Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Octoberfest/Seasonal Beer

Do you have a tasty Octoberfest/Seasonal beer at your local brewery? I just had the Octoberfest at the Triumph Brewing Company in Princeton, NJ and it was OK, but can't hold a candle to the Octoberfest beer from Santa Fe Brewing Company. http://www.santafebrewing.com/beer_detail/45

What do you have in your area - anything special? I'm also a big fan of Great Lakes Brewing Company's Christmas Ale.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My three favorite local Oktober Fest beers

Stoudt's Brewing Oktober Fest: http://www.stoudtsbeer.com/brewery_s...easonals.html#

Victory Brewing Fest Bier: http://victorybeer.com/beers/festbier/

Iron Hill Brewing Oktober Fest: http://www.ironhillbrewery.com/
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Berkshire Brewing Co. (BBC) (http://berkshirebrewingcompany.com/) and Willimantic Brewing Co. (http://www.willibrew.com/)

These are the best Octoberfests I've ever tasted. Would love to find some others. Actually I'm headed for the BRP and Fontana, NC via Asheville so in anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
    Last edited by bruce19; 10-01-12 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While not a true 'octoberfest' beer, try this is you can;
    http://www.longtrail.com/family-of-a...ibernator.aspx
    Might have to wait a few more weeks to get some.

Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper
    My Bikes
    Montague - Paratrooper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those boy and girls in Pottsville (PA) are making a reasonable version.

Not quite like the ones you get in Munich but it's cheaper than flying cross the big pond.

My Bikes
    N+1=20013 Green mongoose Beast, '74 Raleigh International, '58 Raleigh Dawn Tourist, Univega Alpine Sport, Univega Ladies MTB- Wife's, Townie 7D -Wife's, and a pile-o-spare British 'junque'
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    McGuires' Irish Pub in Destin' FL has their Octoberfest on tap now! It is the best I've had, but then I do work there. I am looking forward to enjoying a few after the Halloween run.

My Bikes
    2012 Caad 8 105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Guys, just got back from Germany where they brew real beer. Franziskaner Dunkles WeissBier. Good stuff. I have two bottles left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were at the store the other night and I noticed my favorite seasonal was in stock again.

Founder's Breakfast Stout. http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-ne...-stout-season/

Give it a try if you can find it in your area.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this is a timely post for me! In lieu of my usual Halloween Party, this year I am hosting an Oktoberfest party at my house. Winter is coming soon and my cycling season will come to an end once temps drop below 50 degrees.
    Bonfire, bratwurst, sauerkraut and BEER (and a prize for the best legs in Lederhosen) As a wine drinker with little knowledge of Oktoberfest beers, I was looking for ideas for which beers to serve. Any other suggestions, that can be purchased on the East Coast, will be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yodatic View Post
    McGuires' Irish Pub in Destin' FL has their Octoberfest on tap now! It is the best I've had, but then I do work there. I am looking forward to enjoying a few after the Halloween run.
    +1, but I go to the Pensacola site for good local brews, closer to our house.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyJ View Post
    Sorry Guys, just got back from Germany where they brew real beer. Franziskaner Dunkles WeissBier. Good stuff. I have two bottles left.
    Beer in Belgium is better IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not been to Belgium - pity - but I've enjoyed many a beer in Munich. I don't know what's better, mid July at the Chinesischer Turm in the English Garden in July, or one of the brewery restaurants in December during Kris Kringle Mart.

If you want a great place to drink beer, try one at the Bavarian in Taos Ski Valley at about 10,200'. http://thebavarian.net I like sitting at the bar on a sheepskin.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    Beer in Belgium is better IMHO.
    Good beer is good beer regardless of where it's from. I've had great beer in Belgium, Germany, England, Netherlands, Canada, and the USA. I'd rather a good local fresh beer, wherever I am, than something shipped in a cargo container half way around the world.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Good beer is good beer regardless of where it's from. I've had great beer in Belgium, Germany, England, Netherlands, Canada, and the USA. I'd rather a good local fresh beer, wherever I am, than something shipped in a cargo container half way around the world.
    Very true.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a couple of downtime days in Council Bluffs Ia, and last night I rode across the river to Omaha and met up with a fellow BFer for dinner.
    I tried one (or was it two) of these. http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/detai...5-1a2721d12236
    It certainly lives up to it's name. Wonderful hop flavour.
    In addition to the recommended food choices to accompany this beer, I can tell ya it goes great with a burger too.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Agree. Most German & Belgian beers are lagers, which I find all pretty much taste the same (although you do get a much richer flavor in a typical Eurobeer than you do with the watered-down commercial lagers that try to pass for beer in North America (Bud, Coors, Molson's in Canada).

Ales have a much more complex and interesting taste. When they over-hop it (IPA's) you can taste it. That said, I would love to be in Bavaria in September on a bike. I'd get a taste of as many of the dark lagers as I could! They serve the beer in the brewer's specific glass, atop the brewer's cardboard coaster. I always date the coaster, write down who I'm with, and keep it as a souvenir. And maybe just once I'd love to get inside a Munich beer hall, with everybody singing German songs, and the huge ladies in dirndls serving a dozen large steins at a time, just like in the travel videos...

Luis

My Bikes
    N+1=20013 Green mongoose Beast, '74 Raleigh International, '58 Raleigh Dawn Tourist, Univega Alpine Sport, Univega Ladies MTB- Wife's, Townie 7D -Wife's, and a pile-o-spare British 'junque'
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    +1, but I go to the Pensacola site for good local brews, closer to our house.

Bill
    I get to work there tomorrow, Wed., I think Mike Helf makes a pretty good Porter, too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    Well, this is a timely post for me! In lieu of my usual Halloween Party, this year I am hosting an Oktoberfest party at my house. Winter is coming soon and my cycling season will come to an end once temps drop below 50 degrees.
    Bonfire, bratwurst, sauerkraut and BEER (and a prize for the best legs in Lederhosen) As a wine drinker with little knowledge of Oktoberfest beers, I was looking for ideas for which beers to serve. Any other suggestions, that can be purchased on the East Coast, will be greatly appreciated.
    Party at miss k's house!!! Yay!

We need to know what the prize is going to be before making that long drive.

All kidding aside...

Proletarian as my tastes seem to be, I find Yuengling "Oktoberfest" to be quite tasty. Not sure if it can be found in NJ, 'though.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Party at miss k's house!!! Yay!

We need to know what the prize is going to be before making that long drive.

All kidding aside...

Proletarian as my tastes seem to be, I find Yuengling "Oktoberfest" to be quite tasty. Not sure if it can be found in NJ, 'though.
    Louis, mein liebling! You are welcome at my Oktoberfest any time, but I can't reveal the prize until I see the gehwerkzeuge. And yes, we get Yuengling Oktoberfest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're having a "Halloween" party on the 13th. Maybe we would be better "served" with an Octoberfest Party. Thanks for the idea!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yodatic View Post
    I get to work there tomorrow, Wed., I think Mike Helf makes a pretty good Porter, too!
    Sounds great, however I can't have anything alcoholic anymore. That is the luck of the draw, I suppose.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hofbrau! Direct from Munchen to your local big-box store, like Walmart, Meijers, et cetera.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who's gonna have the better legs, you or Louis?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm.....hard to say, Road Fan. I've met Louis, but I don't remember seeing his legs (I wouldn't have wanted to be caught ogling).
    I finished an 80 mile ride last weekend, so I'd guess mine are strong, but as for them being better than Louis'? I guess that would depend on your viewpoint.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    Agree. Most German & Belgian beers are lagers, which I find all pretty much taste the same (although you do get a much richer flavor in a typical Eurobeer than you do with the watered-down commercial lagers that try to pass for beer in North America (Bud, Coors, Molson's in Canada).

Ales have a much more complex and interesting taste. When they over-hop it (IPA's) you can taste it. That said, I would love to be in Bavaria in September on a bike. I'd get a taste of as many of the dark lagers as I could! They serve the beer in the brewer's specific glass, atop the brewer's cardboard coaster. I always date the coaster, write down who I'm with, and keep it as a souvenir. And maybe just once I'd love to get inside a Munich beer hall, with everybody singing German songs, and the huge ladies in dirndls serving a dozen large steins at a time, just like in the travel videos...

Luis
    Now I find Belgians like Stella and Affligem totally different from Hofbrau or St Pauli Girl, or my dim recollection of fresh generic helles in Austrian pubs.

I totally agree on IPAs and many America micros being overhopped. Among my latest faves are New Belgium Trappist and Ranger. Ranger is an IPA, but has a lot more flavor than most.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast