Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Randomhead
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

am I the only one that hates politics on a bike forum?

I come here to get away from that nonsense, and yet people insist on posting political posts. The difference between me and most of you is that I can make those posts go away.

Here's the deal. If you want a thread to stay here, and someone posts a political post in that thread, report it right away. I don't want to make editorial decisions about people's posts. There have been two threads where someone posted something political on page 1 and it wasn't reported until the thread had at least a couple more pages. So it's too much of a mess for us to clean up.

I like 50+, and I think it should be a friendly place. If people start feeling free to post about politics, it's not a friendly place.

My Bikes
    too many/not enough
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds great
    What is bicycle touring?
    "So I kept looking and eventually found that a spark plug had same threads. So I cycled next two days until I got to Jackson, MS with a spark plug instead of right pedal." - mev

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would hope that the definition of "politics" is not one person's narrow take.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that's a timely reminder, at least here in the States. I'll try to not do anything reportable, but I think I'll have to count on more easily offended folks to do the reporting.

My Bikes
    Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, you are saying once you turn Fifty you go green to red and the sandmen come?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't say I've noticed much political comment on this site.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    This is a critical point. My definition of "political" allows for a lot more latitude than most in this forum would like from what I've seen. On a Ducati forum where I post the "political" posts would offend most of the people here I'm sure. I'm willing to abide by the rules but it would be nice to have a definition to work with.

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing I don't like about political posts is changes the complete tone of the thread for the worse.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
    The thing I don't like about political posts is changes the complete tone of the thread for the worse.
    Sometimes true, but sometimes it makes a thread more meaningful and interesting. I'm for a little leeway and I don't think one complaint, in and of itself, should get a thread moved.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    I come here to get away from that nonsense, and yet people insist on posting political posts. The difference between me and most of you is that I can make those posts go away.

Here's the deal. If you want a thread to stay here, and someone posts a political post in that thread, report it right away. I don't want to make editorial decisions about people's posts. There have been two threads where someone posted something political on page 1 and it wasn't reported until the thread had at least a couple more pages. So it's too much of a mess for us to clean up.

I like 50+, and I think it should be a friendly place. If people start feeling free to post about politics, it's not a friendly place.
    I was Admin and Mod on a forum with over 100,000 members and it was one of the rowdiest motorcycle forums on the web. As mods and admin we always felt it was our role to read all the threads in the forums we modded and keep control rather than expect the members to start tattling to us.

PS...A forum Mod job is truly thankless. Even though I prefer a different monitoring style, I truly appreciate what you folks do to keep the forum running. I turned in my Admin/Mod keys and went back to being just an inmate. For me logging on had begun to feel like work; it went back to being fun again without the keys.

By the way, I wonder if the hidden moderator forum on this site is as much fun as the one we had?

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno - I'm fine with keeping politics out of this forum, but I'd be very wary of a heavy hand. Two examples:

1. The thread about Lance had some commentary about Livestrong supporting Obamacare, and I thought that that was besides the point, but I'd hate to see the whole thread tossed because of a few stray comments.

2. Talk about *bicycle* politics seems fair game for this site- for example some time back there was discussion about a town (in Colorado?) banning cyclists on its streets and that belongs here. So does discussion about bicycle-friendly urban planning. And not that I want to see yet another endless debate about helmet laws (please god, not another of those!), but technically I think this sort of discussion is fair game here.

My Bikes
    Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If one wants to debate politics, why do it here? Why not go to one of the many political forums?

Randomhead
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also hope that one person's report to the mods of "political" is not the trigger for the massive moving of posts to P&R. I was personally offended when one of my posts - totally factual, no opinions of any kind stated and in direct response to an excellent question, was moved to P&R.
    the issue is that many people need a very small opening to start posting political nonsense. And then others feel compelled to respond. But from a personal perspective, if I have to go in and enforce the no politics rule, I may make mistakes. Contemplate the issue of removing 28 posts from a thread in a way that the resulting two threads make sense. If a post is mostly in response to a political post, I would move that too. Always willing to listen to complaints by PM, as are all the mods.

My Bikes
    Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But here's the thing: What does the word "politics" encompass? To me it includes any aspect of the social, legal, economic, or physical structures that create a society. I very much want those politics discussed in this context; I believe it to be vitally important if we are to have a future that includes bikes as an accepted form of transportation, a future that includes a good quality of life older people, a future that we don't have to fear.

And personally, I really hate it when you move threads to P&R because someone discussed a political issue in them. If people are saying things that irritate me, I can skim over those posts. It's far more annoying to have a whole thread with interesting discussion in it suddenly just vanish, killing any further dialog.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll tell you that when the posts get political it hijacks the thread and changes the direction, most of the time. Sometimes, what's being posted makes the thread unrecognizable from it's original intent or inquiry. One means of keeping threads from going P&R is to just keep the political rhetoric out of one's responses.

Being a moderator/administrator for a forum is a thankless job most of the time. I used to moderate and administrate a forum for a major computer component manufacturer and also a gaming community forum. The admin/mod job is a lot of work and I respect and appreciate the job they do.
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 10-17-12 at 03:39 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmccain View Post
    If one wants to debate politics, why do it here? Why not go to one of the many political forums?
    I totally understand this perspective. On the other hand, we are not one-dimensional and as with my other friends there are times when a conversation about one thing morphs into another. It's pretty normal. And IMO part of the dynamic of friendship. When differing views are presented respectfully it can serve to enlighten some of us. I'm always open to new ideas and additional information about a subject.
    Last edited by bruce19; 10-17-12 at 04:09 AM.

Oh! That British Bloke .. ThatBritBloke's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummm ... I hadn't noticed anything "political" on this forum 'til this thread.

Then again banning anything "political" is, in itself, a political act. Campaigning for a bike lane requires a political act.

It will always depend on someone's interpretation. In this case @unterhausen's.

Sorry to respond to a redundant thread.
    Alan

Oh! That British Bloke ... in central New Jersey
    http://h-i-l-l.net/BikeBlog/BikesT.png
    ohthatbritishbloke.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to escape from all that nonsense... read a book!
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the interest of balance:

romney.jpg
    On a mission ...

pres.jpg
    On a bike ...

;-)
    Alan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I response the thread title my answer is, no, you're not the only one who hates it. There, as the saying goes, is a time and a place for everything. This is the stated purpose of the 50+ Fourm: "Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling." I think one would be stretching it to say "politics" is a special concern, however, at times that might be the case. When I was a child, I remember my Uncle Frank at a dinner party saying, "I think it's time we take this conversation into the other room." After which, four people who were discussing some topic or another, excused themselves and went to another room to continue their discussion. I asked my grandmother, sitting next to me, why he had done that. She replied (I'm paraphrasing here), "A gentlemen always trys to make those around him comfortable. They were talking about politics in a way that was going to ruffle some feathers. So, he did what a gentleman would do. He steered those who wanted to talk about politics to a place where they would not offend his other guests." I for one appreciate the attempts at being a gentleman. I always have the option to venture into the other room.

With that said, I do believe the wishes of the OP should carry some weight in these matters. If the thread is political, one would hope it was being started in the "room" designated for those conversations. If it was not started as a political thread and becomes one, I think it should be moved. As always, the devil is in the details. Who decides and what is the criteria? Moderators have this job. The extent to which they do this well is a key factor in my decision to visit again.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatBritBloke View Post
    In the interest of balance:

romney.jpg
    On a mission ...

pres.jpg
    On a bike ...

;-)
    Notice that Romney's bike is leaning to the left. Pic must have been taken in Massachusetts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, it looks like Germany ... Dunno what he was doing there ... no, really ...
    Alan

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the issue is that many people need a very small opening to start posting political nonsense. And then others feel compelled to respond. But from a personal perspective, if I have to go in and enforce the no politics rule, I may make mistakes. Contemplate the issue of removing 28 posts from a thread in a way that the resulting two threads make sense. If a post is mostly in response to a political post, I would move that too. Always willing to listen to complaints by PM, as are all the mods.
    I agree...

"Political" in this sense is not necessarily only about Romney and Obama...

You can tell when it is getting 'political' when the emotions, the slurs, the barbs and the distortions start flying... When folks stop talking about bicycles and/or facts and start attacking ... And especially when people start reacting and defending... By that point the line has been crossed...

It is then that the forum starts to feel "uncomfortable". And as NOS88 pointed out: his grandma told him gentleman take those discussion to another room because they don't want to make others feel uncomfortable.

I value this forum -- and I thank the moderators for their hard work trying to keep it comfortable....
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    And as NOS88 pointed out: his grandma told him gentleman take those discussion to another room because they don't want to make others feel uncomfortable.
    Leaving the ladies in the binder?
    Alan

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I greatly appreciate the difficulty of your job and that you are a moderator. I, too, do not appreciate "politics" in threads. Is there another option? Perhaps a warning that the thread is going or has gone "political," and further "political" postings will be removed? That saves you the difficulty of sorting responses, and, hopefully, gets the politics out.

I would rather see the thread closed then moved to P&R, a forum that I don't appreciate much.

However, please keep in mind that the 50+ forum historically has had a wide divergence of topics, primiarily because the participants mostly want the views of those a little "older" on various topics, and do not necessarily want to post a question in the Mtn Bike or similar forums because of the typical and historical differing nature of some forums.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-17-12 at 06:10 AM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast