User Tag List

My Bikes
    Electra Townie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Y'all said I could do this and...

About a month ago I got an Electra Townie and re-entered the bicycling world after a 40-year hiatus, with a bang and some bruises. That first night I was thinking I had made a mistake, and posted that impression. In the answering thread of encouragement, someone warned me, it could get addicting. You're right -- I'm now up to 30 minutes a day (I had to take it in increments), still in my neighborhood, but ready for the bike trails in my city. Formerly wanted to get back into cycling so I could lose weight, now I want to lose a few pounds to improve my cycling. I'm also dreaming of my next bicycle...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aha, already got the N+1 thing going, we have you in our control now.....................

Glad you got the bike and stuck with your riding, sounds like the mileage is coming to you pretty well. Keep up the riding.

Ride Lots and Ride Safe,
    Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SAHabanera View Post
    About a month ago I got an Electra Townie and re-entered the bicycling world after a 40-year hiatus, with a bang and some bruises. That first night I was thinking I had made a mistake, and posted that impression. In the answering thread of encouragement, someone warned me, it could get addicting. You're right -- I'm now up to 30 minutes a day (I had to take it in increments), still in my neighborhood, but ready for the bike trails in my city. Formerly wanted to get back into cycling so I could lose weight, now I want to lose a few pounds to improve my cycling. I'm also dreaming of my next bicycle...
    Good job! Becoming addicted is the key - that means you're not just "exercising", you're adopting a lifestyle. Keep up the good work and keep us posted! Most of my time I post in the Clydesdale/Athena area and you will get a lot of support and encouragement if you post in there too. Ride Free!
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
    Bicycling is only done for altruistic reasons by lithe, beautiful people concerned with the welfare of future generations. Conversely anyone who drives a car for any reason is an obese couch potato too lazy to club baby seals themselves.
    Forum Moderator
    Community Guidelines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also dreaming of my next bicycle...
    Please don't buy a Next brand bicycle. They are Wally World throw away trash. Yeah, yeah, I know what you meant.

Glad you have caught the fever. It can lead to a lot of good outcomes.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kudos.

I'm also dreaming of my next bicycle...
    I see a lot of folks -- not quite as old as me -- riding these when I'm out riding. Is this on your N+1 list?

My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Kudos.

I see a lot of folks -- not quite as old as me -- riding these when I'm out riding. Is this on your N+1 list?

or make your own.

Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post

Just considering the screen name, I'm thinking OP should get something that has a Salsa frame.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the Townie has got you riding but the N+1 worries me. Don't jump to it too soon-get your moneys worth out of it before possibly going to the next stage.

Think you will admit that you are still down the bottom of the ladder on fitness and competence so you have a little while before you will "Need" a better bike.

That first bike is to get the body working- get the butt hardened- find the muscles you never knew you had and to learn the correct way to put the elastoplast on by yourself. Good going so far so keep enjoying it.

Well done on what you have done so far but remember that the pain should be starting soon.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Looks like the Townie has got you riding but the N+1 worries me. Don't jump to it too soon-get your moneys worth out of it before possibly going to the next stage.

Think you will admit that you are still down the bottom of the ladder on fitness and competence so you have a little while before you will "Need" a better bike.

That first bike is to get the body working- get the butt hardened- find the muscles you never knew you had and to learn the correct way to put the elastoplast on by yourself. Good going so far so keep enjoying it.

Well done on what you have done so far but remember that the pain should be starting soon.
    ^This! Without at least a bit of pain you won't get to those all important endorphins!

The idea that you should get the most out of the Townie is also good. I have had a good road bike since the 1970s but bought a Mountain bike about five years ago because I thought I needed a more upright riding position. Now the road bike seems much more natural to me again after a lot of years off the bike. If not careful you could end up buying a new bike every six months to follow your latest impulse or stage in progression. Work out for a while with what you already have before moving to the next stage and then make an intelligent decision about the next bike.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy