Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poor Timing......

I was scheduled to play in the Seniors Tour Pro Am this past Thursday and did a 40 mile bike ride the afternoon before. I've found that I play a little better if I have ridden at a comfortable pace the day before.

When I got back from my bike ride my back was really aching and sore. It got so I couldn't stand straight. I did a lot of stretches and did some pressure points my acupuncturist wife told me about. The next morning I felt great. I hit some range balls and all was well. We played the first hole and our team got off to a hot start. However when I got out of the cart at the 2nd tee and my back pain just about took my breath away. What a shocker. I can't tell you how difficult it is to play with a back like that. Anyway I went ahead and finished the round and was even able to help the team on a few holes. I was having to do some deep breathing just to withstand the pain standing over the ball.

I had a similar episode last year. I know it's just muscle imbalance so got to get back on the good habits for the back.

We played with Duffy Waldorf. Good guy and wine connoisseur. I've played with a lot of the tour players and Duffy hits it as far, if not further than most. Just needs for the putter to get working.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, take care of that back!

I don't know what your regimine is. For me, I need to do a set of stretching and strengthening exercises each day. When I do them I have NO back pain -- so I of course I start forgetting about them -- until the back pain reminds me...
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear the black Cervelos are easier on the back. lol Sorry to hear about your back as I know what you're dealing with. Hopefully it will straighten out quickly.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife had her hip replaced earlier this week and I was doing some stupid lifting of the hospital chairs up and over her bed for visitors. Those chairs were deceptively heavy. I've been begging her for some of her meds....

I did find some meds from my joint issues a while back and have taken a couple doses of those. My back was okay enough to do the Tour de Pig this morning. One of my favorite rides of the year. Little climbing!!
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn Joe, I guess I missed seeing you at the TdP today. It was a great ride though and there were a little over 600 riders. Barbecue was excellent as usual. But what great weather today.

I know about those back problems because I'm fighting them now. I take 3 or 4 Advil before a ride now.....and that's after getting a steroid shot in my back a few weeks ago. Back issues are a real pain.

I wish your wife well in recovering from the hip surgery. My sister had one not too long ago and she is doing fine. Well, except that she will soon need the other hip replaced.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope it heals up fast. I am going to resurrect my golf game for the end of this year. I am going to swing really easy.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there a few times (back pain). I've had several orthopods recommend various disc surgeries over the last 20yrs+ but I resist because I wasn't convinced anybody had a perfect diagnosis yet. Everybody is different but yours sounded so similar so I thought I'd mention my approach. I abandoned the orthopods and went to a pain management clinic to start getting spinal injections --both for relief and for diagnostic value. Even though an MRI shows some serious herniation areas, injections in those areas did very little. They again recommended surgery but I persisted and asked for "facet blocks." Bingo. Total and prolonged relief.

I thought mine were muscle issues (spasms etc) at first. Pain was sharp and severe in the core areas and would "take your breath away" as you described. Bending over and lifting even small loads after exercise would tend to trigger it. And then after sitting for a while and then standing I have to walk with a kind of "hunch" with my butt sticking out until I loosened up. But once I was loose again I could sometimes walk and play 18 holes.

After 20+ spinal injections over a few years I did a facet rhizotomy with great success and 2yrs of no pain at all. It came back and I just had another. I'm back to walking and carrying and can do 36 holes if I want (playing tomorrow).
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino