Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
    Who pays for this Demonstration Group Kodak Retiree plan? You? your company? or the taxpayers of America?
    It's a temporary program to test setting up a small "Group" in an otherwise "Community rated" state. The insurance companies will be able to bid for the retirees business with "Experience base pricing" derived from the general cost history of our "Group".

So the retirees are paying 100% of their insurance cost.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    It's a temporary program to test setting up a small "Group" in an otherwise "Community rated" state. The insurance companies will be able to bid for the retirees business with "Experience base pricing" derived from the general cost history of our "Group".

So the retirees are paying 100% of their insurance cost.
    Interesting, so the community rated state is Kodak retirees. This isn't really any different then what insurance companies use or still call "pools". A lot of insurance companies use to, or may still do, get a bunch of policy holders in a pool, then cancel that program for newbies but leave the current policy holders with their older program. Problem was as people developed medical issues the rates went up and those that didn't have medical issues would leave the pool to find cheaper insurance which in turn concentrated that pool with ill people who couldn't find insurance outside and their rates continued to go up and up till it was no longer affordable.

So as long as they Kodak group for retirees don't isolate the members from new members as they retire just because they end that program and put newbies into a different program then your rates should be fine.

Randomhead
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread had gone political for a page or so before anyone reported it. So cleaning it up was a pain. The posts I considered political are HERE.
    Seems like we should be able to respect our fellow BF'ers enough to leave our politics where the belong. Which is not in the 50+ forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on my way tomorrow to apply "In Person" for what's advertised as a full time job with benefits.

Wish me luck.

My Bikes
    Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck brother.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on my way tomorrow to apply "In Person" for what's advertised as a full time job with benefits.

Wish me luck.
    Best of luck.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck.
    Do they allow bikes on the premises?
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Bacchetta CA2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck COD!
    Cheers, Gerry
    gerryelam.wordpress.com

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wishing you good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wishing you all the best , hope it goes well .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truly hope things worked out at the application, Lenny, you need a break somewhere, right now. In my prayers.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cranky,

I haven't responded much because, well, I just didn't know what to say. But your situation is not unusual these days and I suspect it will becomen even more common in the years to come.

But, although misery loves company, it is still misery and you are in my thoughts and prayers. I just wish I had more to offer.

But, I do have confidence in you. You are obviously bright, resourceful and well balanced. I don't know where all this will take you -- but I am betting that you will have it come out to a happy ending (whatever that may be).

In the meantime, a little luck never hurts. So: Best of Luck to YOU!
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    This thread had gone political for a page or so before anyone reported it. So cleaning it up was a pain. The posts I considered political are HERE.
    Seems like we should be able to respect our fellow BF'ers enough to leave our politics where the belong. Which is not in the 50+ forum.
    Thanks!

My Bikes
    A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such a tough situation COD! I really hope good fortune heads your way again.
    "I bet German has a word for it. German has a word for everything."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh! What a let down!

Though I had e-mailed my interest, qualification, and then re-iterated and announced my anticipated arrival time in a follow up e-mail (both unresponed to), I was restricted to just filling out an application in the foyer.

I did manage to get a passer-by to deliver my application, Cover letter, and Resume to the HR Director's desk.

Sigh!!

Weather is predicted to be mild this weekend. I plan on unwinding with a slow ride and a lot of digital image recording.
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 10-17-12 at 08:20 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh! What a let down!

Though I had e-mailed my interest, qualification, and then re-iterated and announced my anticipated arrival time in a follow up e-mail (both unresponed to), I was restricted to just filling out an application in the foyer.

I did manage to get a passer-by to deliver my application, Cover letter, and Resume to the HR Director's desk.

Sigh!!

Weather is predicted to be mild this weekend. I plan on unwinding with a slow ride and a lot of digital image recording.
    I've been out of work since June so I hear you and feel your pain. I hate the new way of sending resumes, you have to stack the resume with key word or else your resume will never be seen by a human eye, the computer round files it automatically. So today companies are hiring people based on their computer skills and not on the skills they have for the job being applied for. It's a wonderful cold and impersonal society we're creating.

Anyway, stick to it, be positive, and always be looking and applying for jobs even if you think you have found one but haven't been hired officially.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .................. you have to stack the resume with key word or else your resume will never be seen by a human eye, the computer round files it automatically................
    Huh? I don't understand a word of this. I guess we're screwed.

My Bikes
    Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh? I don't understand a word of this. I guess we're screwed.
    It means that, in larger companies, resumes are "read" by software that looks for the presence of certain keywords, which may or may not have anything to do with your actual skills. Only if your resume passes this scan will a person take a look at it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lenny,
    Sorry the lead wasn't as expected, I imagine we have all experienced the same thing. Sitting in the foyer of an office, filling out the form can be a sinking feeling. Hope more leads and good luck come your way.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "new" way of processing resumes has been a real disappointment to me. Yet, it does exist. I'm wondering if anyone knows of web sites or inexpensive software that can help create resumes with keywords? Lenny, I think there must be a match between your experience and skills somewhere out there and hope it can be found soon. But as Winston Churchill said, "If you're going through hell, keep going."
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    The "new" way of processing resumes has been a real disappointment to me. Yet, it does exist. I'm wondering if anyone knows of web sites or inexpensive software that can help create resumes with keywords? Lenny, I think there must be a match between your experience and skills somewhere out there and hope it can be found soon. But as Winston Churchill said, "If you're going through hell, keep going."
    To make it worse, some companies are using a software program - the name of which I forget - to measure your presence on the internet - Facebook, Twitter, etc. The more exposure you show, the better for getting the job. I took the "test" and failed miserably.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-18-12 at 09:02 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    To make it worse, some companies are using a software program - the name of which I forget - to measure your presence on the internet - Facebook, Twitter, etc. The more exposure you show, the better for getting the job.
    I'm not one to speak -- because I pretty much just gave up on the whole mess. Fortunately, after 25 years in the hay-day years of IT I had enough saved to see me through till I could apply for Social Security... After that I took up what I THOUGHT was going to be a cheap hobby: Cycling... (You can't be right ALL of the time!)

But, back to COD...

I still find the best avenue to a new job is networking. It always has been and still is. As they say: "It ain't what you know, it's who..." But that doesn't mean to rely on nepotism or cronyism. Simply that a good inside reference can get you in the door to start selling yourself.

I look at the HR bottleneck that COD is facing like a big thick fortress wall trying to keep the invaders out of the system.

Conversely, when a manager or director points to somebody, the gates of that fortress can open...

Hopefully COD has some connections: LinkedIn and Facebook can help spread the word. But, in the end, it's whatever works to spread the word: "Cranky is Available -- and he's a good guy to have around"

Best of Luck Cranky! And keep on pluggin'
    ... You WILL get there...

Actually, I think my Mom said it best: "Finding a job is simply being in the right place at the right time..."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Networking is the best way. Problem is for some people who relocated, like I did to a different city about 9 years ago, is that your natural networking base is a lot lower in a new location, and my previous job dwelt with a lot of overseas clients that would gladly find me a position with one of them but I don't move out of the USA or even out of the city I'm now in, my entire immediate family including grandkids all live here, so I'm not leaving.

And it is true too about being at the right place at the right time, but to add to that having a connection, like chemical or personality connection to the person or persons doing the interview(s). I went to interview and one company (which I'm still waiting to hear back on), and the timing was perfect they need someone with my skill sets by the 1st. The first interviewer who was the second in command and older like myself clicked with me and we got a long great, the second interview with the manager of the department I would oversee was younger then I and he just couldn't wrap himself around me all that well, the third interview is yet to come but I think that one will go better because it involves the top dog who is older like myself. If the two older guys let the younger guy have the say so then I may not get the job, if the two older guys overrule the younger then I will have a job...assuming the second older guy and I click of course.

And I'm not sure why my presence on Facebook, Twitter, Linklin, etc has anything to do with increasing my odds to be hired, again that's just a company looking for someone who knows computers but may not know squat about the job or not enough experience for the job their apply for! Maybe that's why turn over rates are higher today then they use to be? A company hires someone because they had all the internet presence, all the key words in the resume and cover letter, had all the memorized robotic answers to interview questions, gets hired and can't do the job. Then the company looks for another employee using all the components they used to get the last employee and cycle repeats.

My Bikes
    2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    I'm not one to speak -- because I pretty much just gave up on the whole mess. Fortunately, after 25 years in the hay-day years of IT I had enough saved to see me through till I could apply for Social Security... After that I took up what I THOUGHT was going to be a cheap hobby: Cycling... (You can't be right ALL of the time!)

But, back to COD...

I still find the best avenue to a new job is networking. It always has been and still is. As they say: "It ain't what you know, it's who..." But that doesn't mean to rely on nepotism or cronyism. Simply that a good inside reference can get you in the door to start selling yourself.

I look at the HR bottleneck that COD is facing like a big thick fortress wall trying to keep the invaders out of the system.

Conversely, when a manager or director points to somebody, the gates of that fortress can open...

Hopefully COD has some connections: LinkedIn and Facebook can help spread the word. But, in the end, it's whatever works to spread the word: "Cranky is Available -- and he's a good guy to have around"

Best of Luck Cranky! And keep on pluggin'
    ... You WILL get there...

Actually, I think my Mom said it best: "Finding a job is simply being in the right place at the right time..."
    I went through this about 8 years back (worse maybe, because it was a lay off as company folded so absolutely no support). Networking is crucial - but also its 'using the resources in your community'. Out here, we had an 'Employment Development Department (EDD)' that ran classes on writing a resume, interviewing, etc., and associated with that was an organization that was volunteer based that served both as a network (this was pre linked-in days), and a support group - look around / ask around, I'll bet there's something similar in your area. At the least this can brush the cobwebs off both your resume and interviewing skills, at best it'll give you that crucial 'hiring manager' contact that is always better than trying to fight your way past HR.

Good Luck!
    there is no signature.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I'm not sure why my presence on Facebook, Twitter, Linklin, etc has anything to do with increasing my odds to be hired, ....
    Again, I don't know: but I have heard that company's do investigate an applicant's online life on Facebook, Twitter and who knows what else???? But, just like checking references, that takes time and money and it won't be done unless they are serious about hiring that person.

But, I would suspect those investigations are similar to criminal record and child molestation background checks: they are only used to screen out undesireables. That is, they will never work in your favor, but they can argue against you...

... So, Cranky could be in MAJOR trouble here: What if the investigate BF and he "Outed" him as a cyclist? Could be bad....

... But, more seriously, Cranky did talk about his potential health issues. They actually could discover more about him than he may care to reveal to a prospective employer... We should always assume that ANYTHING we do online will become public knowledge. Organizations exist with the sole purpose of mining personal data from the internet -- and others will mine it directly off of your PC or smart phone. Not to sound paranoid but: Somebody is tracking your every click...

... As somebody pointed out in a prior thread: We have arrived at 1984 and Big Brother is watching you! From Wikipedia:
    Big Brother is a fictional character in George Orwell's novel Nineteen Eighty-Four. He is the enigmatic dictator of Oceania, a totalitarian state taken to its utmost logical consequence – where the ruling Party wields total power for its own sake over the inhabitants.
    In the society that Orwell describes, everyone is under complete surveillance by the authorities, mainly by telescreens. The people are constantly reminded of this by the phrase "Big Brother is watching you", which is the core "truth" of the propaganda system in this state.
    Since the publication of Nineteen Eighty-Four, the term "Big Brother" has entered the lexicon as a synonym for abuse of government power, particularly in respect to civil liberties, often specifically related to mass surveillance.

No, Big Brother is not (necessarily) part of the government. But there is reason why the internet is "free"...
    ... You don't pay for it with you wallet -- but with your privacy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast