Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Age has its advantages

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Age has its advantages

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-12, 07:50 PM

Bikes: 70's Raleigh Sports, '12 Specialized Secteur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Age has its advantages

So over the summer my oldest son (college freshman) bought a fixer-upper cruiser at the campus bike auction so we spent some time fixin' and uppin'. It's been 15 yrs since I've been on a bike and working on his kinda got me to thinkin'. Why not get a new bike and get riding again? So I did. The last road bike I bought was in the early 80's while in college. Then went to a mtb cause I was gonna tear things up. But work, kids, life always seemed to get in the way.

Saturday, I road my first 10 miles in years and it felt great. Been lurking here for a few months and plan to spend more just hanging out. Thanks for all the inspiration.

Camp
Old 10-10-12, 08:09 PM

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe, '73/60 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome, you should find this is a good place to hang out.
Old 10-11-12, 12:18 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yet another thing you can blame your son for.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-11-12, 02:46 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Nice. Cycling can only help your body and spirit. Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 10-11-12, 05:50 AM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Same thing happened to me. My son is a triathlete and 2 years ago got me to start walking and riding his old mtb bike. Now I do 5k's and just finished my first century ride.

You sure can learn from you kids.
Old 10-11-12, 05:52 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
My son inherited my R500 this spring when I did the N+1 thingie for my CAAD 10 4. It is spiritually still mine and he has strict orders not to sell it of loan it out. I look at it from time to time as I service it and think that it would still be a great primary bike for me. Then I come to my senses.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 10-11-12, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome back to the wonderful world of cycling. Having your son as the gateway is just icing on the cake.
Old 10-11-12, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
My son borrowed my mountain bike 3 yrs ago I asked for it to be returned but I am still waiting.So I went out and bought a new one.With all the new upgrades disc brakes, shocks,etc I started riding all the time.Then I bought a new road bike.
Old 10-11-12, 07:40 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by campngolf
So over the summer my oldest son (college freshman) bought a fixer-upper cruiser at the campus bike auction so we spent some time fixin' and uppin'. It's been 15 yrs since I've been on a bike and working on his kinda got me to thinkin'. Why not get a new bike and get riding again? So I did. The last road bike I bought was in the early 80's while in college. Then went to a mtb cause I was gonna tear things up. But work, kids, life always seemed to get in the way.

Saturday, I road my first 10 miles in years and it felt great. Been lurking here for a few months and plan to spend more just hanging out. Thanks for all the inspiration.

Camp
Congratulations on your first 10 miles.

Old 10-11-12, 07:41 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock
My son borrowed my mountain bike 3 yrs ago I asked for it to be returned but I am still waiting.So I went out and bought a new one.With all the new upgrades disc brakes, shocks,etc I started riding all the time.Then I bought a new road bike.
Congratulations on the New Bike....What did you get?

Old 10-11-12, 07:59 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Yup being retired is fantastic. I worked for the same Co for 47 years, and friends told me that I would really miss the work. Wrong!!!! I do of course miss some of my customers, but I sure dont miss the stress.

In 2008 when I retired I treated myself to a RANS Stratus LE, and it now has 12500 miles on it. I have the blessing and advantage of being a very fortunate person. I am in great health for a 74 year old, actually I an in great conditon for a 50 year old. I cycled most of my life, but started up again in earnist in about 1980 when I started riding with my oldes sons. There is no doubt that cycling has kept me in the good condition that I am today.

Bottom line here is do something when you retire, if you dont you will rust out and then go to the old dirt bed!!!!
Old 10-11-12, 08:06 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Good to hear you're still riding with your son! I rode with my sons a lot when they were growing up, including 6 RAGBRAI's with my youngest son. Yet, when they grew up, they both made the same serious mistake (and I warned them!).

Both of my sons married girls who are not cyclists . . . terrible fate. And I know, I speak from experience here. My first wife (their Mother) was not a cyclist, hence we are no longer married. My present wife is a wonderful cyclist, so no worries (!), we are living (and riding) happily ever after!

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-11-12, 08:39 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
My son inherited my R500 this spring when I did the N+1 thingie for my CAAD 10 4. It is spiritually still mine and he has strict orders not to sell it of loan it out. I look at it from time to time as I service it and think that it would still be a great primary bike for me. Then I come to my senses.

Bill
My friend, who "gave me" her R500 feels the same: If I ever gave that bike away or even loaned it out, she would kill me... When I stop by her place, if I have her R500 on the back of my car she suggests I back the car into her driveway so nobody can see it. When I have my new DS 8.5, she doesn't say a word...

The R500 was a good bike then and it's still a good bike. Plus it's one of the last of the "Made in the USA" bikes... I am tempted to start making "improvements" to it, but have kept it completely original/stock (except for the tires & tubes and I had to replace the saddle which self destructed). It even has the original chain, sprockets and chain rings -- all of which are in good shape. (But, I did ask my LBS to put a power link on so I get the chain clean).

Make sure that kid takes care of it!
Old 10-11-12, 08:43 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by campngolf

Camp
Great to have you!
... But how about: Less readin' & More ridin' ?
Old 10-11-12, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Congratulations on the New Bike....What did you get?
Raleigh talus 8.0 MTB (aluminium)Raleigh record ace(steel frame)road bike.I enjoy both bikes.I crashed the road bike recently on some wet leaves going into a turn at 27.2 mph.advantage of a bicycle computer you know how fast the crash was.I must be a true cyclist after dusting myself off and checking for broken bones I checked the bike out.Some scratches and rideable.My leg arm and face are bleeding.I had a red shirt on and didn't notice the blood from my face at first,even with a helmet on.It started to rain and I saw red rain dripping onto my thigh.i pulled over and took a better look at myself.I'm a mess.Swollen knee can hardly walk,road rash whole left side of body,gash in cheek.Anyway I'm back together again and riding.
Old 10-11-12, 09:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock
Raleigh talus 8.0 MTB (aluminium)Raleigh record ace(steel frame)road bike.I enjoy both bikes.I crashed the road bike recently on some wet leaves going into a turn at 27.2 mph.advantage of a bicycle computer you know how fast the crash was.I must be a true cyclist after dusting myself off and checking for broken bones I checked the bike out.Some scratches and rideable.My leg arm and face are bleeding.I had a red shirt on and didn't notice the blood from my face at first,even with a helmet on.It started to rain and I saw red rain dripping onto my thigh.i pulled over and took a better look at myself.I'm a mess.Swollen knee can hardly walk,road rash whole left side of body,gash in cheek.Anyway I'm back together again and riding.
The body is, fortunately, mostly self-repairable... Glad you are OK...

But while "Age has its advantages" one of its disadvantages is that the body seems less able to repair itself as we get older...
... Maybe that's why we grow more cautious as we age and lose the 'indestructible" image of ourselves...

27 mph on a corner in wet leaves is in the "I'm indestructible" category....

... If you're married, I suspect you are STILL getting that lecture?
Old 10-11-12, 09:58 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to the addiction. You just cost yourself a lot of $$
Old 10-11-12, 10:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
Welcome to the addiction. You just cost yourself a lot of $$
+1