Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a century(miles), but getting there.

Well, tomorrow it is supposed to rain and rain all day. So, I got up early, 02:45, and got prepared. Started riding at about 03:20 and did 75 miles. Previously, metric centuries were my longest distance, but I wanted to push especially since I knew that tomorrow was a wash out. At the 20 mile mark I ate a breakfast bar and drank water while riding. At the 40 mile mark I stopped for two things--one, to sneak into some woods and relieve myself(it was dark) and two, to eat the peanut butter, sugar-free preserves, and banana sandwich I made the night before(also drank more water). Drank some more water a couple of more times while riding. Encountered a few sprinkles but the rain was pretty much nothing. It took me something around 4 hours--not sure of exact time since I didn't note it( I know I started by 03:20 and finished by about 07:45.).

Mikey 75 miles.jpg
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 10-01-12 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Left out a phrase in a sentence...now it makes sense.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do a lot of long rides like that 75 miler, then doing a 100 is going to be easy. The unknown will be the hydration and nutrition to prevent cramps on those last 25 miles. Most organized centuries will have stops and so should you in your training.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have insomnia? It seems like you keep getting up earlier and earlier. More power to you and keep doing what you're doing. I just hope you don't fall asleep while riding.

I do allot of charity rides where I have to be there by 6:00 AM registration so I get up around 4:30 AM to give me plenty of time for traveling to the event. Most times, it's all I can do to get myself started on these rides. Plenty of coffee on the way there is a requirement.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good grief. I can't remember the last time I started a ride before 8:00.

You would make a good randonneur.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mikey makes me look like my son when it comes to getting up early. My 0430 is late for him and I am just going to work not something great like a ride. Great to hear about the 75 Mikey, keep it up.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can ride 62 - 75 miles comfortably, you should not have a problem with a century. I would have at least one bottle of sport drink. Living in AZ I wear a camelbak for hydration and have bottles of sport drink for extra energy. I also carry Hammer Enduralyte for cramps.
    I would take it easy and just focus on finishing for your first few centuries. After you get a feel for them, you will have a better idea of the nutrition you need, and the rate you can handle for 100 miles.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    Do you have insomnia? It seems like you keep getting up earlier and earlier. More power to you and keep doing what you're doing. I just hope you don't fall asleep while riding.

I do allot of charity rides where I have to be there by 6:00 AM registration so I get up around 4:30 AM to give me plenty of time for traveling to the event. Most times, it's all I can do to get myself started on these rides. Plenty of coffee on the way there is a requirement.
    Don't have insomnia. For quite a while I've started my rides before 05:30--usually between 04:15 and 05:00 depending on when I wake up and finally get up. Last night I was in bed before 21:00 because I planned to do this ride and wanted to be up by 03:00 and out the door by 03:30(medication timing)--but I woke up at 02:15 and couldn't go back to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
    If you do a lot of long rides like that 75 miler, then doing a 100 is going to be easy. The unknown will be the hydration and nutrition to prevent cramps on those last 25 miles. Most organized centuries will have stops and so should you in your training.
    Quote Originally Posted by az_cyclist View Post
    If you can ride 62 - 75 miles comfortably, you should not have a problem with a century. I would have at least one bottle of sport drink. Living in AZ I wear a camelbak for hydration and have bottles of sport drink for extra energy. I also carry Hammer Enduralyte for cramps.
    I would take it easy and just focus on finishing for your first few centuries. After you get a feel for them, you will have a better idea of the nutrition you need, and the rate you can handle for 100 miles.
    I actually had 3 breakfast bars with me and the full sandwich(PBJ(sugar-free Preserves) and banana on potato bread), a 22oz bottle in the cage and a 16.9oz bottled water in a back pocket. Drank the 22oz(poured the 16.9 oz in the water bottle at the sandwich stop) + about 8oz of the bottled water(drank the remainder when I got home). It's was only 56-58F during my ride so if it were hotter, like AZ, I would want/need more water. With the relief/sandwich stop(used a wetnap before the sandwich), I was probably off the bike 7 or 8 minutes, walking in circles while eating. The sandwich was rather substantial which is why I didn't eat either or both of the two remaining breakfast bars. Also, before I rode, and before every ride(20, 30, 40, metric), I ate/eat a banana and half a slice of bread(rye this time).

Unless it's simple sugar free, I won't be drinking a sports drink--I'm a typeII diabetic. Didn't have problems with cramps but my avg was dropping in the last 20 miles. I actually felt fresher at the 40 mile mark than I do when I normally just do 40 miles--probably because I wasn't pressing to be at a higher avg mph.

My plan for the first century(miles, not metric) will be to do an organized one. I'm definitely doing the Tour-de-Cure(for diabetes) in 2013((April I believe)haven't decided on the metric or mile century) and then may well do the >>Cap2Cap<<, Capital to Capital(Williamsburg to Richmond back to Willamsburg) which raises money for >>The Virginia Capital Trail Foundation<<.

Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Good grief. I can't remember the last time I started a ride before 8:00.

Thanks. I'm usually up by 04:30.

Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Mikey makes me look like my son when it comes to getting up early. My 0430 is late for him and I am just going to work not something great like a ride. Great to hear about the 75 Mikey, keep it up.

Bill
    Thanks.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
    If you do a lot of long rides like that 75 miler, then doing a 100 is going to be easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by az_cyclist View Post
    If you can ride 62 - 75 miles comfortably, you should not have a problem with a century.
    They're right. You're doing well, and I'll bet you could do a century next week. (Hint - the Sea Gull Century is not far from you! I-64 east, US-13 north... www.seagullcentury.org )

Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    I HATE those 4:00am brevet starts!

But I'm sure I don't have to tell you - night riding is great fun. I've done quite a few night rides, including some that went right through the night. There's nothing like the quiet of a rural road at 4:00am with no sound other than your tires and the breeze past your ears.
    Regards,
    Duncan

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGlenday View Post
    But I'm sure I don't have to tell you - night riding is great fun. I've done quite a few night rides, including some that went right through the night. There's nothing like the quiet of a rural road at 4:00am with no sound other than your tires and the breeze past your ears.
    Good lights are a must. I have a nightrider, which is not bad. Several riders in my club ride many doubles, and they have ay-up lights. those are great for night riding.

I have ridden a 300k in the Phoenix area twice, both times the last week of December. From about 5:30 pm to when I got home at about 8:30 we were riding in the dark (and from 6 am to about 7:00 am too). From about 6 - 7:30 pm it was thru the desert, and was an interesting experience.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    az_cyclist is absolutely correct, definitely have good lighting when night riding.

I have two lights on in front when riding in the dark--a Magicshine 808e(on low which is still very bright) and a Blackburn 3.3 LED on strobe. On the wedge for the back(which has a reflective strip, I use a Radbot 1000 2W LED on flash(which also has a reflector). Even during daylight I use the Magicshine on flash(the flashes are full power(reportedly 1000 lumens) and the rear on flash.