Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie to the forum and on a bike again after 45 years.

I knew I was way out of shape after spending the last 30+ years as an IT guy before finally retiring. I just didn't know how bad it was until this afternoon.

I ordered a couple of matching mixte frame Windsor Kensingtons from BikeDirect for my wife and I. No - I'm not a schill for BD. I'm on the east side of Atlanta below I-20. Our local bike shop didn't have anything I wanted, a city type 8 speed IGH. They were more than willing to order two from Giant at a cost of about $900.00 each. They would be mine whether we liked them or not. I told them thanks but no thanks.

The bikes finally arrived this afternoon. Putting them together was a piece of cake. The front tires on each bike could use a little truing. I'll get that done in a couple of weeks.

I did the wife's bike first and took it for a short ride, 1/4 mile or so. I was huffing and puffing when I got back. I put mine together and was planning on doing the same thing. Didn't happen. I was having fun and made a complete loop around the block. A measured 6/10 of a mile.

I know for most of y'all that's nothing but some of us have to start with baby steps. I wasn't exactly huffing and puffing this time but close. The heart rate was up significantly and my legs were like limp noodles when I finished. I think I'm in love.

My legs are starting to tighten up just a little which I expected. What I didn't expect was feeling it in the gut. I can't wait till tomorrow to do it somemore. This is one roundtoit that I will have no problems getting to.

My Bikes
    2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome and yep, its tough at the start. Indeed it does get easier. stick with it and check in if you have any startup questions - the folks here are both knowledgable and helpful. (and I get a bonus point for using knowledgable in a sentence).
    Oh, and congrats on making it to retirement, and you'll need to read about the pie rides.
    there is no signature.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WElcome back to the fold. Enjoy your roundtoit rides. You will be back before you know it.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard. I got on a year ago after a 35 year hiatus. And I'm really loving it. The great thing about starting out is the improvement is rapid. After a few months the progress slows down. But the longer rides get much more comfortable and fun.

The feeling in the gut surprised me as well. But it does end up helping you tighten up there and most of us can use a bit of that.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of us have come "back" to cycling after many years of taking a break. I started back on a more comfort bike, moved to a MTB, well added it,after about 600 miles I got a Road bike and a few months later picked up a flat bar cafe racer. But it all started with two to three mile rides and worked their way to 20 mile rides and finaly with the road bike 50 mile rides. Will be doing a century saturday. well I shoud add it is another century making it four this year. But we all have to start somewhere.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '85 Trek 470, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, your story is a familiar one here. Just keep riding and soon you will be looking for more challenges. Just to let you know up front, folks here will advise you to get a colonoscopy and a shingles vaccination if you have not already got 'em. Need to know yall's favorite pie too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny how it takes 40 years or more for most of us to stumble across cycling again and realize just how much fun it was/is. Welcome back!
    __o
    _'\<,_
    (*)/ (*)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. This forum was designed exctly for folks like you. Enjoy.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcome. As far as the colonoscopy I'm due again in about 5 years. Considering the shingles shot per the doctors recommendation. Favorite pie is pecan. What's with the pie?

Biking or swimming and weightlifting are basically the only low impact exercises left to me. I have disk issues in the neck and the neurologist said limited fast walking and no running. I love to swim but a swimming pool is a hole in the ground you pour money into. The weights are downstairs and I'm finally cleared after a year to start back up, slowly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cwelch View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. As far as the colonoscopy I'm due again in about 5 years. Considering the shingles shot per the doctors recommendation. Favorite pie is pecan. What's with the pie?

Biking or swimming and weightlifting are basically the only low impact exercises left to me. I have disk issues in the neck and the neurologist said limited fast walking and no running. I love to swim but a swimming pool is a hole in the ground you pour money into. The weights are downstairs and I'm finally cleared after a year to start back up, slowly.
    I swim 4-5 hours weekly, either at the rec center or 24 hour fitness. I have a full gym in the basement, and do resistance exercises and stretching several times weekly.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...biking)/page30
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-05-12 at 09:40 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I swim 4-5 hours weekly, either at the rec center or 24 hour fitness. I have a full gym in the basement, and do resistance exercises and stretching several times weekly.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...biking)/page30
    I second this quote.

Originally Posted by DnvrFoxThe Trigeminal Neuralgia has subsided, allowing me to step up my exercise routine. 70 pushups yesterday, lots of upper body. Stretching, 2 100 second planks daily, bridges, chest, back, swimming almost daily.
    I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!!!

On the other hand, very, very proud of you too!!

Hopefully I can eventually get myself close to my high school, college (gymnastics for both) and miltary physical condition. I was in great shape until I got out of the service and got married.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second this quote.

Originally Posted by DnvrFoxThe Trigeminal Neuralgia has subsided, allowing me to step up my exercise routine. 70 pushups yesterday, lots of upper body. Stretching, 2 100 second planks daily, bridges, chest, back, swimming almost daily.
    I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!!!

On the other hand, very, very proud of you too!!

Hopefully I can eventually get myself close to my high school, college (gymnastics for both) and miltary physical condition. I was in great shape until I got out of the service and got married.
    Oh! and I was feeling kind of proud of myself for a little bike riding...
    ... I'm clearly not in your league Denver!
    ....... But, maybe I should try to get there?

I think it is curious: people look at a fat, stiff old man who's idea of excercise is to waddle from the couch to the kitchen for another snack. His BMI is 34, his waist is 45", and he needs both arms to push himself up from the couch. And people say:
    "Poor guy, he's gettin' old"
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    Oh! and I was feeling kind of proud of myself for a little bike riding...
    ... I'm clearly not in your league Denver!
    ....... But, maybe I should try to get there?

I think it is curious: people look at a fat, stiff old man who's idea of excercise is to waddle from the couch to the kitchen for another snack. His BMI is 34, his waist is 45", and he needs both arms to push himself up from the couch. And people say:
    "Poor guy, he's gettin' old"
    I have recently done 73 consecutive pushups in honor of my upcoming 73rd birthday.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum! As mentioned, many of us came back to cycling after a long hiatus, myself included. To let you know you are not alone, my wife bought me a comfort bike for my 63rd birthday, a Giant Sedona ST. I took it out for a ride when we came home from the bike shop and probably rode for 3/4 of a mile. By the time the family came over for the birthday celebration, I was too tired and too sore to enjoy it. That was three years, 35 pounds and 4 bikes ago. Don't let the pain discourage you. It's a wonderful thing. Only advice I have for you is to save some money. If you are like most of us here, you'll be getting new bikes as the addiction gets worse.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I have recently done 73 consecutive pushups in honor of my upcoming 73rd birthday.
    I, I , I ... am speachless!
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome...like others, I too returned to cycling after a nearly 30 year hiatus. You will improve and you will feel better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the new bike. I am in the same boat, although I have not yet made the bike purchase. This forum is simply awesome! I have posted a simple question a few days ago on the type of bike I should get, and the amount of detailed response and encouragement was overwhelming. God bless y'all. I am hoping to use the long weekend to do some more bike checking.

For the back, I go to physical therapy three days a week, where I do traction, and back stabilization exercises. Holding those positions (e.g. plank, leg stretches, etc.) for 15 seconds is hard, and my whole body shakes live a leaf!! but soon enough we'll get there.

Best of luck folks and enjoy the weekend.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A journey of 1000 miles begins with one step. Welcome.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard 50+, you will enjoy the forum a lot, plenty of returning riders here. The long time members, like Denver, are very helpful to all of us. PIE is very important to 50+ as we base our calender year here on the annual Pie Ride, set by Stapfam each year in September. Most of us use any ride as a reason to have a great slice of Pie!!!!! The colonoscopy and shingles vaccine are a long running theme on all of our ages and the various medical maladies we deal with. Keep up the riding, no matter you distance or speed, the riding is its own reward and improvement will come as you continue. Glad you found the forum, hope you get to ride lots and as much as you want to.

Bill

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new bikes.

I ordered a couple of matching mixte frame Windsor Kensingtons from BikeDirect for my wife and I. No - I'm not a schill for BD. I'm on the east side of Atlanta below I-20. Our local bike shop didn't have anything I wanted, a city type 8 speed IGH. They were more than willing to order two from Giant at a cost of about $900.00 each. They would be mine whether we liked them or not. I told them thanks but no thanks.
    What shop are you talking about? Bicycle South in Decatur? Not the best or friendliest place. Or C-Town Bikes? Never been there but I haven't heard anything bad about them.

Stop by the Southeast Regional subforum and say hello to the locals in the Atlanta/Decatur thread.

Have fun on the bikes.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Congrats on the new bikes.

What shop are you talking about? Bicycle South in Decatur? Not the best or friendliest place. Or C-Town Bikes? Never been there but I haven't heard anything bad about them.

Stop by the Southeast Regional subforum and say hello to the locals in the Atlanta/Decatur thread.

Have fun on the bikes.
    I'd rather not say which bike shop it was. Overall they were very nice, friendly and helpful. I picked a lot of brains and got a lot of helpful information. They will be getting most, if not all, of my bike related business. The 1st thing they will be doing in a week or so is truing the front wheels on both bikes. The rears seem fine from an eyeball check.

I was surprised this morning that I had no leg soreness or stiffness. I did a ride around the block before lunch. It was about the same as the one yesterday, even though I did add a couple of hundred yards. I'm going to start slowly increasing the distance on each ride. I did another one late afternoon and I really felt it in the thighs going up the long sloping hill. The coast downhill was really nice.

Monday it's back to the weights again. I'm not looking forward to the squats but they will help with the riding.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience has been that adding flat miles vs. adding hills is quite different. I've been able to fairly steadily increase my flat distance, like you are doing. Hills have been another story. What worked for me (but a long time ago) was to find a steep but fairly short hill and then just do repeats.

In any case you are on the right track - go slowly,, listen to your body, it will tell you when you are ready for more.
    there is no signature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esteban58 View Post
    My experience has been that adding flat miles vs. adding hills is quite different. I've been able to fairly steadily increase my flat distance, like you are doing. Hills have been another story. What worked for me (but a long time ago) was to find a steep but fairly short hill and then just do repeats.

In any case you are on the right track - go slowly,, listen to your body, it will tell you when you are ready for more.
    I think it's telling me to take a day off tomorrow. I'm stiff in muscles I'd forgotten I had. From the ribcage to the thighs. Some of that might be from helping my son work on his truck yesterday evening and today. I was in some strange twisted positions that would have been more pleasureable with a willing partner. I didn't really feel like riding this afternoon since I was tired.

But I know how that goes. I'm not going to start making excuses. I actually felt pretty good but very tired afterward. After watching the Falcons game I took a nap during the Broncos Patriot game. Woke up stiff and sore.

The section of my subdivision that I'm riding only has one flat part. Most of it has what I consider to be long sloping hills with sharp drops on the other side leading into a turn. Then it's back to going uphill.

When I get a little bit better at this I'll change direction and start going up the steep sides and also move over to the other side of the subdivision which has more flats but also much steeper hills. The worst section there is one short steep climb, coast down to the valley ( probably a 50 - 60 ft vertical drop ) and immediately back up an even steeper hill to a flat section.

Now that I think about there isn't any really flat road areas around here. I've heard that one of the recently completed local bike paths is completely up and down with a few flats.

Tonight will probably be the first time I'm in bed before midnight in over a year.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like a challanging area to start up in... just remember, that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger (or something like that). Sounds like you have things pretty well figured out.
    there is no signature.