Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-17-12, 09:21 AM   #1
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
"Epic" Ride Attempt this Saturday

Well, epic for me. My wife is out of town so our two entries to Foxy's Fall Century (/100K) are going unused. I've concluded that the 5 hr R/T just isn't worth it since I would be rushing to get back at a reasonable time to feed horses. There is a nice club ride, 54 miles/5000' of climbing or so, but the average pace seems to imply a bit of waiting around. So I've mapped out what I think will be the toughest 100K I've ever done, not having done many long rides on a single. Wish me luck!
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1818602/elevation_profile

These roads at least have some traffic so if you go down someone might come along to collect the remains. This ride is on the east side of our valley; there is fabulous riding in the west side hills, but I don't have enough familiarity to map out a solo effort. In 3 weeks or so my son will be sufficiently recovered from his post-crash surgery to start riding and will do some exploring in that area at what I'm hoping will be a reasonable pace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ele_profile.jpg (20.1 KB, 19 views)
rdtompki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-12, 09:30 AM   #2
AzTallRider 
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Best of luck... kinda nice that the big climbing is on the front end. Looks a great combination of efforts. Have fun!
Old 10-17-12, 09:48 AM   #3
NOS88

Bikes:
Yes, good luck. That's more climbing than I like doing these days, but it sounds as if its something you really enjoy. So, have fun too.
Old 10-17-12, 10:01 AM   #4
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Looks like 2,000ft in about 6 miles near the start so hopefully the grade isn't too step in too short a distance. And hope the weather will be fine.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-12, 10:19 AM   #5
Esteban58
West Coast Weenie

Bikes: 2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
Forecast for the area is mid 70's... weather won't be an issue here in sunny California (but sometimes I do wish we had 4 real seasons).

Any ride that front loads the climbing seems like a well planned ride to me. Good luck!
Esteban58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-12, 10:20 AM   #6
volosong 

Bikes:
Nice route. Good the the big hill is front loaded. Enjoy your ride. We expect a post-ride report ... and a few pictures.

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
- Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black
volosong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-12, 10:50 AM   #7
PatW

Bikes:
Epic is all in who is doing it. That sounds like a good ride. Funny thing about horses. They like to eat each and every day.
PatW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-12, 11:28 AM   #8
rdtompki

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatW View Post
Epic is all in who is doing it.....
Yep. Epic for my current conditioning and age, but my bucket list includes a DC: don't know if I'll make it. In contrast my son's climbing gear is 39-28 and this ride would be a walk in the park.
Old 10-17-12, 01:37 PM   #9
big john

Bikes:
I'm doing this on Saturday.

big john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-12, 01:48 PM   #10
B. Carfree

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban58 View Post
Forecast for the area is mid 70's... weather won't be an issue here in sunny California (but sometimes I do wish we had 4 real seasons).

Any ride that front loads the climbing seems like a well planned ride to me. Good luck!
It's a big, diverse state. You can find almost any season you want somewhere in the state on any given day. What other state has a ski resort regularly open for downhill skiing on July 4 (Mammoth), a warm ocean for surfing on New Year's Day (SoCal), a desert (Mojave) and a rainforest (Humboldt, Del Norte)?
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-12, 02:24 PM   #11
rdtompki

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
It's a big, diverse state. You can find almost any season you want somewhere in the state on any given day. What other state has a ski resort regularly open for downhill skiing on July 4 (Mammoth), a warm ocean for surfing on New Year's Day (SoCal), a desert (Mojave) and a rainforest (Humboldt, Del Norte)?
In fact, we're having our fifth season right now - Indian summer. I think it's going to hit mid-80's. Enough I say. BTW, appreciate the pre-strokes for my ride I know it's a shameless thing to do, but whatever. In fact we've done the big hill on our tandem - doing that on my single will be a piece of cake. My biggest challenge will be comfort as I'm in a frantic search for a new saddle for both single and tandem.
Old 10-17-12, 02:35 PM   #12
Esteban58
West Coast Weenie

Bikes: 2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
Agreed, but note that you have to drive 100's of miles to experience it all... being greedy I suppose, but I wish it would snow here (south bay) once in a while... I do like that the rain forest zone is just a short bike ride away.
Esteban58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 04:09 PM   #13
rdtompki

Done. Beautiful weather, no cramps, but my legs are dead. The second climb is 1.4 miles, average grade 10.9% and no respite. I actually saw the Garmin show 9.5% one time, but basically the entire climb is between 10 and 15%. The first climb is bigger, but there is some respite. I'm climbing in a 34-32 and could have used a bit lower to keep my cadence up. I'll add a few pics tonight.
http://app.strava.com/activities/25596537

Silicon Valley is down there someplace

Henry Coe State Park looking into the back country. Very rugged terrain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hidden Valley and Old Radar.jpg (10.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Henry Coe Park Back Country.jpg (41.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by rdtompki; 10-22-12 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-21-12, 10:08 PM   #14
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works e-5, Davinci joint venture, Specialized Vienna Commuter
Looks like you did well!
Rod
gracehowler is offline   Reply With Quote