Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another gravelgrinder.

Bought this 93 Kona Kilauea at a fleamarket yesterday. Good condition and it seems someone had made it roadready and then given it away. All I had to do was raise the seat and lower the stem and then I had a really nice 50 mile ride today. Maybe it is because I started riding Mtb's around 91 that I still like the geometry of these old steel bikes. Thumbshifters and a 7 speed cassette is all I need of gears and shifters. Weird short cage XT RD, but it worked very well.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That's a pretty bike and a nice find. And, it sounds like it fits you as well...

Best of luck with your new ride... It looks like it can take you many places...
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike. I've just built up my first Kona (a 94 Cinder Cone) from an old frame and fork. I was going to sell it, but after a few trial rides I like it so much I've decided to keep it. My other mtbs are hard tails but these bikes with the P2 fork are great kept as rigids.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Kona Kilauea is/was the cheaper version of the Kona Explosif I bought in 92. Same frame geometry although it was a better tubing on the Explosif and 8 spd XT throughout. Those Thumbshifters are fantastic on a frosty morning up on the hills. No fingers necessary- as the thick gloved hand worked just aswell.

From memory the Kilauea had Suntour thumbshifters on it and was LX throughout. Both rode beautiully but I managed to get a discount on the 92 Explosif as opposed to the 93 Kilauea that I had been thinking of. Wish I still had the Project II forks though- they were superb and regret bending them on a Tree that suddenly jumped out in front of me.
    Still have that Explosif but the forks are now very early Manitou's from the era with about 1" suspension that just about takes the sting out of the trails.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They got Suntour thumbies in 94, 93 had Xt's. Lx hubs. I would have loved to get an Explosif (especially the one with Columbus Max-tubing), but they do not show up in fleamarkets too often.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a long cage version of the XT derailleur in your picture, it shifts perfectly.

2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike