Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some days the bike just needs to stay in the garage.

I know!

That sounds sacrilegious!

Bear with me on this one. The wife and I needed an opportunity to get outdoors for a bit and as the result of my many area bike outings, I knew just where to take her for a pleasant and peacefull little walk.

Knowing how much she enjoys autumns brilliant colors and watching wildlife in its natural habitat, I took her over to the Genesee River Trail and we strolled down to the Turning Basin. (This is a trail that I include in all of my recreational rides.) We weren't alone. Can you believe that people pay $55 to ride these Segways on a three mile out and back along the trail? That's almost $10 per mile for a short little six mile ride.

I have often noticed a very broad hiking trail in Durand Eastman park during my many rides through that area but I was always afraid to leave my bike unattended while I hiked the trail, so I figured today would be a great opportunity to explore that trail. We got back in the truck and headed over to Durand, a mere three miles away.

It was well worth the effort as these pictures may show....

This next picture is preambled by this silly little story. Now you can see what my recent stresses have done to my already partially warped brain....

Just imagine, over one hundred years ago a tiny seed strategically landed here and commenced to grow. The tiny little seedling somehow survived the foraging deer, the annual onslaught of winterís snow and ice, and the ferocity of summerís lightning storms to grow into a majestic mature tree. This mighty tree served its community well. It provided food and shelter for all the area wildlife, helped conserve the soil with its massive root system, and fertilized that same soil with an annual leaf drop.

Then one day the massive tree commenced to die. It was a painfully slow process taking decades to complete. First one branch became diseased and slowly lost its struggle to survive, than another, and another, until one year there were no new buds of life on that extensive system of branches.

Even in death this wonderful tree continued to give. It provided perches for small critters to hunt from, or escape their own hunters. Piece by piece though, as the last of the behemothís lifeís moisture escaped leaving its once resilient limbs all brittle and weak, the majestic tree finally started dropping bits of itself to the very soil that gave it life. Every couple of years the tree dropped another limb back to the soil to decay, returning the magic that gave the little seed its life. Now, the only recognizable remains of this truly remarkable story is this weathered and rotted piece of that once glorious tree.

Why did all of this take place, you might ask. Well Iím here to tell you. This all had but one purpose and that purpose was so that this old coot could take this pretty picture. Thatís my story and Iím sticking to it.

Though I knew of these areas as a result of cycling I opted to post these fall photos in a separate thread since they technically are not cycling photos.
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 10-19-12 at 06:25 PM.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice day for you and the missus, Lenny, glad y'all had the time for the walk and to take these beautiful pics for us to enjoy.

Bill

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Nice day for you and the missus, Lenny, glad y'all had the time for the walk and to take these beautiful pics for us to enjoy.

Bill
    +1
    ... Nothing more beautiful than NY and PA in the fall... They don't have the grandiosity of other places -- but have a quiet beauty to them that makes you want to stay...

Thanks for sharing
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... but was there pie?

Colors have been hit or miss here, though a drive up the river road to see the bluffs along the Mississippi was good, even if the day was clouded over.

Nothing beats sunlight, filtered through the yellow and gold leaves of the canopy overhead.
    Last edited by David Bierbaum; 10-19-12 at 08:29 PM.

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one thing I miss about living back East is the change in color that accompanies Fall. Gorgeous pictures Lenny!
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I've said before, Cranky, you have a way with words. I read your story about the tree as found poetry.

Your photography skills are as good as anything I've seen on the net.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the advantages of riding a bike round the roads is that you can see the local Flora and fauna while you are out. But do you? Certain places and the bikes are not allowed and even though you may have the time to see the countryside while on your rides-We do not always do it.

Leaving the bike at home and using the feet to See the local area brings a new perspective to the scenery.

Thanks for sharing.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love these warm autumn days for leisurely walks. Thanks for sharing and reminding me of this.

ps: gee, i'd never seen segways with all terrain tires before.

My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Working in Puerto Rico, I really miss it. What I don't miss is what comes after.
    Last edited by Frankfast; 10-20-12 at 02:00 PM. Reason: add

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankfast View Post
    Working in Puerto Rico, I really miss it. What I don't miss is what comes after.
    That wasn't necessary. Not necessary at all! Not even a little bit!
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '85 Trek 470, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful pics of a really scenic area. Made a couple of trips to Corfu NY to visit our son-in-laws parents. They took us to Rochester area and finger lakes region for sightseeing and scenery was breathtaking.
    1988 TREK 400T, 1985 TREK 470, 1988 DiamondBack Ascent EX