Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 10-21-12, 08:46 AM   #1
plodderslusk

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Another gravelgrinder.

Bought this 93 Kona Kilauea at a fleamarket yesterday. Good condition and it seems someone had made it roadready and then given it away. All I had to do was raise the seat and lower the stem and then I had a really nice 50 mile ride today. Maybe it is because I started riding Mtb's around 91 that I still like the geometry of these old steel bikes. Thumbshifters and a 7 speed cassette is all I need of gears and shifters. Weird short cage XT RD, but it worked very well.

plodderslusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 09:32 AM   #2
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! That's a pretty bike and a nice find. And, it sounds like it fits you as well...

Best of luck with your new ride... It looks like it can take you many places...
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 09:42 AM   #3
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: 3 rideable (Genesis, Dawes & Merlin, 2 in pieces (Orange & Dawes)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Nice bike. I've just built up my first Kona (a 94 Cinder Cone) from an old frame and fork. I was going to sell it, but after a few trial rides I like it so much I've decided to keep it. My other mtbs are hard tails but these bikes with the P2 fork are great kept as rigids.
Gerryattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 11:27 AM   #4
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That Kona Kilauea is/was the cheaper version of the Kona Explosif I bought in 92. Same frame geometry although it was a better tubing on the Explosif and 8 spd XT throughout. Those Thumbshifters are fantastic on a frosty morning up on the hills. No fingers necessary- as the thick gloved hand worked just aswell.

From memory the Kilauea had Suntour thumbshifters on it and was LX throughout. Both rode beautiully but I managed to get a discount on the 92 Explosif as opposed to the 93 Kilauea that I had been thinking of. Wish I still had the Project II forks though- they were superb and regret bending them on a Tree that suddenly jumped out in front of me.
Still have that Explosif but the forks are now very early Manitou's from the era with about 1" suspension that just about takes the sting out of the trails.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 11:34 AM   #5
plodderslusk

Bikes:
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
They got Suntour thumbies in 94, 93 had Xt's. Lx hubs. I would have loved to get an Explosif (especially the one with Columbus Max-tubing), but they do not show up in fleamarkets too often.
plodderslusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 06:58 PM   #6
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: De Rosa Super Prestige, Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
I have a long cage version of the XT derailleur in your picture, it shifts perfectly.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote