple of these prolonged fads in getting exercise. Meanwhile, the generation that followed the boomers has been spending its time sitting still. They and their children have no way to understand from experience why we exercise. My wife and I call them the Lost Generation.

Interesting stuff... I'd love to have references for those trends!

Doohickie 10-01-12 08:12 AM

Smile & wave.

Doohickie 10-01-12 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B. Carfree (Post 14791756)

You forgot Richard Simmons!

http://www.richardsimmonsdvds.com/0_61_320_Simmons2.jpg

rydabent 10-01-12 08:16 AM

The most exercise most teens get is walking to and from their car. Im 74 and would like for them to ride with me on my usual 30 mile ride.

When something like that happens I wave with my whole hand and think to myself pick out a finger that is meaningful!!!!!!

Datsun Nut 10-01-12 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doohickie (Post 14793496)

This is what happens when you cross Jack LaLanne with Peter Pan....