Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Mechanical Problem

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Mechanical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 02:39 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Mechanical Problem

Recently I've experienced a clicking noise on the drive side up around the crank. It started out without any noise, just something I could feel toward the top of the upstroke on the drive side pedal. Lately it is a clicking noise and it occurs more often when under more pressure such as going up a slight incline, not so much on the flat.

I checked to see if maybe the pedal was loose but it seems to be ok. I'm thinking it could be in the bottom bracket or maybe something in or near the derailleur being transferred to the crank. Or maybe the crank itself. I cannot seem to re-create the noise while the bike is on the stand.

Has anyone had a similar issue or have any ideas on what might be causing it?
Thanks
Old 10-08-12, 02:46 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Barring The usual of Pedal bearings and bottom bracket- Look at the sprockets. Does it occur in only one chain ring?

Then there are other body related causes as your weight shifts such as a Loose saddle or seat post related problem.

If it is always in the same pedal position it could be any of the above and I doubt it would be Dérailleur or chain related unless the chain is worn and has damage to it throughout the length and as you put power on at that part of the pedal stroke it clicks.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-08-12, 02:48 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I have the same clicking:

Replaced Bottom Bracket, Pedals, Chain Ring's, Chain, Seat Post and Saddle, Rear Wheel and Cassette.

Can find No Cracks in the frame.

Still have the noise.

Good luck.

Old 10-08-12, 02:57 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Had that problem, replaced bottom bracket, noise was gone!

YMMV.

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-08-12, 03:04 PM
West Coast Weenie

Bikes: 2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a 'debugging weird noises' link over in the maintenance section of the forums, you might try that.

If your cleats (on you shoes) are adjustable, it could also be that.

I had (have, sometimes) a random squeek that is pedal / crank / cleat related - I stopped by the LBS and the mechanic
there gave me a quick list of 4-5 things to check to help isolate the issue.

and of course YMMV.
Old 10-08-12, 03:05 PM
Galveston County Texas

My mechanic says to change the crank arm as the spider is pressed on.

We are going to put the bike on a trainer and try to find the noise with that method.

I use walking shoes.

Old 10-08-12, 03:10 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The bike and the bottom bracket are only 4 months old. Could the bottom bracket wear that fast? This is a bike I built and I'm sure the bottom bracket is secured properly. Also the noise started out sporadic and has gotten worse over time. I'm concerned that 10 wheels replaced a bunch of components and still has the noise. Maybe I will replace the bottom bracket this winter since that worked for Rick@ocrr.
Old 10-08-12, 03:20 PM
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Tim, you could have a slightly cracked or separating pedal with no sign of play unless you really manhandle it. Same with the BB; it will usually be at least a bit loose if there is anything wrong with the bearings, but you might have to exert a lot of force to notice anything if the problem is not too severe. With either a busted pedal or a spent BB, you're certainly going to feel it more when climbing.

10 Wheels, with everything you replaced, seems you've eliminated any possible culprit on the bike. Have you checked your feet? No joke, had a similar problem myself once: after dismounting from my rickety steed and taking off my shoes, noticed a clicking sound eminating from down below with every step I took — That problem eventually resolved itself but my pedals were still shot.
Old 10-08-12, 03:27 PM
Galveston County Texas

I Wear Rockport walking shoes, nothing to click.

Mine clicks three times when I stand to pedal in any chain ring.

I ride with my mechanic 4 times week.

We will find it.

Old 10-08-12, 03:39 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just ordered replacement pedals,figured that is the inexpensive way to start.
Old 10-08-12, 05:05 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I had a very similar noise recently and could have sworn it was in the bottom bracket or pedal. It was actually coming from the hub in the rear wheel. Tightened the hub a little and the noise went away.

I've also had a similar noise while climbing at low speeds due to cracked rims at a nipple.
Old 10-09-12, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
When you say you feel it at the top of the stroke, do you mean that the crank side arm somewhere between the 10 and 12 o'clock position?

This may or may not be it, but I had a similar thing last summer that drove me nuts for a few weeks. It turns out my crank arm was hitting the front derailleur cable. It didn't do it on every stroke, only when there was enough torque to flex the bike frame ever so little.
Old 10-09-12, 07:09 AM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
When you say you feel it at the top of the stroke, do you mean that the crank side arm somewhere between the 10 and 12 o'clock position?

This may or may not be it, but I had a similar thing last summer that drove me nuts for a few weeks. It turns out my crank arm was hitting the front derailleur cable. It didn't do it on every stroke, only when there was enough torque to flex the bike frame ever so little.
That is exactly where the noise occurs between 10 and 12 o'clock on the crank side. Will check proximity to the cable. Hope it's that simple.
Old 10-09-12, 07:41 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtruro
I cannot seem to re-create the noise while the bike is on the stand.

Has anyone had a similar issue or have any ideas on what might be causing it?
Thanks
We had a similar problem on our tandem. We thought it was the bottom bracket (under the stoker). We could not recreate the noise on the stand. It was actually the captain's seatpost. A bit of grease on the post...problem gone.
Old 10-09-12, 07:44 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Excess cable end and cap?
Pedal clip straps?
Seat rails?
Old 10-09-12, 09:26 AM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
All good suggestions. Usually is a slightly loos bolt/nut somewhere. I have also had clicking from the Stem and handlebar interface that only clicked when loaded a certain way.
Old 10-09-12, 09:34 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My noise turned out to be a less than very tight skewer although we did R&R a brand new BB. Go figure. Seat post is also a common source. Very hard to tell where these noises are actually coming from.
Old 10-09-12, 03:01 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
A number of you have referenced the seat or seat post. I don't understand how that could translate into a click that I can feel and sometimes hear in the area of the drive side pedal?
Bill, the BB is an ultegra 6700, English.
Old 10-09-12, 03:29 PM
Oh! That British Bloke ..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I help out in a LBS and write the jobs up for the workshop. I am now very careful NOT to indicate to the mechanics where the rider thinks the sound is coming from.

Various clicks and knocks "from the bottom bracket" frequently are found to be coming from elsewhere including, handlebar, stem, headset bearings, loose wheels, broken spokes, seat-pins, saddles, cracks in the frame, sloppy cables, loose cleats, broken shoes, pedals, chain-wheels, worn chains, cassettes, freehubs and just about anything else, including, of course, the cranks and bottom bracket bearings. Frames, particularly crabon fibre ones, do a great job of transmitting noise and clunks around.
Old 10-09-12, 05:45 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
1. My whole saddle on my Spec RH squeaks - took me quite a bit of time to figure it out. It still squeaks, but at least I know what it is!! I have yet to figure out exactly why.

2. I have had a funny noise on my utility road bike for some time, which I could not duplicate on the stand. Turns out the wire from the pickup to the odometer was rubbing, but ONLY when the bike would flex on turns so the wire would come in contact with the top of the wheel. I thought my entire wheel would need rebuilding.
Old 10-10-12, 10:48 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
That saddle/Seat post creak can appear anywhere on the bike when you are riding it. Often mistaken for crank noise because as you pedal- weight is transferred from the pedals to your body and it can be the weight shift on the saddle that makes you think the noise is crank related.

First things I check are for loose BB- Pedal noise from the bearings and then saddle. After that it is down to observation and elimination.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-10-12, 10:55 AM

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Tim, I had a similar problem. It turned out that the rear axle was broken. The quick release applied enough pressure to keep the two halves together but they creaked just slightly when loaded for climbing, etc.

Good luck.
Old 10-10-12, 10:56 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll bet it's a carbon fiber frame. As was pointed out somewhere above, carbon fiber frames are great at transmitting the smallest noises. You can have dust in your pedal bearings, and the frame will pick that up as a click.

I'm riding a steel frame, and all errant noises can be easily traced. When I was riding the carbon fiber Trek, I'd get all sorts of untraceable sounds.

Luis
Old 10-10-12, 06:17 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
I'll bet it's a carbon fiber frame. As was pointed out somewhere above, carbon fiber frames are great at transmitting the smallest noises. You can have dust in your pedal bearings, and the frame will pick that up as a click.

I'm riding a steel frame, and all errant noises can be easily traced. When I was riding the carbon fiber Trek, I'd get all sorts of untraceable sounds.

Luis
It is a steel frame. Went to the LBS today for something else but mentioned the noise to the mechanic. He thought the most likely source is a bad pedal. We talked about the seat post and he recommended making sure the post was well greased. I have done that and ordered anew pedal. If that doesn't do it, on to the more expensive components. Or maybe wait and see if it gets worse.
Old 10-11-12, 05:29 PM

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe, '73/60 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtruro
Recently I've experienced a clicking noise.
Google Henry Cho "Whats that clicking noise"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.