Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: In training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In training

I may not be able to stay retired for too long so I opted to start practicing in order to get it right.

Today's lesson was to take a leisurly bike ride ingnoring any temptation towards deadlines. From my modest stable I chose the Tour Easy and aimlessly wandered out from home.

Before I knew it I found myself in the cemetery and chose to stop for a spell to watch some deer feeding on the grass. Then I wandered along the river trail and stopped to watch some herons fishing. Down at the beach I spent a good length of time visiting with an aquaintance who spends a lot his free time there. Feeling a grumbling in my tummy, I called my bride and we decided to meet for lunch along my now determined route. We had a swell lunch/visit.

Now with my tummy full of cheeseburger, fries, ice cream and coffee I was all set for some more exploring. Along the 390 bike trail I stopped and visited with a construction crew before riding the four mile gradual climb to route 104. On my way back through the Town of Greece I spied an Estate Sale and opted to stop in for a look-see and ended up chatting with the couple for almost 45 minutes. Our paths had come in close proximity of each others over the past several years, though we didn't know it at the time.

By the time I got home I had covered 26.5 miles, engaged in four enjoyable conversations, and watched several critters feeding. I think I might enjoy this retirement thing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    I may not be able to stay retired for too long so I opted to start practicing in order to get it right.

Today's lesson was to take a leisurly bike ride ingnoring any temptation towards deadlines. From my modest stable I chose the Tour Easy and aimlessly wandered out from home.

Before I knew it I found myself in the cemetery and chose to stop for a spell to watch some deer feeding on the grass. Then I wandered along the river trail and stopped to watch some herons fishing. Down at the beach I spent a good length of time visiting with an aquaintance who spends a lot his free time there. Feeling a grumbling in my tummy, I called my bride and we decided to meet for lunch along my now determined route. We had a swell lunch/visit.

Now with my tummy full of cheeseburger, fries, ice cream and coffee I was all set for some more exploring. Along the 390 bike trail I stopped and visited with a construction crew before riding the four mile gradual climb to route 104. On my way back through the Town of Greece I spied an Estate Sale and opted to stop in for a look-see and ended up chatting with the couple for almost 45 minutes. Our paths had come in close proximity of each others over the past several years, though we didn't know it at the time.

By the time I got home I had covered 26.5 miles, engaged in four enjoyable conversations, and watched several critters feeding. I think I might enjoy this retirement thing.
    You soon won't know how you ever had time to work.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't let the bride know that you have time for bike rides next month.

The list my wife has of jobs for me to do is longer than the jobs I am trying to avoid doing till next year.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Don't let the bride know that you have time for bike rides next month.

The list my wife has of jobs for me to do is longer than the jobs I am trying to avoid doing till next year.
    I don't think that you did it right, stap.

Your mistake was telling your wife that you were retiring. If you hadn't told her all you'd have to do is get up every morning just as if you were going to work and you'd have the whole day to yourself. That's what I'm going to do if I ever decide to give up driving the school bus.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cranky, I was hoping to run into you yesterday. I was leading a ride for work. (Does that make me a pro cyclist?) Our route.

It was the second of our two Biking the Branches rides--this visiting the five branches on the west side. Every year the library's Finance Office organizes visits to the ten branch libraries as sort of an inspection tour by library finances, buildings and maintenance, and management, in order to prepare for next year's budget. We also invite along city officials from finance, architectural services, council, and the administration. It's all done by bike so everyone gets a real feel for the neighborhoods and how the libraries fit into them. (Only once did someone yell from a porch, "Are you guys lost?")

Yesterday, the Deputy Mayor tagged along. His ride of choice? A Rans V-Rex. Full kit and clipless. The DM is no poseur either. His gear all looked well used (and also well maintained). And he rode from home to the start of the ride. (Afterwards, I believe he rode to City Hall.)

North of 104, I had the pleasure--along with the Deputy Mayor--of dropping the rest of the pack. We rode along at a comfortable pace talking bikes, leaving those talking shop behind. After visiting the Charlotte Branch, I took the group up River St by the O'Rourke Bridge, where we picked up the Riverway trail back to downtown. The DM was no slouch on the climbs out of the river gorge either, despite riding the 'bent.

But all along there, every 'bent rider I saw in the distance I hoped was you. Sorry we missed you.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I missed you!

The Charlotte Branch of the Library system...you were close enough to hear my lawn mower!!

I really wanted to ride yesterday but I had to hang around the house waiting for the doctor's office to call me. I'm lost without that big old appointment calendar to refer to. I did get the grass cut though.

I usually ride northbound on the Charlotte section of the River Trail and climb up Petten St.

Next time you ride that loop, you could consider extending it just a little by staying on River St. until you reach the O'Rorke Bridge. Take the trail that passes just under the bridgework and you'll pop out within a few yards of Hose 22!! The Bill Davies overlook at the site of the old Stutson St. drawbridge has a lot of cool pictures and history on display. Then just around the corner is the Lighthouse and associated gardens and a great view of the harbor and marinas. Take the Lake Ave. bridge over the RR tracks and you can access the river trail from the Port Terminal area. Of course you will probably be tempted to ride a loop around the park as long as you're there!!
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 10-05-12 at 06:42 PM.

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add a piece of pie, and the day would be perfect!
    The one who has the most bikes wins.