Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2012 Caad 8 105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long do you give a new sadle (new bike) to work out.

OK, I have a whopping 44 miles on my bike, and I'm already not liking the saddle. What is a good adjustment time to wait for looking at other saddles.

My Bikes
    Colnago C40 HP, De Rosa-Primato, Titus Ti FCR, Pogliaghi Pista,Giant MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 miles, or 30 minutes on the bike, whichever comes first for me. I can usually tell by then if the saddle is going to work or not. Of course that's if you've been riding for a while, otherwise it takes time just to get your butt used to riding in the first place.
    Colnago C40 HP|Campy Record
    De Rosa Primato|Campy Record
    Titus Ti FCR|Campy Record
    Pogliaghi Pista|Campy Record
    Giant ATX 980|Shimano XT

LIVE LONG | RIDE HARD

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the padded leather-covered plastic saddles (Regal, Concor, Turbo), you should know right away. With a Brooks or similar, you have to break it in, so it could take quite a while.

That said, I used to be very comfortable on San Marco Era saddles when I was racing, although I would start to feel the embroidery on my one-hour track training sessions. It was only when I started doing the long randonneur rides again that I found this saddle to be quite unacceptable after 200 km. I now use a San Marco Regal on all my bikes, knowing that it will be comfortable over 400 km at least.

So I guess I would need to ride a new and different saddle for 3- or 400 km(12-16 hours at one time) before I would know if it suited my particular needs.

Luis

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No matter how particular I am on setting up a new saddle- that first ride will always cause some discomfort. If it is pain then the saddle has not been set up right. Normally takes to the 3rd. ride before I can see if the saddle is going to work or not. Will still take a bit of tweaking as the saddle adjusts to my butt though.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be helpful to know what type of saddle and what the discomfort is caused by.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    It might be helpful to know what type of saddle and what the discomfort is caused by.
    This...but if you're asking how long it takes to break in a new saddle, the answer may be "forever." all-leather saddles like Brookses will conform to your body after a few hundred miles, but plastic or other synthetic materials won't. Before giving up, though, you could fiddle with adjustments to be sure it's set up right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with Stapfam, I have had saddles that I didn't like very much after the first ride that began to grow on me after a few more rides. I generally try to make the first few rides on a new saddle short ones (1 hour or so) and work the distance up from there. The different shape of a new saddle will have to push around the soft tissue around your sits bones and you will be putting pressure on new areas that aren't used to it. Fine tuning the tilt and fore-aft location of the saddle is also important. Just because that location worked for your last saddle, doesn't mean that it will work for a new saddle. Give it a few more short rides before looking for another seat.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seatpost height , saddle angle can be adjusted . Saddle composition and size cannot . There are saddles I cannot stand , but Brooks always seem to reach an understanding with your sit bones (Ischial Tuberosities) . Try different angles and see if they improve the problems .

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still switch back and forth between a well seasoned Brooks B-17 and a experienced Brooks Pro. Some months are pro month, some are B-17 ones. Really though, the B-17 was pretty comfortable immediately, the Pro has requires a "marriage" with some really rocky parts over the first several hundred miles, now its pretty sweet.

One other thing I noticed with saddles, some are comfortable for short rides, and hell on longer ones. A Terry Fly was like that for me, pretty good for 25 miles or so, and by 70 it was horrible.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 3 road bikes amongst others but two of those road bikes have very similar saddles in shape and slight padding and as the bikes have the same geometry and seat post size- I can and do swop saddle and post from bike to bike without realising which saddle is on which bike. The 3rd is the Pinnie and this has the OM saddle on it still. After 6 months and plenty of rides that saddle is not as comfortable as the other two so it may be time for a new saddle for it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the most part I know on my first ride, not talking Brooks type saddles. At times I have found a saddle I liked on a first ride turned out to be not so great a couple of rides later.

My LBS has a box of test saddles; I found my perfect butt match after taking a few of them home for a couple of days.

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are new to cycling, give it 200-300 miles. If you are an experienced rider you should know right away, maybe one 50 mile ride.
    2013 Litespeed T5, 2012 Super Six, 2012 Bianchi Vigorelli, 2011 CAAD 10, 2011 Trek Project One, 2009 Trek Project One

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikejrff View Post
    If you are new to cycling, give it 200-300 miles. If you are an experienced rider you should know right away, maybe one 50 mile ride.
    This

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave the stock saddle on my new Trek 7.4FX 3 weeks. It was, after that time, which meant about 110-120 miles, actually ruining my cycling enjoyment because after 20 or 30 minutes it became so uncomfortable I had to constantly shift position and get out of the saddle. Finally put on a Bontrager Commuter Gel saddle which is a world of difference. Now after 20-30 minutes I don't even notice that I'm sitting on anything!

So I would say you should know after 1 or 1 1/2 weeks (maximum) of 3-5 rides per week.
    Best regards
    Barry,68,New Jersey
    2012 Trek 7.4FX - Exercise for life

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've given the Serfas RX Sport saddle 4 months now and I'll be taking it off and selling it, just don't like it. Sucks as it's the first time I've ever paid $60.00 for a saddle. I'll be buying a on sale $20.00 Fort'e Mens Softtail Saddle from Performance, gota be the BEST $20 (yes, on sale) saddle on the market, JMHO.
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

My Bikes
    Merlin Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've been riding awhile give your butt a chance to adapt to the new saddle.
    Make sure your saddle hasn't changed your measurements. Saddle height, fore/aft, angle,etc. should be the same and may require some changes as the new saddle is not the same as the old one.
    If the saddle is uncomfortable and the above are all ok then it probably won't ever be comfortable...that is why many of us have nice collections of new and barely used saddles...hooray for ebay !