Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other Hobbies and Avocations - Newer Folks to the Forum

We have had a lot of folks leave and new folks arrive in the 50+ forum. Every now and then it is fun and interesting to learn what else the busy folks in this forum do for fun - besides bicycling.

(It is also encouraged for longer-term forum members to chime in also, as I would believe that the newer forum participants would enjoy learning more about you "older" folks).

So, what else are you up to for enjoyment?

Music
    Athletics
    Wood workng
    Writing
    Cars
    Art
    Poetry
    Photography
    Community volunteer activities/schools and the like
    Travel
    Political activity - any elected officials around? Any campaign volunteers (you don't need to state the political party)
    ??????????????????????????????????????
    and a whole lot of other activities I know you folks do and enjoy.

Pictures and links, if possible, please.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-23-12 at 08:20 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am an avid reader, and do counted-thread embroidery (cross stitch and needlepoint), and paper-crafting (rubber stamped cards).
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

My Bikes
    2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sports... Hockey and Soccer mostly (although its not a great time to be an NHL fan, I'm saving a bundle by NOT paying for season tickets ), and we have tickets for game 2 of the world serious.

Reading... Sci Fi, Action/Adventure

Raising Kids... although #last is a senior in High School, so this activity is winding down!

Did a lot of video gaming, but I've broken that habit - its maybe not as bad a smoking, but its certainly not what I consider to be a healthy life style, way too much sitting around.
    there is no signature.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will stick to current interests besides cycling and that is gardening. Only have .2 acre and it is the reason I don't have much time for anything else. I have learnt carpentry through the number of Structures I have had to put up so I suppose that could be another interest. Not much garden left now due to the shed- pergola- gazebo- wife's pool and the chickens but just maintaining that lot has kept me busy this summer. Good job I am retired.

This is the top part of the garden and another bit about the same size contains the veggie patch- the chickens and Rough grass that struggles.
    Last edited by stapfam; 10-23-12 at 09:51 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling takes up enough time that it's cutting into my other activities, but I still get in two rounds of golf a week. And when I'm not riding on the weekend, I'm usually watching Thoroughbred horse racing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Will stick to current interests besides cycling and that is gardening. Only have .2 acre and it is the reason I don't have much time for anything else. I have learnt carpentry through the number of Structures I have had to put up so I suppose that could be another interest. Not much garden left now due to the shed- pergola- gazebo- wife's pool and the chickens but just maintaining that lot has kept me busy this summer. Good job I am retired.
    That looks like a lot more than .2 acres to me. You sure about that?
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    That looks like a lot more than .2 acres to me. You sure about that?
    It must be metric acres.....

My Bikes
    06 Giant TCR3, GT MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to ride as much as I can, I alternate between road and mtb. When not riding I work on cars my main passion and hobby, mainly VWs.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Motorcycling: local, weekends in New England and NC/VA/TN and cross country
    Writing: Poetry, philosophy, etc.
    Reading: Mostly philosophical

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .2 comes from the land registration file and may be wrong as it was bought in 3 lots. The 30x30 that came with the house and then the extended bit that I bought before I moved in so I could have a garden. Would not have moved in unless I had that. At its widest point this part of the garden is only 40ft and the Eastern boundary is the hedge along the R/H side of the garden and the Western is 2ft to the left of the greenhouse. The total length is just beyond the pool at the top but there is also another hit to the right of the pool that was the 3rd bit of land I bought.

Can assure you that it is right at .2 but there is a lot crammed into a small space. Just wish I had more space.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .2 comes from the land registration file and may be wrong as it was bought in 3 lots. The 30x30 that came with the house and then the extended bit that I bought before I moved in so I could have a garden. Would not have moved in unless I had that. At its widest point this part of the garden is only 40ft and the Eastern boundary is the hedge along the R/H side of the garden and the Western is 2ft to the left of the greenhouse. The total length is just beyond the pool at the top but there is also another hit to the right of the pool that was the 3rd bit of land I bought.

Can assure you that it is right at .2 but there is a lot crammed into a small space. Just wish I had more space.
    30x30 what (meters, feet, yards???)

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esteban58 View Post
    Did a lot of video gaming, but I've broken that habit - its maybe not as bad a smoking, but its certainly not what I consider to be a healthy life style, way too much sitting around.
    As my spouse is quick to point out, I have an addictive personality, going to extremes in my pursuits. EverQuest (aka "EverCrack") was indisputably the worst for me: physically, mentally, financially - you name it.

But, right now, there isn't much room for anything but cycling and reading, which I do incessantly (the Kindle iPhone app is a wonderful thing). Of course, a lot of that reading is often cycling related, but I also just read 'East of Eden' - have a real soft spot for historical fiction. Currently reading "Breaking the Chain", and then will pick up either Grisham's latest, or "The Signal and the Noise".
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FT.

In one respect I am like the Americans- I haven't gone metric and doubt I ever will. Bit awkward buying timber and I want 8ft and all I can get is 2.4 mteres. But that mm or so difference won't make much difference to my building capabilities.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2012 Giant Sedona Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bike riding
    Swimming
    TV and Movies
    Reading

Not much time for anything else because of the dratted work!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FT.

In one respect I am like the Americans- I haven't gone metric and doubt I ever will. Bit awkward buying timber and I want 8ft and all I can get is 2.4 mteres. But that mm or so difference won't make much difference to my building capabilities.
    OK - I applaud you for getting so much into your available space!!

My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Cannondale CAAD 10.3, Felt B16
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a tomboy and always have been (three brothers). My other interests ("other" than cycling) reflect that, they're decidedly "male oriented" (so I've been told). I'm a part-time location recording engineer, geek, techie, whatever; I like trains and have a model railroad; I'm quite mechanical and I'm (enjoying) restoring my very first motorcycle, a 1965 Honda CB77 Superhawk. For the girly things, I love clothes, although I don't sew - I just shop! I love wine (and have to avoid it in order to maintain my training and figure), and I love to bake (although I'm not that good at it).
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Cannondale CAAD 10.3, Felt B16
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the top part of the garden and another bit about the same size contains the veggie patch- the chickens and Rough grass that struggles.
    That is just so gorgeous, as well as being totally awesome! I wish I had the talent and patience for such an endeavor!
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
    As my spouse is quick to point out, I have an addictive personality, going to extremes in my pursuits. EverQuest (aka "EverCrack") was indisputably the worst for me: physically, mentally, financially - you name it.
    Generation gap here as I had to google EverQuest. I have never played one of those games.

My Bikes
    schwinn hybrid gtx-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI everyone I race a rear engine dragster in the top dragster class .it runs a 632 cu in chevy that makes 1500 hp and will run over 200 mph in 6.80 sec we are the 2010 & 2011 top dragster champions IMG_143904212012_1515.jpg

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stepfam, that garden is absolutely lovely. When I retired we sold our house and my sweet garden was gone. I still am homesick for it.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides cycling, there's golf, reading, a bit of television watching, occasional running, woodworking and music (listening/hi-fi & playing guitar, banjo & piano).

Me, in the sunglasses with the M-38:

Me, with the CD storage credenza I built:

A centerpiece/votive candleholder I made for my SIL:
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Archery, hunting

My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to play guitar. Other people may not like me playing guitar that much, but I enjoy it.
    Tractorlegs no longer participates in Facebook, the Acoustic Guitar Forum, or bikeforums dot net. He can be reached at email mark@markstone.org, or at his website http://markstone.org. There's just too many miles to ride to be sitting at a computer . . .

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fishing and ice fishing are my other activities that keep me from sitting down.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    • Bike
    • Computers
    • Guitar (I'm no good despite 35+ years of trying, but I don't let that stop me from annoying my wife and daughter )
    • Amateur astronomy (14.5" TeleKit, 8" Hardin Deep Space Hunter, Short Tube 80, binocs, etc.)
    • Photography, although it's pretty dormant right now (no time nor location): One of my Zenfolio galleries
    • Some reading, which I enjoy but I keep falling asleep.... (Tolkien)
    • At present, Thursday nights on PBS: Midsomer Murders, Larks Rise to Candleford, Foyle's War (be glad if/when Doc Martin makes it back)
    • Time off from work
    Last edited by lphilpot; 10-23-12 at 07:05 PM.
    Len Philpot - 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
    I start out slow and then taper off from there...

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast