Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Enough already....I Give UP!!!! (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/851859-enough-already-i-give-up.html)

cranky old dude 10-11-12 02:13 PM

Enough already....I Give UP!!!!

Enough already. Make it stop.

No time for bikes because....

The day after I learn that Kodak is casting us retirees aside with no Health Care options I get my biopsy scheduled.

So far it looks like:
* My realtively comfortable retirement has been wretched from my grasp. Health Insurance will cost me 40% of my retirement income, plunging us deep into debt.
* I'm feverishly researching and applying for full time jobs.
* My PSA is high, my free PSA is below 10%, The biopsy is scheduled.

OK GOD. I'VE HAD ENOUGH!! UNCLE!!

p.s. I do have a hairbrained scheme that might or might not work....more on that when my head stops spinning. Those of you with a good memory caught a taste of it in the past. Even my bride thinks it might just work.

10 Wheels 10-11-12 02:16 PM

Another bump in your road.

Retro Grouch 10-11-12 02:24 PM

Oh man!

NOS88 10-11-12 02:41 PM

Ouch.

jdon 10-11-12 02:48 PM

Damn! How fast can you get a residence on the other side of the lake? Best of luck with this new twist you are dealing with.

CrankyFranky 10-11-12 03:05 PM

So sorry to hear this!

Now that you have a pre-existing condition, don't forget to vote!

Seriously, I hope things start looking more positive for you.

Louis 10-11-12 03:24 PM

You're overdue to catch a break, Cranky. Until then, ya gotta fight the madness.

Dudelsack 10-11-12 05:06 PM

It could happen to any of us. Unless someone is already happily retired, they're looking at a nightmare.

If you're involved in a narrative greater than yourself, it might make sense somehow.

BTW (stats say this should be brought up), a staff member here offed himself last month. Don't do that. His family was crushed. Don't be one of those. You seem too level for that, but so did my former coworker.

cranky old dude 10-11-12 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 14831980)
It could happen to any of us. Unless someone is already happily retired, they're looking at a nightmare.

If you're involved in a narrative greater than yourself, it might make sense somehow.

BTW (stats say this should be brought up), a staff member here offed himself last month. Don't do that. His family was crushed. Don't be one of those. You seem too level for that, but so did my former coworker.

Not to worry...one skeleton per tandem is enough, I always say.

Daspydyr 10-11-12 08:28 PM

Well, CRAP! That stinks.

The sun comes up every day and you get a chance to make something good happen. You can do it. Prayin for you.

JanMM 10-11-12 08:57 PM

Hang in there!

Gravity Aided 10-12-12 04:33 AM

Another old photo industry veteran
wishing you the very best , Cranky .
Praying for you .

qcpmsame 10-12-12 05:30 AM

Lenny,
Keep your head above the water and tread for all you are worth. I'll continue to pray for you and the missus in the troubling period y'all are having. Hope the biopsy comes back negative, at least.

Bill

curbtender 10-12-12 05:50 AM

The serfs must bow to there masters. Hang in there buddy, as stated, a lot of us sharing the boat.

Ali_Pine 10-12-12 06:47 AM

On top of it - they will be using a digital instrument during the procedure. No film required.

DnvrFox 10-12-12 07:18 AM

I would urge you to talk to someone in the NY bureaucracy regarding options for health insurance in your particular situation - or talk to the organization for your wife's particular situation. Even here in backwards CO we do have a few options for those with special health insurance needs. New York should be more advanced, hopefully.

rydabent 10-12-12 08:11 AM

Have a little hope. As I understand it Kodak has asked, but they have not been given permission to stop health payment for retirees.

cranky old dude 10-12-12 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 14833507)
I would urge you to talk to someone in the NY bureaucracy regarding options for health insurance in your particular situation - or talk to the organization for your wife's particular situation. Even here in backwards CO we do have a few options for those with special health insurance needs. New York should be more advanced, hopefully.

New York has been ahead of the curve in regards to passing regulations to ensure that everyone can obtain Health Insurance. For example, noone can be denied Insurance for pre existing conditions. New York also has numerous programs in place making Health Insurance financially availlable to the very low income families and individuals.

There is only one program in place to help low middle income folks like myself and that law was just pushed through this Summer. It's set up as a demonstration program allowing Kodak Retirees to be considered a "Group" and thusly qualifying us to purchase Insurance at a 'Group Rate'. I spoke with my State Senator's office this morning, the same Senator who created and championed the legislation, and they said that the legislation is so new that the methods of consumers acquireing this insurance have not yet been put into place.

Since New York health insurance rates are legislated to be "Community Based" rates, the few companies that do provide Health Insurance in the state charge exorbitant rates. In fact, there are only two companies in my county from which I can choose.

Needless to say, I'm job hunting.

cranky old dude 10-12-12 10:57 AM

In addition to the 40 pound weight loss, in an effort to appear more presentable in case of a job interview I got my hair cut and my beard trimmed.

I'm affraid to ride my recumbents now for fear of falling off due to the lack of proper physical accoutrements!! :eek:

volosong 10-12-12 11:05 AM

What a rotten situation. Hang in there - never give up.

Spoke 10-12-12 11:28 AM

"If you are going through Hell,
keep going."
-Winston Churchill

cranky old dude 10-12-12 01:20 PM

Thanks all for the empathy and advice.

I have some comments I'm dying to write, but my emotions are far too eratic right now.

Thank God I had the good fortune to marry a woman to knows enough to allow me the space needed to wrestle with self loathing over decisions made, dismay, pride, dispair, confidence, sence of failure, determination, fear, guilt,....whew, what a ride!!

Now, where can I buy some patience?

fat biker 10-12-12 01:48 PM

COD,

Man, that really bites.

I will be keeping a good thought for you.

Jeff, still fat

gregf83 10-12-12 04:14 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles. That really sucks.

That said, I was under the, perhaps incorrect, assumption that once you reached 65 in the US medicare benefits kicked in. Is this not correct or were you planning to retire before 65?

SammyJ 10-12-12 04:37 PM

Sorry to hear about you bad times. It's these times I NEED to ride the most.