Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: I must be a mug

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must be a mug

I have a shed full of bikes and a few of those are waiting for homes to go to--So why have I finished up with another heap in the back of the van?

No pics but a mate of my son-in-law has just bought a new bike and he had to dispose of his old one. Turned up to visit my sil at work for lunch and this bike just happened to appear. Looks clean so I said put in in the van. No saddle-spare set of wheels with slicks on and I just thought it may do for someone

Just checked it out and it is rubbish. Raleigh Nirvana frame with ultra cheap components and weighs a ton. In my mind not worth bothering about. 26" cheapo wheels 15 speed and looks like a problem with the crank. Looks Like I have saved the previous owner a trip to the tip with it as I will leave it in the van and drop it there when I am passing-------

Unless any of you want a project.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stapfam,
    Can you salvage any parts from it? I'd strip it of anything that might go to the parts bin (e.g., pedals, shifters, handgrips, seatpost, quick release skewers or springs, brake mounting bolts). Might be helpful for the next rescue... Phil

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you could turn it into some kind of garden sculpture?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Trek 800, Free Spirit Town and Country, 80's Norco Nomad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say make it ride-able and sell it quick...as long as you aren't a perfectionist and replace anything with new anything. Takes an hour to flip a bike, if you have the time.

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't scrap it. Donate it to a local community bike renovation scheme. They'll renovate it or use the parts.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got any enemies? Give them a nice "present."
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best bit in this bike is the paintwork on the frame. Don't think it will be usable after I have chipped it off.

I already have two MTB Type bikes in the shed that are too good to scrap and if I store this one till someone wants it- Where will I put the next N+1 when it turns up?

Only part I might salvage are the slick tyres. Don't have any of those in 26" in my stock of spares.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Only part I might salvage are the slick tyres. Don't have any of those in 26" in my stock of spares.
    Well, there you go. Your friend gave you a set of tires! You just have to get rid of the packing they came in.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps you can see my problem--I may have a 16x10ft shed but it is full of bikes-There are another 3 to add since this pic was taken-- The Pinnie- An old Dawes Galaxy that needs restoration and The Mongoose Nexus runaround bike. Then there is the Yo-Yo bike- given it away 3 times but it keeps coming back and that is a good bike.

Cshed.jpg Yo-Yo.jpg

So to put something into this heap and keep it till someone wants it would not be worth the effort. People want bikes- but they want MTB's with suspension and Shiny bits on them.

DSC00112.jpgDSC00113.jpg

Low grade bike- low grade components and Wheels with alloy spokes- just to show how old they are.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps you can see my problem--I may have a 16x10ft shed but it is full of bikes-There are another 3 to add since this pic was taken-- The Pinnie- An old Dawes Galaxy that needs restoration and The Mongoose Nexus runaround bike. Then there is the Yo-Yo bike- given it away 3 times but it keeps coming back and that is a good bike.

Cshed.jpg Yo-Yo.jpg

So to put something into this heap and keep it till someone wants it would not be worth the effort. People want bikes- but they want MTB's with suspension and Shiny bits on them.

DSC00112.jpgDSC00113.jpg

Low grade bike- low grade components and Wheels with alloy spokes- just to show how old they are.
    I believe you may have a documented case of N+1itis.
    there is no signature.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esteban58 View Post
    I believe you may have a documented case of N+1itis.
    Naaah--3 road bikes- one for hills and one for enjoyment but both good bikes so the pinnie was bought to save these bikes from too much wear. The Mongoose nexus is what I should have bought instead of the pinnie and it fell into my hands 2 months after the pinnie. MTB's and My Kona Explosif and the one I ride is the Bianchi Grizzly. Full suspension Giant Trance that I seem to have inherited and is the loaner bike for those I can persuade to try offroading. The Cannondale MT2000 Tandem is the beast- You want offroading then do it in style and with venom. Top rate bike that will take everything the offroad will give it. GT Talera is my wifes bike that she hasn't ridden for 5 years but I dare not get rid of it. And then the two bikes- 1 womens and one mans NTB Type that are there for anyone that needs a bike-- please.

Thats not N+1--it is just enough bikes to say I can cover most situations. The Dawes Galaxy is an 86 I believe and needs a lot of work to even get ridable so will just sit there till I run out of bikes.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just checked it out and it is rubbish. Raleigh Nirvana frame with ultra cheap components and weighs a ton. In my mind not worth bothering about. 26" cheapo wheels 15 speed and looks like a problem with the crank. Looks Like I have saved the previous owner a trip to the tip with it as I will leave it in the van and drop it there when I am passing.
    Sounds to me like a good yacht club bike. Heavy old bikes like that make good boat anchors because you don't have to pull them back up - just cut the rope.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got rid of the bike. Went to one of my old customers and mentioned that I had a bike to give away. Told to put it by the scrap bin and if anyone wants it- they can have it. Parked it by the bin and it was wheeled away by one of the mechanics within 10 minutes. 30 seconds later and another mechanic asked me where I had put the bike--He wanted it aswell so May have got rid of my Yo-Yo bike that I have given away 3 times and keeps coming back aswell.

What I regard as rubbish is going to be someones fitness programme. Better start looking for the C.F. Dure Ace weighing in at 15lbs for him for next years old cast off.

Edit---I also got rid of the Coda Saddle that came on the Tandem. It did not have one so I dug it out and put it on the bike. I'll find out next week if he is the only person I have ever known that can sit on a Coda saddle for more than 5 minutes without throwing it away.
    Last edited by stapfam; 10-26-12 at 02:12 PM.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Maybe you could turn it into some kind of garden sculpture?
    I had one of those for a while, then the Mrs. came home from holiday. N - 1 garden sculpture.
    Last edited by Wildwood; 10-26-12 at 11:31 PM.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem