Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 10-23-12, 08:04 AM   #1
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Other Hobbies and Avocations - Newer Folks to the Forum

We have had a lot of folks leave and new folks arrive in the 50+ forum. Every now and then it is fun and interesting to learn what else the busy folks in this forum do for fun - besides bicycling.

(It is also encouraged for longer-term forum members to chime in also, as I would believe that the newer forum participants would enjoy learning more about you "older" folks).

So, what else are you up to for enjoyment?

Music
Athletics
Wood workng
Writing
Cars
Art
Poetry
Photography
Community volunteer activities/schools and the like
Travel
Political activity - any elected officials around? Any campaign volunteers (you don't need to state the political party)
??????????????????????????????????????
and a whole lot of other activities I know you folks do and enjoy.

Pictures and links, if possible, please.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-23-12 at 08:20 AM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 09:04 AM   #2
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line
I am an avid reader, and do counted-thread embroidery (cross stitch and needlepoint), and paper-crafting (rubber stamped cards).
Condorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 09:23 AM   #3
Esteban58
West Coast Weenie

Bikes: 2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
Sports... Hockey and Soccer mostly (although its not a great time to be an NHL fan, I'm saving a bundle by NOT paying for season tickets ), and we have tickets for game 2 of the world serious.

Reading... Sci Fi, Action/Adventure

Raising Kids... although #last is a senior in High School, so this activity is winding down!

Did a lot of video gaming, but I've broken that habit - its maybe not as bad a smoking, but its certainly not what I consider to be a healthy life style, way too much sitting around.
Esteban58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 09:44 AM   #4
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Will stick to current interests besides cycling and that is gardening. Only have .2 acre and it is the reason I don't have much time for anything else. I have learnt carpentry through the number of Structures I have had to put up so I suppose that could be another interest. Not much garden left now due to the shed- pergola- gazebo- wife's pool and the chickens but just maintaining that lot has kept me busy this summer. Good job I am retired.

This is the top part of the garden and another bit about the same size contains the veggie patch- the chickens and Rough grass that struggles.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 10-23-12 at 09:51 AM.
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 09:46 AM   #5
jon c. 

Bikes:
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Cycling takes up enough time that it's cutting into my other activities, but I still get in two rounds of golf a week. And when I'm not riding on the weekend, I'm usually watching Thoroughbred horse racing.
jon c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 09:55 AM   #6
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Will stick to current interests besides cycling and that is gardening. Only have .2 acre and it is the reason I don't have much time for anything else. I have learnt carpentry through the number of Structures I have had to put up so I suppose that could be another interest. Not much garden left now due to the shed- pergola- gazebo- wife's pool and the chickens but just maintaining that lot has kept me busy this summer. Good job I am retired.
That looks like a lot more than .2 acres to me. You sure about that?
Old 10-23-12, 09:57 AM   #7
con
Older I get, faster I was

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
That looks like a lot more than .2 acres to me. You sure about that?
It must be metric acres.....
con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 10:00 AM   #8
MartyVan

Bikes: 06 Giant TCR3, GT MTB
Try to ride as much as I can, I alternate between road and mtb. When not riding I work on cars my main passion and hobby, mainly VWs.
MartyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 10:03 AM   #9
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Motorcycling: local, weekends in New England and NC/VA/TN and cross country
Writing: Poetry, philosophy, etc.
Reading: Mostly philosophical
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 10:10 AM   #10
stapfam
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
.2 comes from the land registration file and may be wrong as it was bought in 3 lots. The 30x30 that came with the house and then the extended bit that I bought before I moved in so I could have a garden. Would not have moved in unless I had that. At its widest point this part of the garden is only 40ft and the Eastern boundary is the hedge along the R/H side of the garden and the Western is 2ft to the left of the greenhouse. The total length is just beyond the pool at the top but there is also another hit to the right of the pool that was the 3rd bit of land I bought.

Can assure you that it is right at .2 but there is a lot crammed into a small space. Just wish I had more space.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-23-12, 10:14 AM   #11
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
.2 comes from the land registration file and may be wrong as it was bought in 3 lots. The 30x30 that came with the house and then the extended bit that I bought before I moved in so I could have a garden. Would not have moved in unless I had that. At its widest point this part of the garden is only 40ft and the Eastern boundary is the hedge along the R/H side of the garden and the Western is 2ft to the left of the greenhouse. The total length is just beyond the pool at the top but there is also another hit to the right of the pool that was the 3rd bit of land I bought.

Can assure you that it is right at .2 but there is a lot crammed into a small space. Just wish I had more space.
30x30 what (meters, feet, yards???)
Old 10-23-12, 10:16 AM   #12
AzTallRider 
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban58 View Post
Did a lot of video gaming, but I've broken that habit - its maybe not as bad a smoking, but its certainly not what I consider to be a healthy life style, way too much sitting around.
As my spouse is quick to point out, I have an addictive personality, going to extremes in my pursuits. EverQuest (aka "EverCrack") was indisputably the worst for me: physically, mentally, financially - you name it.

But, right now, there isn't much room for anything but cycling and reading, which I do incessantly (the Kindle iPhone app is a wonderful thing). Of course, a lot of that reading is often cycling related, but I also just read 'East of Eden' - have a real soft spot for historical fiction. Currently reading "Breaking the Chain", and then will pick up either Grisham's latest, or "The Signal and the Noise".
Old 10-23-12, 10:18 AM   #13
stapfam
Time for a change.

FT.

In one respect I am like the Americans- I haven't gone metric and doubt I ever will. Bit awkward buying timber and I want 8ft and all I can get is 2.4 mteres. But that mm or so difference won't make much difference to my building capabilities.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-23-12, 10:39 AM   #14
Rootman

Bikes: 2012 Giant Sedona Hybrid
Bike riding
Swimming
TV and Movies
Reading

Not much time for anything else because of the dratted work!
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 10:40 AM   #15
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
FT.

In one respect I am like the Americans- I haven't gone metric and doubt I ever will. Bit awkward buying timber and I want 8ft and all I can get is 2.4 mteres. But that mm or so difference won't make much difference to my building capabilities.
OK - I applaud you for getting so much into your available space!!
Old 10-23-12, 10:42 AM   #16
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW, Giant Omnium
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I'm a tomboy and always have been (three brothers). My other interests ("other" than cycling) reflect that, they're decidedly "male oriented" (so I've been told). I'm a part-time location recording engineer, geek, techie, whatever; I like trains and have a model railroad; I'm quite mechanical and I'm (enjoying) restoring my very first motorcycle, a 1965 Honda CB77 Superhawk. For the girly things, I love clothes, although I don't sew - I just shop! I love wine (and have to avoid it in order to maintain my training and figure), and I love to bake (although I'm not that good at it).
Old 10-23-12, 10:44 AM   #17
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW, Giant Omnium
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

This is the top part of the garden and another bit about the same size contains the veggie patch- the chickens and Rough grass that struggles.
That is just so gorgeous, as well as being totally awesome! I wish I had the talent and patience for such an endeavor!
Old 10-23-12, 10:45 AM   #18
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
As my spouse is quick to point out, I have an addictive personality, going to extremes in my pursuits. EverQuest (aka "EverCrack") was indisputably the worst for me: physically, mentally, financially - you name it.
Generation gap here as I had to google EverQuest. I have never played one of those games.
Old 10-23-12, 10:47 AM   #19
the painter

Bikes: schwinn hybrid gtx-2
HI everyone I race a rear engine dragster in the top dragster class .it runs a 632 cu in chevy that makes 1500 hp and will run over 200 mph in 6.80 sec we are the 2010 & 2011 top dragster champions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_143904212012_1515.jpg (26.1 KB, 20 views)
the painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 10:58 AM   #20
goldfinch 

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Litespeed Ocoee
Stepfam, that garden is absolutely lovely. When I retired we sold our house and my sweet garden was gone. I still am homesick for it.

goldfinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 11:22 AM   #21
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
Besides cycling, there's golf, reading, a bit of television watching, occasional running, woodworking and music (listening/hi-fi & playing guitar, banjo & piano).

Me, in the sunglasses with the M-38:

Me, with the CD storage credenza I built:

A centerpiece/votive candleholder I made for my SIL:
CraigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 11:46 AM   #22
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
Archery, hunting
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 11:49 AM   #23
Mark Stone
Littledog

Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape 2
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I like to play guitar. Other people may not like me playing guitar that much, but I enjoy it.
Mark Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 11:56 AM   #24
Allegheny Jet 

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
Fishing and ice fishing are my other activities that keep me from sitting down.
Old 10-23-12, 12:01 PM   #25
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
  • Bike
  • Computers
  • Guitar (I'm no good despite 35+ years of trying, but I don't let that stop me from annoying my wife and daughter )
  • Amateur astronomy (14.5" TeleKit, 8" Hardin Deep Space Hunter, Short Tube 80, binocs, etc.)
  • Photography, although it's pretty dormant right now (no time nor location): One of my Zenfolio galleries
  • Some reading, which I enjoy but I keep falling asleep.... (Tolkien)
  • At present, Thursday nights on PBS: Midsomer Murders, Larks Rise to Candleford, Foyle's War (be glad if/when Doc Martin makes it back)
  • Time off from work

Last edited by lphilpot; 10-23-12 at 07:05 PM.
lphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote