Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Bikes
    2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
    I know you are kidding(or hope so). Nothing says you have to do that kind of stuff. I ride a mtn bike all the time and rarely leave the ground. I hear people all the time say they wouldn't mtn bike "because it's dangerous". I feel a LOT safer on the mtn bike averaging a whopping 6-8 mph than the road bike going 40 mph downhill on unforgiving blacktop............... but that is just me.

THIS is mountain biking. Me videoing my friend in front of me. Scary!....not:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQCDj...3&feature=plcp
    You're not fooling anyone - I saw you catch big air off that ramp
    there is no signature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '85 Trek 470, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
    I know you are kidding(or hope so). Nothing says you have to do that kind of stuff. I ride a mtn bike all the time and rarely leave the ground. I hear people all the time say they wouldn't mtn bike "because it's dangerous". I feel a LOT safer on the mtn bike averaging a whopping 6-8 mph than the road bike going 40 mph downhill on unforgiving blacktop............... but that is just me.

THIS is mountain biking. Me videoing my friend in front of me. Scary!....not:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQCDj...3&feature=plcp
    That is my kind of mountain bike riding, not so much mountain but more off road somewhat level terrain. However, my worst fall as an adult was 3 years ago riding my mountain bike on a level connector trail when I hit a root and did an endo face plant and lacerated my knee. Speed was about 4 - 6 mph. Helmet took the major force of the landing and performed as designed by cushioning the skull. No damage to bike other then computer got ripped off when I went over the bars.

I cannot imagine crashing like those guys do and then get up to do it again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still enjoy riding my mountian bike. I enjoy twisty single track and try to keep both wheels on the ground. It's nice to mix it up between road and mountian. Besides I feel like a kid when I'm on my mountian bike!!!!!!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like mountain biking and I do some fast and some technical stuff, but nothing remotely like the video in the OP.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    Now that's what I call mountain biking!
    That's more my idea of mountain biking. Without the mountain. ^Blues has posted some nice video in the past of similar riding in his part of the country. Here in CT, this and some faster fire roads are more the normal terrain.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    holy manfred!!!
    2010 Kestrel RT900SL, 800k carbon, chorus/record, speedplay, zonda
    1997 Trek ZX6000, 6061w/manitou spyder, xt/xtr, time atac

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not got any Vids that are worth showing but our MTB terrain takes in the South Downs. A chalk ridge that runs along the coast and has a variety of types of terrain. The easy part is off the South downs way as you don't get the 15% hills for 1 mile over broken trails that are covered in scree and ruts.

DSC00080.jpg DSC00077.jpg

But off the downs you get MUD. Bikes get heavy and it has taken me years to get a bike that does not clog up and stop

DSC00099.jpg Drift.jpg

And cool weather doesn't stop us over here. Snow has the same effect as mud but gives a softer landing.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best winter trainer?: Mountain bike

2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    Specialized Camber Elite 29er
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    I'm 65 and love mountain biking, but my riding is a million miles from the type of riding on the video. To my mind that's more akin to trick riding, and I just don't have the skills for it. I like single-track and forest trail riding and the occasional trail centre ride - but I know my limitations these days and don't bounce when I hit the floor anymore. [snip]

In my area I find road riding much more dangerous due to narrow roads, pot-holes and inconsiderate drivers. I think if I lived in the States with the wide open roads I might do more road stuff as well as the mtb riding
    My feelings, exactly. I'll be 70 years old in a few months, and I ride only pretty flat dirt single-track. If I didn't ride a mountain bike (actually, more of an XC bike), I probably wouldn't ride at all. I sure won't ride on any of the roads around here. Hardly a month goes by without a news story of a bicyclist getting hit by a car, usually fatally.
    Last edited by jmiked; 10-12-12 at 09:51 PM.

Old, SLOW bike rider! ;)
    My Bikes
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Son and I raced "novice" level NORBA races in the early 80's, I had found memories so in 2009 I bought a new MTB. Humm, I found that what seemed so EASY and FUN, was now at 50+, SCARRY, sold the MTB within 6 months, never looked back! Living in Colorado Springs, MTB'ing is BIG and sometimes I get the desire to try again so I put "cyclo-cross" tires on my utiity hybrid and find a local dirt path or double track trail, that's as much DIRT as I can handle.
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB, converted to a "comfort bike"! :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to race dirt bikes through the woods. Mountain biking is like slow motion to me but I enjoy it because the skills cross over so well.

Here's some dirt bike videos I did in Colorado. I've posted them before, so some of you have seen them already and are bored with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40vXV...7&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_J02uzyENU&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzqdxUXiYgE&feature=plcp
    Last edited by bigbadwullf; 10-12-12 at 12:36 PM.

My Bikes
    Trek 610, Cannondale Bad Boy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I crossed over sometime in my early 40's just got to the point where it hurt more than it was fun.
    Only mad dogs, Englishmen, and triathletes go out in the mid day sun.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shot this one Sunday at FATS, the IMBA Epic trail system in South Carolina, just across the Savannah River from Augusta, GA. This was the most flowing trail I've ever ridden and I plan to go back when I can take the time to check out more of the dozens of miles of great trails at FATS and several other trails in the area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rI7i9CBh0I&feature=plcp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW!!

BD, I would love to ride that trail.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12