Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Yesterday's Physical (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/853046-yesterdays-physical.html)

Tandem Tom 10-17-12 06:21 PM

Yesterday's Physical

Went to the doc yesterday for my physical. I have lost 35lbs. in the last 18 months. The doc noticed! I ask what my target weight should be and I will go for losing another 5#. The blood work came back and was great! The nurse and the doc both said what a way to start off a day a patient with no problems!!!
My wife and I both thank the Lord for this and for the cycling!

DnvrFox 10-17-12 06:28 PM

:thumb:

Rootman 10-17-12 06:40 PM

Good work dude. It's amazing what health benefits losing weight and getting in shape can provide. I've done the same thing in the past 2 years and had the same results.

rdtompki 10-17-12 07:35 PM

+1 on the good work!

on the path 10-18-12 04:51 PM

Way to go!!

bruce19 10-18-12 04:53 PM

Excellent. Really nice to hear about someone making great strides in health and life.

AzTallRider 10-18-12 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom (Post 14852642)
My wife and I both thank the Lord for this and for the cycling!

Dang, and I was about to congratulate you on your accomplishment! Heck, I will anyway: way to go.

Bikey Mikey 10-18-12 05:21 PM

:thumb:

GeorgeBMac 10-18-12 09:25 PM

Congrats! That kind of news just wants to make you get out and do a little more cycling!

I had a similar experience at the doctor's a few weeks back and I STILL feel good about it (and that after only a summer of cycling not 18 months)

But I got an even better feed back last night: I was with my little 6 year old buddy on a football field when his mom left to get a bat & ball out of the car. He suggested we have a foot race from one end of the field to the other (over a hundred yards) -- and I not only made it, but was not even breathing hard at the end! So, then he wanted to race all the back to where we started -- and I handled that OK too!

I could not have done that 6 months ago. No way, No how!
...(But I was still happy to see mom with the ball and bat so we could stop the racing!)

Cycling has made a difference for me: I'm not only physically in better shape -- but mentally, I feel sharper and clearer...

Keep up the good work!

skilsaw 10-19-12 12:02 AM

Lost 35 lbs? Your whole body makeup has changed.
You need a new bike. n+1
Don't delay, your health and well-being are at stake.

Tandem Tom 10-19-12 06:46 AM

Actually I am in the process of building up a '92 Serotta Colorado ll with full Campy! It is at the LBS and they are helping me. We built the wheels last week and the only thing we are waiting on is the stem then I can complete it. I want to use a Brooks saddle but the am waiting on the color to become available from WalBike,

GeorgeBMac 10-19-12 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by skilsaw (Post 14857451)
You need a new bike. n+1

Yeh, and that adds one MORE thing to the long list of things that make riding NOT a cheap hobby: Now you need a new wardrobe so your pants don't fall down everytime you sneeze!
... It's a tough life... :)

Rootman 10-19-12 07:55 AM

You need a new bike. n+1

+1 on this idea :thumb:

DnvrFox 10-19-12 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac (Post 14857946)
Yeh, and that adds one MORE thing to the long list of things that make riding NOT a cheap hobby: Now you need a new wardrobe so your pants don't fall down everytime you sneeze!
... It's a tough life... :)

Simply gain the weight back and solve at least two problems!! :)

Banded Krait 10-19-12 09:54 AM

Now you need a new wardrobe so your pants don't fall down everytime you sneeze!
Ain't it the truth! Without even trying (I was not overweight to begin with), I lost 12 pounds over the last 18 months after taking up cycling. I am now within four pounds of what I weighed in high school! The only downside is that I had to buy all new pants and belts because the old ones didn't fit anymore.

Doohickie 10-19-12 10:58 AM

I had a similar experience. I dropped over 20 lb. since I'd seen the doctor last (a month and a half before my physical). All my blood work went from borderline bad to really really good. And yes, I'm picking up some new pants and a new belt this weekend.

Ron.Zito 10-19-12 11:11 AM

Congrats on your improved fitness!
When I visited my cardiologist last spring he noticed that I went from 161 to 169 over a year and kinda chewed me out :p

Bikey Mikey 10-20-12 06:49 AM

Nice news.

GeorgeBMac 10-20-12 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 14857979)
Simply gain the weight back and solve at least two problems!! :)

Alright -- I know I'm gonna feel stupid: but what are the TWO problems solved by putting the weight back on???
... Or is that one of those things that: "If have to ask the question, you won't understand the answer?"

Crankykentucky 10-20-12 07:09 AM

You need a new bike. n+1

skilsaw has a great point. Let us know what you buy! LOL
Are you and your wife using a tandem or conventional bikes?

John_V 10-20-12 07:39 AM

:thumb: Awesome job on the weight loss and the physical results. This sounds like a broken record, since it's been said before, but the same thing happened to me. However, I just got back from three weeks up north without a bike and gained 5 pounds from being idle. Now I have to do some serious riding to get rid of it. Wait! That's a good reason to stay out and on the bike longer.

El Segundo 10-20-12 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Doohickie (Post 14858605)
I had a similar experience. I dropped over 20 lb. since I'd seen the doctor last (a month and a half before my physical). All my blood work went from borderline bad to really really good. And yes, I'm picking up some new pants and a new belt this weekend.

How 'bout new headgear?:)

Congrats to everyone for taking inititive to improve health and quality of life.

qcpmsame 10-20-12 05:23 PM

Well done Tom, sounds like you are on your way to much better health.

Bill

John E 10-20-12 07:59 PM

We are all preaching to the choir around here. How do we get the word out that so much disease in America is self-inflicted, and it is killing our economy in health care costs and lost productivity? I am devoid of natural athletic talent -- a total klutz from birth -- but bicycling has given me a very robust cardiovascular system and has helped me manage my body fat percentage.