Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prescription sunglasses or not?

I am far sighted and have trouble reading close up (due to age). I have progressive prescription glasses and use clip-ons for sun glasses. These have worked fine for me so far. I was wondering if purchasing prescription sunglasses for bike riding is worth the cost?
    Your thoughts?

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyride View Post
    I am far sighted and have trouble reading close up (due to age). I have progressive prescription glasses and use clip-ons for sun glasses. These have worked fine for me so far. I was wondering if purchasing prescription sunglasses for bike riding is worth the cost?
    Your thoughts?
    In your situation I would just consider safety glasses with a bifocal type insert - inexpensive and some very sporty looking versions. I used these for years, but finally gave in to just bad eyesight and I have Rydons with a progressive snap in lens set. They are a bit heavy, but I can actually see!
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on your situation, of course. It's worth it for me.

Since I'm severely short-sighted, I have to wear glasses, which does the first job of keeping bugs out of my eyes when cruising downhill. Big (prescription) sunglasses work well, but my newer, very much lighter, regular glasses let enough turbulence around the lenses that I have a hard time seeing through the tears over 35 mph. Cycling-specific photochromic shades solve that, and work well for me down to pretty dark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are a good choice if close up is the issue

http://www.dualeyewear.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need glasses for distance and close up.

My Bikes
    2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't 'need' glasses, according to the DMV, but I wear them anyway (especially at night). I've been wearing non-prescription sunglasses when I ride, but I have the 'tearing up at high speed' problem too, and my sunglasses haven't been working so well as the daylight fades (duh!).
    I'm going to talk to my eye doc. about my options, but I'm hoping I can get something 'sport fit' and 'progressive'... we'll see how much that costs.
    there is no signature.

In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My prescription shades are tuned for distance. They suck for close up, but I have others for that. Since they are my "active" pair, distance was most important. I also fly RC planes, and this was paramount for that. Changing tires is a bit difficult, but that is the trade off that makes sense for me.
    Freedom is free. It's included in democracy. Democracy is hard. It involves dealing rationally with people you disagree with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the typical denial, then cheapie drug store readers, then stick on reader lenses to sunglasses and then at last I just sprung for a nice pair of semi wrap around prescription bifocal sunglasses. I use them nonstop all day, when in the car, on the motorcycle and of course on the bikes. I donít carry nonprescription bifocals with me during the day because the sunglasses work just fine indoors when Iím not spending a long period of time indoors.

It was sure worth it for me.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your thoughts?
    The biggest consideration, aside from clear vision, is not taking a bug or rock in the eye at speed.

If the $12+/- safety glasses with a bifocal work for you, just use those. I did so for years. But eventually, you need something for intermediate distance.

My opthamologist that owns the optical store would love to sell me a set of WileyX with interchangeable progressive lenses for $600+.

I've also considered Rudy Project and other prescription wraparounds. For sport glasses, forget about progressives. You get a double image that's blurred on the periphery. Picture an hour glass....that's where the "good" part of a progressive will be in a wraparound configuration.

Last week I took my prescription to WalMart and got a set of lined bifocal sport type sunglasses for $178. This is after I tried their progressives transitions. WalMart has a 30 day return no questions asked, and they were as good as their word.

I rode 90 miles in them last weekend and I think I've finally solved my problems at a reasonable cost.

I plan to get a set of clear lenses in the same frame so I don't have to wear my $500 titanium no-lines with a clip-on when riding in the evening.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need glasses for distance and close up.
    I just got a new prescription and while talking to the eye doctor she started talking to me about catoracts. Because I spend so much time on the bike and in the sun she was impressed with the lack of catoract development in these old eyes. She said one of the tings that can help to slow down such development is good sun glasses. Now comes catch 22 spend the money or make do without. Now I have a good pair of Costa Del Mar Eliminators that cost me over $300.00 last year. I hated to spend that much but thought to myself that my eyes were worth it. My new prescription is a bit stronger and I am not sure if I can still get curved lenses in this prescription so I may have to go with the insert style. But I plan of using some form of sun glasses to protect my eyes as long as I continue riding out in the sun. So my answer is, yes get sun glasses.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the wally world glasses idea. 200bucks for a pair of shatter resistant sunglasses sounds right. How dark will they tint them? The last pair I got from the ophthalmologist was barely dark and they said it was as dark as they could make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your thoughts?
    I use clip on sunglassesfrom Wally world,they cost less than 20$hereand are as good as rx sun glasses,or probably betterI, would not change
    Bud

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I just went through this, trying to decide which way to go. I tried clip-ons and they worked okay but made the glasses slide down my nose too much; got tired of always having to push them back up.

Then I tried transition glasses, which is what I use most of the time now. However, they don't really get dark enough, so I recently bought some prescription sun glasses. My perscription is too drastic to allow any wrap-around, so they are flat lens.

I've only done two rides so far with them (150 miles approx.) but they do seem like the best solution I've tried. They don't slide down and they are truely dark enough! So I would advise the OP, yes, go ahead and get the perscription sun glasses.

The only draw-back I can find is that on long rides, like double centuries, when I often start and finish in the dark, I would have to take my "normal" transition glasses along too.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in the same situation as the OP. Wore progressive lenses and couldn't see the numbers on my Cycle meters if I used regular non prescription sunglasses. Very frustrating! Wanted sunglasses that wrapped around my face to eliminate wind buffeting AND also be able to see the numbers. Wasn't willing to pay lots of $$$$$$. I got the Duel SL2 sunglasses mentioned in a earlier post. It only took one ride to get used to then and they work great!!!! They have a narrow bifocal lens at the bottom edge of the lens. Perfect for reading whatever is mounted to the handle bar. Also the price was around $50.00 so if they didn't work out, it wasn't to much of a risk.

I bought the glasses for cycling but now also use them for all my running. Let's me better see all the timers on my running watch!

My Bikes
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6c
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was worth it for me.

And it gives me a send set of glasses if I need them.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etw View Post
    These are a good choice if close up is the issue

http://www.dualeyewear.com
    +1
    I picked up these last spring. They work great for reading the cyclocomputer.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    2006 Fuji Absolute 4.0, 2011 Diamondback Podium 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get your prescription from your doc and go here:

http://www.eyebuydirect.com/cycling-...FQSe4AodASgAMw

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the wally world glasses idea. 200bucks for a pair of shatter resistant sunglasses sounds right. How dark will they tint them? The last pair I got from the ophthalmologist was barely dark and they said it was as dark as they could make it.
    The WalMart glasses were the best compromise I could find. And the trial period was risk free !!!!

These are much darker than the transition lenses. My only complaint has been that seem to have a tint of brown to them, rather than pure gray. I may take them back for a better set of lenses during the free return period. As they are, they are as dark as my regular clips on the $500 daytime glasses, or anything else I've worn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use stick on lenses by 20/20 optix. You can stick them inside any glasses you wear and turn them into readers. They are removable and reuseable.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your thoughts?
    Depends on your prescription. I am near sighted with a pretty strong prescription. I use Rudy On glasses with a prescription clip-on. I love it, I am only sorry that I didn't do it earlier.
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's largely a matter of personal preference, so there isn't a correct answer.

I went with single-vision Rx sunnies for a while, but decided that stopping and switching glasses to read a map was a big fat pain. I'm not a fan of stick-on or clip-on either. I finally went with progressive lenses in my sunnies. Got them polarized, and worked with my optician to select a lens more suited to outdoor activity. In other words, biased towards the distance portion rather than the middle or reading sections.

I've never been more pleased. The Carl Zeiss GT2 lenses in their highest-index with the polarizing are the best glasses I own. I can see better with them than I have with any other lens I've ever owned, and that includes the even more expensive Seiko Surmount progressives in my regular glasses, which were ground to the same prescription in the same lab, and measured and fitted by the same optician.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.óPeter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using progressive, transition lenses with no frame and tie arms/ear pieces. I put them on in the morning and go about my day forgetting that I'm wearing them. The newer transition lenses seem to adjust quicker than the old ones. So, it's one pair for all occassions. Well, that's not entirely true. I do have a pair of prescription sun glasses in the car. The transition lenses don't darken when exposed to light filtered by glass.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Wow, I just went through this, trying to decide which way to go. I tried clip-ons and they worked okay but made the glasses slide down my nose too much; got tired of always having to push them back up.

Then I tried transition glasses, which is what I use most of the time now. However, they don't really get dark enough, so I recently bought some prescription sun glasses. My perscription is too drastic to allow any wrap-around, so they are flat lens.

I've only done two rides so far with them (150 miles approx.) but they do seem like the best solution I've tried. They don't slide down and they are truely dark enough! So I would advise the OP, yes, go ahead and get the perscription sun glasses.

The only draw-back I can find is that on long rides, like double centuries, when I often start and finish in the dark, I would have to take my "normal" transition glasses along too.

Rick / OCRR
    I'm having about the same experience with my transition lenses although I suspect at 17% on the low end they are a bit darker than what you've used. The lenses on my Project Rudy Rydon glasses are not prescription (have inserts) so I'm definitely going to buy darker lenses for those bright days. This would also allow me to wear my cycling glass when driving for that "cool" look in my 2002 Jetta. I could have had custom tinted lenses made, but not knowing how fast my prescription might change (first prescription glasses) I chose to go with inserts and I've really been pleased other than the occasional desire to have darker lenses.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use clip ons and like them as I can flip them up or down as the light situation changes and as oldster commented they are a lot cheaper.

As a side note-did anyone else see the "60 min" segment on glasses this week-end past? I should buy stock in that company.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    I went with single-vision Rx sunnies for a while, but decided that stopping and switching glasses to read a map was a big fat pain.
    That's been my experience too. I once bought single-vision sun glasses because I couldn't imagine myself reading outdoors. What I found was all kinds of situations trying to read a map, cue sheet, bike computer etc. that I hadn't anticipated. To me the benefit of not having to think about which glasses I'm wearing is priceless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast