Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do I contravene the Pie regulations?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-15-12, 12:06 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts

I go out for a few 2/3 hour rides most weeks, sometimes alone, sometimes in a group, and like to stop for a coffee and something to eat somewhere along the way.

My problem is I usually eat Danish pastries at cafes or, if I'm off road, a pork pie from my rucksack. If there's a pub around it's sometimes a beer and a sandwich.

But it's rarely, if ever, a slice of fruit pie

Am I in contravention of any rules of this forum, or do the rules only apply to the west of the pond?

Is there a Bikeforums book of pie recipes available if I have to fall in line?
Old 10-15-12, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
People have used slight of hand to substitute pot pies, pizza pie, Hostess fruit pies, cheese cake, etc.... *The forum favorite seems to be Blueberry Pie but there is a small contingent of us "radical extremists" that think it is pretty hard to beat a good rhubarb pie. *Danish is probably not quite orthodox but I doubt that anyone will snivel too loudly should you choose to*announce*that you celebrated a ride with a danish. *Donuts, on the other hand, would most likely garner a few guffaws and some light ribbing. *
Old 10-15-12, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Mort Canard
People have used slight of hand to substitute pot pies, pizza pie, Hostess fruit pies, cheese cake, etc.... *The forum favorite seems to be Blueberry Pie but there is a small contingent of us "radical extremists" that think it is pretty hard to beat a good rhubarb pie. *Danish is probably not quite orthodox but I doubt that anyone will snivel too loudly should you choose to*announce*that you celebrated a ride with a danish. *Donuts, on the other hand, would most likely garner a few guffaws and some light ribbing. *
Well, unless you ride with these guys. Then I think donuts are mandatory.

Old 10-15-12, 01:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've read that blueberry pie is the official pie for bike enthusiast. As a back-up, any pie will do. Even a pork pie (?). Can't recall ever reading or hearing about a book.

For some, having a beer is a good (or better) replacement for pie. If beer is a motivating factor to keep you riding, then you're on the right track. Just don't over indulge where a BUI comes into play.

I'm lucky though, that I really like fruit pies. In a pinch, even a Hostess fruit pie will do.

Hey, just realized, 2/3 hour isn't that long. You could be guilty of over consumption without adequate riding time. You'll have to ask yourself.......did you really earn that danish or beer?

Let's be honest here, you may need to extend your ride to at least an hour or longer to truly earn those extra calories.

All the best.....
Old 10-15-12, 01:47 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
We have a problem in the UK But Cardiff may be different. We do not have "Fruit" Pies in the same abundance as the US. They take some looking for and if you are like me- the common one to be found is apple. I am not over keen on apple unless it is home made. But you want to taste some of the cakes and patisseries we have over here. A Good Danish is almost to pie standard- as is an Eccles cake-Chelsea Bun and as for the Savoury pies-

Then you get onto the Old standby of Bread Pudding and I will go out of my way for a slice of that stuff if properly made.

But Pie can still be found- Banoffie Pie originated within 6 miles of where I live- But one thing we do exceptionally well over here is Fruit crumble. That has to be served hot with custard and Autumn fruits is normally my substitute for Blueberry Pie as that is impossible to locate over here.

Closing the post now and I may be back--- I know there is a Raspberry pie in the freezer but it may take some time to find it under the bags of muffins- hot cross buns and crumpets. And I mean the English muffin that is nothing like your ones.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-15-12, 03:23 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Prune Danish would probably not be wise if you are biking.
Old 10-15-12, 03:51 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mort Canard
there is a small contingent of us "radical extremists" that think it is pretty hard to beat a good rhubarb pie. *
Whaddya mean its hard to beat a good rhubarb (an oxymoron if I've ever seen one) pie? Just use a big stick!
Old 10-15-12, 04:34 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Me? I'd opt for a Pasty. Thats the Cornish-Welsh foldover meat pie common in underground mining areas, NOT the stick-on nipple-cover thingie that wimmin strippers wear. My old man was from a mining town in the UP of Michigan, and we'd often have pasties. In fact, since there are no pasty shoppes hnear here, I've been known to get them mail-order!
Old 10-15-12, 04:57 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by GFish

Hey, just realized, 2/3 hour isn't that long. You could be guilty of over consumption without adequate riding time. You'll have to ask yourself.......did you really earn that danish or beer?

Let's be honest here, you may need to extend your ride to at least an hour or longer to truly earn those extra calories.

All the best.....
I'm not that unfit. My rides are 2 to 3 hours. Hope that allows me to eat mid-ride.

I much prefer meat pies to fruit pies so glad to see that delicacies like pork pies, steak & kidney pies and Cornish pasties (or Welsh Oggies) are acceptable as fuel for rides.

Sadly we don't see many blueberry pies over here, so I'll take your word for how good they are. I've been to the western States quite a few times on holiday and still can't get over the size of the pie servings in restaurants. Respect is due if you can eat those and still ride a bike.
Old 10-15-12, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Well, unless you ride with these guys. Then I think donuts are mandatory.

Dang, and I thought the police in Canada always wore those wide brimmed "Mountie" hats. Another shattered illusion.

Old 10-15-12, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Had an extra serving of blueberry pie on Saturday night and my Sunday ride seemed to go especially smooth.

Coincidence?
Old 10-15-12, 07:36 PM

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I eat more donuts than pie... Is that bad/worse?
Old 10-15-12, 08:06 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
We have a problem in the UK But Cardiff may be different. We do not have "Fruit" Pies in the same abundance as the US. They take some looking for.
On pie ride day David Bierbaum and I had to try 3 different places before we could find ANY pie at all.
Old 10-15-12, 08:53 PM

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe, '73/60 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
OK it sounds like the definition of "pie" is starting to encompass other PED's (Performance Enhancing Desserts). I am still somewhat new here and have been trying to follow the "suggested" after ride regimen recommended by more senior (posting wise) members. Now I feel I must confess that sometimes I have homemade banana pudding or pecan pie/ice cream instead of fruit or berry based baked products, its a southern thing.
Old 10-15-12, 10:06 PM
West Coast Weenie

Bikes: 2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, pie / strudel / custard / whatever, its all good in my book.
But we are coming up on Pumpkin Pie Season... no other pie that I know of (excepting pecan) has as special a place as pumpkin pie. Do we need to schedule a November pumpkin pie ride?