Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 10-13-12, 02:10 PM   #1
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
A 56 year old picks up a 34 year old

I'm 98% complete in preparing my new-to-me 1978 Trek TX900 for the road.

Two years ago I sold my 1974 paramount, a bike I had owned since new. I also sold a Trek 400 that had become my frequently used sports bike for Chicago area rides. I had been searching for a suitable replacement when the TX900 was shown to me.

The TX900 was referred to me by the most experienced Trek collector I'll ever meet. It has everything I wanted in a C&V bike, including: Columbus tubing, 3x6 drivetrain, 700c wheels with Campy NR high flange hubs. The fact that the bike is an American brand and that the frame size is XXL is perfect for me.

One issue to solve is that the bike was in Portland, OR. A Facebook friend responded to my request and became the facilitator. The bike was inspected, purchased and delivered to a Portland area LBS for shipping. In 10 days from initial contact it was in Chicago.

The frame size is 65cm c-to-c by 60 c-to-c. The stand-over is snug but the reach from the saddle is perfect.

The drivetrain is a mixture of Shimano Dura-ace and Deore XT! The crankset is SR Apex with 52, 40 & 34t chainrings. The pedals are Suntour Superbe. The headset, brake levers, brakes and shifters are Dura Ace. The Hubs are High Flange Campagnolo NR 36 hole, the rims are Mavic . The odd-ball drivetrain must have been added to the frameset in stages. Chances are that the Dura Ace bits were installed on the frameset when the bike was new and the other items were added later. I consider the drivetrain to be ideal for hilly century rides, so it will remain.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-12, 04:53 PM   #2
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
These May-December romances always come to a bad end...

Congratulations on your find. She has a classic beauty!
David Bierbaum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-12, 06:14 PM   #3
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratualtions! I wish the new couple many happy miles together...

And, I know what you mean: I have a 1992 Cannondale that is not really a classic yet, but I think of it as one and treat it as one...

On the other hand, I have a 6 week old Trek that is techinically superior to the Cannondale -- but my heart belongs to the Cannondale...
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-12, 06:38 PM   #4
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Very nice C&V find. Did you post in the C&V forum so someone could tell you that the fork is bent? You must be one very tall man, too.

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-12, 06:42 PM   #5
shadoman

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Triple, Schwinn Passage, Raleigh Tech 420, Viner Road Record, Soma Sport, Schwinn Tempo, Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Takara Prestige SS, Diamondback Outlook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
... I sold my 1974 paramount, a bike I had owned since new...

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT !?!?!?!?!?!?!?
shadoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-12, 07:30 PM   #6
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Very nice bike, but isn't that fork bent?
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-12, 07:39 PM   #7
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Very nice C&V find. Did you post in the C&V forum so someone could tell you that the fork is bent? You must be one very tall man, too.

Bill
It does look bent in the photo, but I've had the bike professionally checked and it's OK. I've seen other photo's of this model bike and they look like mine, too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/veloclassique/6727638817/

The funny thing about the bike fit is that I'm a lanky 6' 0". I fit large bikes that shouldn't fit and smaller bikes are uncomfortable.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-13-12 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-13-12, 07:42 PM   #8
Mort Canard

Bikes:
Very nice classic ride! Those old bikes from the 70s bike boom are very easy to fall in lover with.
Mort Canard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-12, 07:51 PM   #9
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

The bent fork is a running joke there, much like colonoscopy replies here. Sorry, I had to ask though.

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
Old 10-13-12, 07:53 PM   #10
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoman View Post
It was too small;

Old 10-13-12, 07:55 PM   #11
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Very nice bike, but isn't that fork bent?
My apologies. I should have added this
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-12, 07:59 PM   #12
Crankykentucky 

Bikes: Trek 6500, Giant Escape 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoman View Post
I agree! Those Paramounts are keepers. This Trek is a very nice find. Thanks for sharing the photos!
Crankykentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-12, 08:01 PM   #13
Crankykentucky 

Bikes: Trek 6500, Giant Escape 3
Quote:
It was too small;

We used to drool over the new bikes at the local Schwinn shop when I was a kid. What a great bike this is. I never owned one, but I got to ride a nice model one time.
Crankykentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-12, 08:12 PM   #14
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
Quote:
It was too small;

Maybe you should have put yourself in the dryer on hot, hot, hot... You might have shrunk enough to ride that beauty...

But, the Trek is a beauty too... I think you will be very happy with her ...
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-12, 10:37 PM   #15
bike56

Bikes: Trek 1200 Felt F3
Dam,I thought this thread was going to be about how you picked up a young chick on your bike,and then tell us how to do it
bike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-12, 04:21 AM   #16
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
^ That had also crossed my mind.
After some thought Barrett would have made the wiser of the two choices. The bike gets cranky just leave it in the shed and go grab some pie.
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-12, 04:35 AM   #17
zacster

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike56 View Post
Dam,I thought this thread was going to be about how you picked up a young chick on your bike,and then tell us how to do it
I did that yesterday. I'm 57 and she was about 30-35. I was riding pretty fast in the park and I passed her, and she grabbed my wheel. We stayed together for the next two laps of about 3.5 miles each. We chatted a bit, but were mostly riding too hard to chat, plus it was cold.

The secret is riding fast.
zacster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-12, 01:38 PM   #18
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Quote:
The funny thing about the bike fit is that I'm a lanky 6' 0". I fit large bikes that shouldn't fit and smaller bikes are uncomfortable.
Still impressed, I am 6'-1" and I have to ride a 56cm frame, both of my C'dales are this size and my previous SR300 and Motobecane Jubilee Sport were too. My inseam is just 31" so I have short legs and a long trunk. Drove the flight surgeons nuts when they were doing my anthropomorphic analysis during each flight physical. Never had a flight suit that fit properly, either.

Bill

Old 10-14-12, 05:35 PM   #19
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Still impressed, I am 6'-1" and I have to ride a 56cm frame, both of my C'dales are this size and my previous SR300 and Motobecane Jubilee Sport were too. My inseam is just 31" so I have short legs and a long trunk. Drove the flight surgeons nuts when they were doing my anthropomorphic analysis during each flight physical. Never had a flight suit that fit properly, either.

Bill
Yes, bike fit is a complex topic. I'm much more concerned about top-tube length than seat-tube length, as long as I can clear the standover height of the top-tube.

My ideal fit would include a 59cm top-tube and a 110mm stem with a compact handlebar. If the bike is a vintage model with a horizontal top-tube, a seat-tube length of 63cm is a good length.

This bike frame is bigger than my ideal, but still fits. The bike has a 60cm top-tube and a 100mm stem, providing about the same reach. The tall head-tube positions the handlebar higher, and closer than a shorter headtube.

I'll need to be on level ground to stand over the bike, but it will be a fun ride.
Old 10-14-12, 07:15 PM   #20
bike56

Bikes: Trek 1200 Felt F3
By the way,cool bike,I fixed up a old trek1200.The old bikes got some mojo,and you can get some great deals
bike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-12, 07:31 PM   #21
Dan Burkhart 

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
It was too small;

Wish I had known you were selling that beauty. Looks to be my about my size.
Dan Burkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-12, 08:25 PM   #22
shadoman

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Triple, Schwinn Passage, Raleigh Tech 420, Viner Road Record, Soma Sport, Schwinn Tempo, Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Takara Prestige SS, Diamondback Outlook
Quote:
It was too small;

*sob* MY size....
shadoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 01:58 PM   #23
PXrider

Bikes: Planet-X Nanolight (2011); Planet-X Uncle John (2013)
Looks like a great old Trek. I had a 1979 Trek 710 frame (Reynolds 531) that I purchased used in 1980 and rode for many years in that same size. I'm 6'4" so I needed the 64 cm size for the height and the top tube length. It was a great bike to ride, eventually to be replaced by a carbon bike. I ended up selling off the components a couple of years ago and finally sold the frame this past summer. Hopefully it will provide its new owner with many years of comfortable riding.
PXrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 07:28 PM   #24
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PXrider View Post
Looks like a great old Trek. I had a 1979 Trek 710 frame (Reynolds 531) that I purchased used in 1980 and rode for many years in that same size. I'm 6'4" so I needed the 64 cm size for the height and the top tube length. It was a great bike to ride, eventually to be replaced by a carbon bike. I ended up selling off the components a couple of years ago and finally sold the frame this past summer. Hopefully it will provide its new owner with many years of comfortable riding.
The 710 and 900 should be very similar performers. There are not that many of these old Treks around, It's nice to hear from an original owner. I am looking forward to a couple rides with the bike this week. I like having a C&V bike for fun rides, but I'm glad I have a modern CF bike to satisfy that need for speed.

I enjoyed this Trek for few years. I guess I have a thing for these bikes;

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-15-12 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-15-12, 07:35 PM   #25
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Great bike, is that freewheel one of the old Suntour 14-34 6 speeds? I'm going to be using one on a Trek 660 I'm putting together with the same crank gearing.
otg is offline   Reply With Quote