Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A funny thing happened to me the other day

Wife and I rode our Trek 2000 along this route http://connect.garmin.com/dashboard?cid=4770928
    which includes a bit of a climb (4+ miles) for us flatlanders. We planned to stop at a pub at Fulking after a high speed descent, but when we got to the pub, I slowed for traffic, but didn't stop. When my stoker asked where I was going, I said I didn't know and that everything had gone blank. At first she thought I was kidding. She got me to sit down in the parking lot and asked a number of questions, none of which I remember, but I could tell her our UK and FL addresses. I could not remember anything from that morning, like going to the store for bread, riding up the hill or why we were where we were. After about 20 minutes, I was more or less OK and have been since, but it was pretty scary for my wife. I didn't go to a doctor, but did a Google self diagnosis and determined it to have been transient global amnesia.
    It is rare and occurs mainly in men over 50 and usually after sexual intercourse or extreme exertion!! Beware!

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Artmo,
    I hope you will see a doctor about this, you may have had something worse than TGA. Please do not ignore it much/any longer. Hope everything works out for you.

Bill

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huh? what? oh wait, OK, thanks for sharing! wait, what?

but seriously it could have been a TIA which is like a mini stroke. my Mom had one and you wouldn't know it now, but at the time the thing to do was call a doctor not ignore it like my parents did.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artmo View Post
    It is rare and occurs mainly in men over 50 and usually after sexual intercourse or extreme exertion!! Beware!
    So which one do you think caused it? Of course doing one of those things means you are doing the other too. And if you do do the one thing, and can't remember doing it, well that can lead to a whole host of other issues.

Seriously, get yourself checked out by your Dr., better safe than sorry.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wife and I rode our Trek 2000 along this route http://connect.garmin.com/dashboard?cid=4770928
    which includes a bit of a climb (4+ miles) for us flatlanders. We planned to stop at a pub at Fulking after a high speed descent, but when we got to the pub, I slowed for traffic, but didn't stop. When my stoker asked where I was going, I said I didn't know and that everything had gone blank. At first she thought I was kidding. She got me to sit down in the parking lot and asked a number of questions, none of which I remember, but I could tell her our UK and FL addresses. I could not remember anything from that morning, like going to the store for bread, riding up the hill or why we were where we were. After about 20 minutes, I was more or less OK and have been since, but it was pretty scary for my wife. I didn't go to a doctor, but did a Google self diagnosis and determined it to have been transient global amnesia.
    OK, let me see if I've got this straight. You had an episode of cognitive impairment and then did a self-diagnosis on the Internet? I think that's a bit risky. There are three factors that I urge you to consider. 1. Perhaps your judgment is less than stellar right after such an event. 2. We sometimes want to believe something, because the other options are more difficult to entertain. 3. Unless you are a trained medical professional, it’s a pretty risky thing to do. If it were me, I'd hate having to do it, but would go see a doctor. The risk involved just isn't worth not having it checked out.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get checked out! See a doctor. Google is not a substitute for a live person with an M.D. degree.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had this happen 35 years ago when I was racing Karts at Le Mans. This was during the 2nd 6 hour race I had done at this circuit and I completely forgot where the circuit went and had to a full lap slowly to remember where the track went. Had me worried but forgot about it till I went to the docs the following week with a headache. Hospital job and ECG and they asked me when I had got knocked out as I was suffering from Concussion. As far as I knew I hadn't but apparently I had been knocked over in the pit lane and I still cannot remember that happening.

Get to a quack as soon as possible to see if anything is wrong.

Will be in Brighton on Saturday for Brighton Breeze. A VW rally down on the front so might be able to arrange a meet.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Novara Verita, Trek 4500 MTB, Merckx Team SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See a neurologist. Please.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    Google is not a substitute for a live person with an M.D. degree.
    Maybe it is but you still should get a second opinion.

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Had this happen 35 years ago when I was racing Karts at Le Mans. This was during the 2nd 6 hour race I had done at this circuit and I completely forgot where the circuit went and had to a full lap slowly to remember where the track went. Had me worried but forgot about it till I went to the docs the following week with a headache. Hospital job and ECG and they asked me when I had got knocked out as I was suffering from Concussion. As far as I knew I hadn't but apparently I had been knocked over in the pit lane and I still cannot remember that happening.

Get to a quack as soon as possible to see if anything is wrong.

Will be in Brighton on Saturday for Brighton Breeze. A VW rally down on the front so might be able to arrange a meet.
    Hi Stapfam - we returned to Florida on Tuesday, so we've missed you yet again. Seeing doctor tomorrow, but am feeling fine and rode 25 brisk miles this morning with our oldie group. Nice to be back on our Comotion Macchiato. What a joy to ride. It's still 90 F here - bit different from when we left B-ton on Tuesday!

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That settles it! No more sex for this ole guy-dangers lurk. Thanks for the heads up.

Seriously-Dr. Google is usually where we go when we don't want the truth about a medical situation. Advise above is sufficient.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was not in denial, if that's what you mean. My wife asked me all the right questions during the episode, to determine if it was a stroke, and I passed. I recovered very quickly and when I got home, I Googled out of interest and found that my symptoms corresponded EXACTLY with TGA. I could have gone to the ER (for free) in the UK, but as I had no after-effects, decided to wait until I returned to FL. No, the doctors here are not better, in case that's a question.

Anyhow, thank you all for your concern and advice.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow-up:
    Went to my cardiologist on Friday for my 6-month check-up and told him about the amnesia incident. He asked if I had had any stroke symptoms, such as facial droop, slurred speech, etc, which I hadn't. He was concerned, however, that bearing in mind I have an a-fib history, it might have been a very minor TIA caused by a minute embolism. He said he could recommend a neurologist, but his opinion, based on the symptoms, is that it was a TGA. In any case, to be on the safe side, I should go from a daily aspirin back to Pradaxa.

I still believe that it was a TGA, based upon what I have read, comparing the symptoms of TIA with TGA. In addition, I have since found out that statins, which I take, can cause TGA. So I'll go back onto Pradaxa, which according to TV ads, can also kill me