Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Hilly Hundred 2012 (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/852328-hilly-hundred-2012-a.html)

CraigB 10-14-12 09:02 AM

Hilly Hundred 2012

Any 50+ers besides me and JanMM doing the Hilly Hundred this year? It's less than a week away.

Like last year, I'm not ready. On one hand, I've got a larger mileage base than last year at this time, and I'm stronger. On the other hand, I'm a little heavier and another year older this time around.

Dudelsack 10-14-12 09:19 AM

I'd love to do that ride. Many local riders have. I've never put it on the calendar, though. I guess I'm intimidated with how tough it's supposed to be. I'm also a bender, although that doesn't seem to deter JanMM.

Retro Grouch 10-14-12 09:29 AM

It's been a long time (1980 maybe) since I did that ride. Won't be going this year.

freedomrider1 10-14-12 11:10 AM

I will be at the H.H.

BikeWNC 10-14-12 11:32 AM

I'd like to ride it someday. I have a gymnastics meet to attend this year. I'll also be missing the local Tour de Leaves ride that Sat. My kid is making me fat.

freedomrider1 10-14-12 11:55 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onE8utryxE8

kenmcchord 10-14-12 12:39 PM

I just checked out the site, wow there are some significant hills to be rode. Good luck to all!

downtube42 10-14-12 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 14839619)
I'd love to do that ride. Many local riders have. I've never put it on the calendar, though. I guess I'm intimidated with how tough it's supposed to be. I'm also a bender, although that doesn't seem to deter JanMM.

I've done the hilly 15 or 20 times; over the years I've done it on a roadbike, MTB, tandem, and recumbent. Fitness has been a far bigger factor than the bike. Unfortunately I can't make it this year because of a prior commitment. It's a party on wheels, with a tough bike ride going on in the background.

Dudelsack 10-14-12 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by freedomrider1 (Post 14839991)

Great line from a fine actor. He is missed.

BlazingPedals 10-14-12 06:30 PM

I've done Hilly a bunch of years, but not this one.

BlazingPedals 10-23-12 02:39 PM

Just to plant a seed, I plan on doing Hilly next year. The guy I usually ride with has gotten himself a velomobile and suddenly doesn't like those hilly courses; so I may be 'unaccompanied' on the ride, leaving more time to take it easy, at least a little bit (but not too much; my eyelids start twitching when I get passed.)

Dudelsack, don't be afraid of the reputation. By far most folks can make the hills just fine, even on 'bents.

CraigB 10-23-12 08:03 PM

You see all kinds of riders, on all kinds of bikes, from the super-serious hyper-carbon full-race-kitted speed junkies (a small subset of my team/club does both days' routes on Saturday, followed by Sunday's route by itself on Sunday) to people who look like they're out for their first ride ever, on a Wal-mart BSO. Some attack/attack/attack each hill, some stop and walk at the very first tug of gravity. No one can say that either type (or those in between) is having any more or less fun than the other, or a more or less fulfilling ride experience.

CraigB 10-23-12 08:04 PM

And then there are those who ride in costume (there's a contest). You see a lot of bees and other insects, and this year I saw a troupe of 3 mice who were warned by everyone who saw them to keep their tails away from the spokes.

dendawg 10-23-12 08:50 PM

We just got back home from the Hilly. We only rode the first day in the cold and drizzle. I think this is the 5th or 6th time we've done it and the first time we skipped day 2, but we were sore from the wet damp ride and decided to sleep-in. As we drove back north on 37 passing the rest stops we wished we had ridden. May go back next year, but the 12 hour drive from NYC gets harder than the hills each time we go.

JanMM 10-23-12 09:09 PM

Don't know how I missed this thread pre-HIlly.
Rode solo with an old friend Saturday and with stoker/wife on tandem Sunday.
Cool/damp Saturday and warm/sunny Sunday altho Sunday started out a bit cooler than Saturday. Glad I had put on a rear fender for Saturday.
The organizers promised more climbing on Saturday this year and I do believe it! Had to stop to address upper leg cramping Saturday towards the end at almost the same spot as last year's cramps. Thankfully, like last year, that was it for the weekend.
What fun!

downtube42 10-23-12 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by dendawg (Post 14873722)
We just got back home from the Hilly. We only rode the first day in the cold and drizzle. I think this is the 5th or 6th time we've done it and the first time we skipped day 2, but we were sore from the wet damp ride and decided to sleep-in. As we drove back north on 37 passing the rest stops we wished we had ridden. May go back next year, but the 12 hour drive from NYC gets harder than the hills each time we go.

Can't help with the drive, but as far as soreness for Sunday, schedule a massage after the ride Saturday and you'll be fresh Sunday morning. I was amazed what a difference it made.