User Tag List

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I contravene the Pie regulations?

I go out for a few 2/3 hour rides most weeks, sometimes alone, sometimes in a group, and like to stop for a coffee and something to eat somewhere along the way.

My problem is I usually eat Danish pastries at cafes or, if I'm off road, a pork pie from my rucksack. If there's a pub around it's sometimes a beer and a sandwich.

But it's rarely, if ever, a slice of fruit pie

Am I in contravention of any rules of this forum, or do the rules only apply to the west of the pond?

Is there a Bikeforums book of pie recipes available if I have to fall in line?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People have used slight of hand to substitute pot pies, pizza pie, Hostess fruit pies, cheese cake, etc.... *The forum favorite seems to be Blueberry Pie but there is a small contingent of us "radical extremists" that think it is pretty hard to beat a good rhubarb pie. *Danish is probably not quite orthodox but I doubt that anyone will snivel too loudly should you choose to*announce*that you celebrated a ride with a danish. *Donuts, on the other hand, would most likely garner a few guffaws and some light ribbing. *
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Canard View Post
    People have used slight of hand to substitute pot pies, pizza pie, Hostess fruit pies, cheese cake, etc.... *The forum favorite seems to be Blueberry Pie but there is a small contingent of us "radical extremists" that think it is pretty hard to beat a good rhubarb pie. *Danish is probably not quite orthodox but I doubt that anyone will snivel too loudly should you choose to*announce*that you celebrated a ride with a danish. *Donuts, on the other hand, would most likely garner a few guffaws and some light ribbing. *
    Well, unless you ride with these guys. Then I think donuts are mandatory.

Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read that blueberry pie is the official pie for bike enthusiast. As a back-up, any pie will do. Even a pork pie (?). Can't recall ever reading or hearing about a book.

For some, having a beer is a good (or better) replacement for pie. If beer is a motivating factor to keep you riding, then you're on the right track. Just don't over indulge where a BUI comes into play.

I'm lucky though, that I really like fruit pies. In a pinch, even a Hostess fruit pie will do.

Hey, just realized, 2/3 hour isn't that long. You could be guilty of over consumption without adequate riding time. You'll have to ask yourself.......did you really earn that danish or beer?

Let's be honest here, you may need to extend your ride to at least an hour or longer to truly earn those extra calories.

All the best.....

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a problem in the UK But Cardiff may be different. We do not have "Fruit" Pies in the same abundance as the US. They take some looking for and if you are like me- the common one to be found is apple. I am not over keen on apple unless it is home made. But you want to taste some of the cakes and patisseries we have over here. A Good Danish is almost to pie standard- as is an Eccles cake-Chelsea Bun and as for the Savoury pies-

Then you get onto the Old standby of Bread Pudding and I will go out of my way for a slice of that stuff if properly made.

But Pie can still be found- Banoffie Pie originated within 6 miles of where I live- But one thing we do exceptionally well over here is Fruit crumble. That has to be served hot with custard and Autumn fruits is normally my substitute for Blueberry Pie as that is impossible to locate over here.

Closing the post now and I may be back--- I know there is a Raspberry pie in the freezer but it may take some time to find it under the bags of muffins- hot cross buns and crumpets. And I mean the English muffin that is nothing like your ones.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prune Danish would probably not be wise if you are biking.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Canard View Post
    there is a small contingent of us "radical extremists" that think it is pretty hard to beat a good rhubarb pie. *
    Whaddya mean its hard to beat a good rhubarb (an oxymoron if I've ever seen one) pie? Just use a big stick!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Over forty victim of Fate Cougrrcj's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A few...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me? I'd opt for a Pasty. Thats the Cornish-Welsh foldover meat pie common in underground mining areas, NOT the stick-on nipple-cover thingie that wimmin strippers wear. My old man was from a mining town in the UP of Michigan, and we'd often have pasties. In fact, since there are no pasty shoppes hnear here, I've been known to get them mail-order!

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GFish View Post

Hey, just realized, 2/3 hour isn't that long. You could be guilty of over consumption without adequate riding time. You'll have to ask yourself.......did you really earn that danish or beer?

Let's be honest here, you may need to extend your ride to at least an hour or longer to truly earn those extra calories.

All the best.....
    I'm not that unfit. My rides are 2 to 3 hours. Hope that allows me to eat mid-ride.

I much prefer meat pies to fruit pies so glad to see that delicacies like pork pies, steak & kidney pies and Cornish pasties (or Welsh Oggies) are acceptable as fuel for rides.

Sadly we don't see many blueberry pies over here, so I'll take your word for how good they are. I've been to the western States quite a few times on holiday and still can't get over the size of the pie servings in restaurants. Respect is due if you can eat those and still ride a bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    Well, unless you ride with these guys. Then I think donuts are mandatory.

Dang, and I thought the police in Canada always wore those wide brimmed "Mountie" hats. Another shattered illusion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had an extra serving of blueberry pie on Saturday night and my Sunday ride seemed to go especially smooth.

Coincidence?

My Bikes
    27 speed oryx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I eat more donuts than pie... Is that bad/worse?

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    We have a problem in the UK But Cardiff may be different. We do not have "Fruit" Pies in the same abundance as the US. They take some looking for.
    On pie ride day David Bierbaum and I had to try 3 different places before we could find ANY pie at all.

My Bikes
    '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '85 Trek 470, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK it sounds like the definition of "pie" is starting to encompass other PED's (Performance Enhancing Desserts). I am still somewhat new here and have been trying to follow the "suggested" after ride regimen recommended by more senior (posting wise) members. Now I feel I must confess that sometimes I have homemade banana pudding or pecan pie/ice cream instead of fruit or berry based baked products, its a southern thing.

My Bikes
    2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, pie / strudel / custard / whatever, its all good in my book.
    But we are coming up on Pumpkin Pie Season... no other pie that I know of (excepting pecan) has as special a place as pumpkin pie. Do we need to schedule a November pumpkin pie ride?
    there is no signature.