User Tag List

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I like about this forum

I started cycling again a few years ago after a break of 30+ years to help me keep fit in retirement. I now have 5 bikes, cycle often and volunteer as a mechanic at a community bike renovation scheme. It's been a godsend at some very tough times.

My preference is mtb as we have coastal, forest and mountain trails nearby and I sold my road bikes years ago.

I sometimes feel a bit of an oddity on Internet forums as I'm 65 and didn't cut my teeth on mtbs in the 80s and 90s which gets me to the point of this thread.

What I like about this forum is that it recognises and addresses the issues that face older riders in a generally supportive and humorous way, and I don't feel patronised as an old geezer on a bike. There's no doubt that age does give you a better perspective on life, and I hope to give my perspective on issues in the future.

I might even get an avatar.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Set a trend on the avatar.

Colonoscopy image would be good.

5 bikes means a bigger shed in the future so start laying the foundations now.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Set a trend on the avatar.

5 bikes means a bigger shed in the future so start laying the foundations now.
    What IS it with you and colonoscopies??
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    Well, when I had mine, I tried to pretend that I was on an episode of "The X-Files", and I was being probed by aliens. That aside, it does seem to keep
    the 20-something crowd out. That, and talking about slide rules, Black and white TVs that only got three channels, Ed Sullivan, etc.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
    ... Black and white TVs that only got three channels, Ed Sullivan, etc.
    It's funny: with only three channels there was always something good to watch (like Ed Sullivan). Today with cable pushing 300+, there doesn't seem to be anything that I want to watch.

BUt, that's good. I'd rather be on the bike or getting it ready for the next ride than watching TV anyways...
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    Giant CRX3, Trek 7100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Australia we recently converted to digital TV and now instead of 4 channels we have 16. What I don't understand is why bother to have 7-one, 7-two, 7-HD and 7-mate when all 4 of them have exactly the same program every night. Waste of broadband or what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    "Don't look now, but he's behind you . . . !" That man's smile is unsettling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    I started cycling again a few years ago after a break of 30+ years to help me keep fit in retirement. I now have 5 bikes, cycle often and volunteer as a mechanic at a community bike renovation scheme. It's been a godsend at some very tough times.
    Good for you!!

Biking in all forms, has been a good relief and escape for me. I'm even enjoying commuting, although the rain does present some challenges.

I understand the humor, but I don't understand the hijacking, as in this thread. People need to be more respectful to the OP and stay on topic.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post

My preference is mtb as we have coastal, forest and mountain trails nearby and I sold my road bikes years ago.

I sometimes feel a bit of an oddity on Internet forums as I'm 65 and didn't cut my teeth on mtbs in the 80s and 90s which gets me to the point of this thread.

What I like about this forum is that it recognises and addresses the issues that face older riders in a generally supportive and humorous way, and I don't feel patronised as an old geezer on a bike. There's no doubt that age does give you a better perspective on life, and I hope to give my perspective on issues in the future.

I might even get an avatar.
    5 bikes? looks like you have the N+1 rule well in hand. But for some of us the number goes up and down. for me it was up to 8 down to two and now at 4. But number 5 or even 6 is always in the works. But some of us had to develop the shield of silence for the times we get caught up working on, cleaning or building a new bike. The way mine works is when I turn it on it can selectivly tune our sound attacks on my chosin passion. When I bought my SRAM red shifters I could just hear the sonic attack, " Thump...Thump...Why...do.....u thump...ne....w...thump.....thump....shifters???....Thump...Thump...

After turning off my sonic shield I say, "what? do you want to go out for dinner? Maybe a movie?"
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    You can eat yellow or orange Jello.

western Massachusetts (greater Springfield area)
    My Bikes
    Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent, Cignal tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you put all four flavor packs in the NuLytely it is.... well, maybe not better, but at least less bad!

My Bikes
    Trek 6500, Giant Escape 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
    Well, when I had mine, I tried to pretend that I was on an episode of "The X-Files", and I was being probed by aliens. That aside, it does seem to keep
    the 20-something crowd out. That, and talking about slide rules, Black and white TVs that only got three channels, Ed Sullivan, etc.
    I need to remember this because I am scheduled to have my regular colonoscopy in two weeks. I also had behavioral problems in school once I found out that I couldn't inherit my big brother's slide rule. Black & White TV's had their place too, you know? LOL

Seriously, thanks for starting this thread Gerryattrick. I am getting back into regular cycling after a long hiatus and was happy to find this forum. I survived a couple of flames and hope to get into a nice hybrid bike or a road bike by this spring. My Trek MB used to be the cat's meow, but I need something to tame the pavement.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
    But some of us had to develop the shield of silence for the times we get caught up working on, cleaning or building a new bike. The way mine works is when I turn it on it can selectivly tune our sound attacks on my chosin passion. When I bought my SRAM red shifters I could just hear the sonic attack, " Thump...Thump...Why...do.....u thump...ne....w...thump.....thump....shifters???....Thump...Thump...
    One might as well ask an artist why they need to paint another picture.