Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hilly Hundred 2012

Any 50+ers besides me and JanMM doing the Hilly Hundred this year? It's less than a week away.

Like last year, I'm not ready. On one hand, I've got a larger mileage base than last year at this time, and I'm stronger. On the other hand, I'm a little heavier and another year older this time around.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd love to do that ride. Many local riders have. I've never put it on the calendar, though. I guess I'm intimidated with how tough it's supposed to be. I'm also a bender, although that doesn't seem to deter JanMM.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a long time (1980 maybe) since I did that ride. Won't be going this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be at the H.H.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to ride it someday. I have a gymnastics meet to attend this year. I'll also be missing the local Tour de Leaves ride that Sat. My kid is making me fat.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    2006 specialized s-works Tarmac, 2013 specialized Camber Expert Carbon Evo R29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked out the site, wow there are some significant hills to be rode. Good luck to all!

My Bikes
    too many/not enough
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    I'd love to do that ride. Many local riders have. I've never put it on the calendar, though. I guess I'm intimidated with how tough it's supposed to be. I'm also a bender, although that doesn't seem to deter JanMM.
    I've done the hilly 15 or 20 times; over the years I've done it on a roadbike, MTB, tandem, and recumbent. Fitness has been a far bigger factor than the bike. Unfortunately I can't make it this year because of a prior commitment. It's a party on wheels, with a tough bike ride going on in the background.
    What is bicycle touring?
    "So I kept looking and eventually found that a spark plug had same threads. So I cycled next two days until I got to Jackson, MS with a spark plug instead of right pedal." - mev

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomrider1 View Post
    Great line from a fine actor. He is missed.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done Hilly a bunch of years, but not this one.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to plant a seed, I plan on doing Hilly next year. The guy I usually ride with has gotten himself a velomobile and suddenly doesn't like those hilly courses; so I may be 'unaccompanied' on the ride, leaving more time to take it easy, at least a little bit (but not too much; my eyelids start twitching when I get passed.)

Dudelsack, don't be afraid of the reputation. By far most folks can make the hills just fine, even on 'bents.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You see all kinds of riders, on all kinds of bikes, from the super-serious hyper-carbon full-race-kitted speed junkies (a small subset of my team/club does both days' routes on Saturday, followed by Sunday's route by itself on Sunday) to people who look like they're out for their first ride ever, on a Wal-mart BSO. Some attack/attack/attack each hill, some stop and walk at the very first tug of gravity. No one can say that either type (or those in between) is having any more or less fun than the other, or a more or less fulfilling ride experience.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And then there are those who ride in costume (there's a contest). You see a lot of bees and other insects, and this year I saw a troupe of 3 mice who were warned by everyone who saw them to keep their tails away from the spokes.
    Craig in Indy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just got back home from the Hilly. We only rode the first day in the cold and drizzle. I think this is the 5th or 6th time we've done it and the first time we skipped day 2, but we were sore from the wet damp ride and decided to sleep-in. As we drove back north on 37 passing the rest stops we wished we had ridden. May go back next year, but the 12 hour drive from NYC gets harder than the hills each time we go.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know how I missed this thread pre-HIlly.
    Rode solo with an old friend Saturday and with stoker/wife on tandem Sunday.
    Cool/damp Saturday and warm/sunny Sunday altho Sunday started out a bit cooler than Saturday. Glad I had put on a rear fender for Saturday.
    The organizers promised more climbing on Saturday this year and I do believe it! Had to stop to address upper leg cramping Saturday towards the end at almost the same spot as last year's cramps. Thankfully, like last year, that was it for the weekend.
    What fun!
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    too many/not enough
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    We just got back home from the Hilly. We only rode the first day in the cold and drizzle. I think this is the 5th or 6th time we've done it and the first time we skipped day 2, but we were sore from the wet damp ride and decided to sleep-in. As we drove back north on 37 passing the rest stops we wished we had ridden. May go back next year, but the 12 hour drive from NYC gets harder than the hills each time we go.
    Can't help with the drive, but as far as soreness for Sunday, schedule a massage after the ride Saturday and you'll be fresh Sunday morning. I was amazed what a difference it made.
    What is bicycle touring?
    "So I kept looking and eventually found that a spark plug had same threads. So I cycled next two days until I got to Jackson, MS with a spark plug instead of right pedal." - mev