Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-12, 11:45 AM   #1
Mark Stone
Littledog
Thread Starter
 
Mark Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southwest Desert
Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape 2
Posts: 2,896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Tombay Membership Requirements

Climbing a steep suburban hill, head down, spinning away, full of pride, "being" a bicyclist, and hitting a parked car, tumbling over in front of a group of laughing schoolchildren?
Mark Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 12:00 PM   #2
RedC 
Senior Member
 
RedC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sebring, Florida
Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorlegs View Post
Climbing a steep suburban hill, head down, spinning away, full of pride, "being" a bicyclist, and hitting a parked car, tumbling over in front of a group of laughing schoolchildren?
It's hard to be really impressed with yourself when you're on the pavement looking up.
__________________
Red, like the color my hair used to be.

Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix
RedC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 12:30 PM   #3
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tombay requires that the pedals and not being able to get off them and put a foot down is the main requirement for entry to Club Tombay.

Idiocy does come into the situation but I doubt that this accounting would qualify.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 12:54 PM   #4
Mobile 155
Senior Member
 
Mobile 155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: So Cal
Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Posts: 3,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorlegs View Post
Climbing a steep suburban hill, head down, spinning away, full of pride, "being" a bicyclist, and hitting a parked car, tumbling over in front of a group of laughing schoolchildren?
Most of your story sounds close. But you left off some important qualifications. I have not applied since the new Tombay forms were issued but my story is closer to what they ask for.

I was on a group ride with several friends. We had just left a coffee break and were riding down a bike path in a park. I turned to take a picture of the group. I did not turn around soon enough to notice I had drifted close to the edge of the path and spent a few moments trying to stay on the path but at one point realized I couldn't save it. So I decided to head into the dirt and grass and try to stay upright. I was paying so much attention to holding my line and coming to a stop that I forgot to unclip. With camera still in hand when I did come to a stop I realized I was still clipped in. Too late to do anything I fell over and tried to hold the camera up and let the bike fall on me rather than in the soft dirt and pepper tree leaves. One of the members walked up and took the camera from me and took this picture. The required nurse that was riding with us was lauffing so hard she had tears in her eyes. The only wound was under me but it was increased with the addition of so many peppercorns under me as well. Follow the tire tracks and you can see my heroic effort at saving the bike. After all skin heals paint doesn't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0059.jpg (100.2 KB, 62 views)
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 01:34 PM   #5
Esteban58
West Coast Weenie
 
Esteban58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sunnyvale, CA.
Bikes: 2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
Most of your story sounds close. But you left off some important qualifications. I have not applied since the new Tombay forms were issued but my story is closer to what they ask for.

I was on a group ride with several friends. We had just left a coffee break and were riding down a bike path in a park. I turned to take a picture of the group. I did not turn around soon enough to notice I had drifted close to the edge of the path and spent a few moments trying to stay on the path but at one point realized I couldn't save it. So I decided to head into the dirt and grass and try to stay upright. I was paying so much attention to holding my line and coming to a stop that I forgot to unclip. With camera still in hand when I did come to a stop I realized I was still clipped in. Too late to do anything I fell over and tried to hold the camera up and let the bike fall on me rather than in the soft dirt and pepper tree leaves. One of the members walked up and took the camera from me and took this picture. The required nurse that was riding with us was lauffing so hard she had tears in her eyes. The only wound was under me but it was increased with the addition of so many peppercorns under me as well. Follow the tire tracks and you can see my heroic effort at saving the bike. After all skin heals paint doesn't.
Is that the classic 'full tombay' position?
Esteban58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 02:26 PM   #6
Mobile 155
Senior Member
 
Mobile 155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: So Cal
Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Posts: 3,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban58 View Post
Is that the classic 'full tombay' position?
well I will have to defer to Stapfam but as I understand it that is the aftermath of a full Tombay and the prime pose you must hold as everyone that observed your Tombay walks around and points at you. Only when the Nurse utters the words, "are you OK?", in a somewhat normal voice are you allowed to demand the pictures stop and get a chance to have the bike removed and get up. But I remind you I have not applied for membership.
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 05:22 PM   #7
billydonn
Council of the Elders
 
billydonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Omaha, NE
Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Posts: 3,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Embarassing and humiliating.... but no Tombay for that.
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 06:38 PM   #8
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
I was on a group ride with several friends. We had just left a coffee break and were riding down a bike path in a park. I turned to take a picture of the group. I did not turn around soon enough to notice I had drifted close to the edge of the path and spent a few moments trying to stay on the path but at one point realized I couldn't save it. So I decided to head into the dirt and grass and try to stay upright. I was paying so much attention to holding my line and coming to a stop that I forgot to unclip. With camera still in hand when I did come to a stop I realized I was still clipped in. Too late to do anything I fell over and tried to hold the camera up and let the bike fall on me rather than in the soft dirt and pepper tree leaves. One of the members walked up and took the camera from me and took this picture. The required nurse that was riding with us was lauffing so hard she had tears in her eyes. The only wound was under me but it was increased with the addition of so many peppercorns under me as well. Follow the tire tracks and you can see my heroic effort at saving the bike. After all skin heals paint doesn't.
Yes, that's a good one. You are to be commended for protecting the bike from striking the ground with your body.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 06:59 PM   #9
RobertL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorlegs View Post
Climbing a steep suburban hill, head down, spinning away, full of pride, "being" a bicyclist, and hitting a parked car, tumbling over in front of a group of laughing schoolchildren?
I think that deserves a Tombay with Oak Leaf clusters for embarrassment.

We've all been there to one degree or another, I hope the rest of your ride was wonderful.
RobertL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 07:06 PM   #10
Mobile 155
Senior Member
 
Mobile 155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: So Cal
Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Posts: 3,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Yes, that's a good one. You are to be commended for protecting the bike from striking the ground with your body.
I didn't get a scratch on the bike, not even on the bar tape or saddle. I learned the lesson well, protect the bike. The camera got a small scratch and my ego took a big hit.

Billydon, as I said I didn't submit for membership. Though a picture was taken, a nurse was present, many of my friends witnessed it, a cut on an undisclosed body part took place and if I would have uncliped I think I could have saved it. However the soft dirt, leaves and peppercorns relieved me of some of the road rash pavement would have provided. So technically I am still not a member of the club this time around.
I wouldn't have confessed except Stapfam saw the picture on my facebook page.
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 07:10 PM   #11
nevermore1701
Senior Member
 
nevermore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: honolulu,hawaii
Bikes: giant
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mobile that is awesome love it glad your ok classic
nevermore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 11:17 AM   #12
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
I didn't get a scratch on the bike, not even on the bar tape or saddle. I learned the lesson well, protect the bike. The camera got a small scratch and my ego took a big hit.

Billydon, as I said I didn't submit for membership. Though a picture was taken, a nurse was present, many of my friends witnessed it, a cut on an undisclosed body part took place and if I would have uncliped I think I could have saved it. However the soft dirt, leaves and peppercorns relieved me of some of the road rash pavement would have provided. So technically I am still not a member of the club this time around.
I wouldn't have confessed except Stapfam saw the picture on my facebook page.

Been waiting for it to appear on this forum and also for you to apply for Membership to Club Tombay.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 02:23 PM   #13
Mobile 155
Senior Member
 
Mobile 155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: So Cal
Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Posts: 3,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Been waiting for it to appear on this forum and also for you to apply for Membership to Club Tombay.
Ok, Stapfam. I am submitting it for Membership. At least all 84 members on my club have seen and shared the pictures, lots of smart phones were there as well. My wounds have healed though there is still a small rough spot on my upper rear leg,( ok, ok, bum to you Brits.)

I now confess and bow my head in shame.
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 08:31 PM   #14
woodcraft
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Bikes:
Posts: 1,733
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
My classic was BITD, when I was in high school.

Urban setting, riding past the (not my) high school with a friend or two, I was wearing cleats and had the toe straps cinched down tight.
I was looking right at the students (girls), and looked ahead just in time to see the cars in front stopped.
Brakes applied, I stopped just as I contacted the bumper of the (Volkswagen I think), and launched into a front wheel wheelie, balancing perfectly, before toppling in a heap on the road, in full view of the onlookers.

Physical damage minimal, psychic road-rash substantial.
woodcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 11:15 PM   #15
Mobile 155
Senior Member
 
Mobile 155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: So Cal
Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Posts: 3,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcraft View Post
My classic was BITD, when I was in high school.

Urban setting, riding past the (not my) high school with a friend or two, I was wearing cleats and had the toe straps cinched down tight.
I was looking right at the students (girls), and looked ahead just in time to see the cars in front stopped.
Brakes applied, I stopped just as I contacted the bumper of the (Volkswagen I think), and launched into a front wheel wheelie, balancing perfectly, before toppling in a heap on the road, in full view of the onlookers.

Physical damage minimal, psychic road-rash substantial.
That is a classic. Toe straps and all. was there any blood?
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-12, 10:39 AM   #16
jim p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will never apply for membership in such a dumb club. Trying to unclip as I was laying on my side was quite an experience. At one point I just started kicking like a fish flopping, because one way or another that bike was going to get off my foot.
jim p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-12, 11:00 AM   #17
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorlegs View Post
Climbing a steep suburban hill, head down, spinning away, full of pride, "being" a bicyclist, and hitting a parked car, tumbling over in front of a group of laughing schoolchildren?
Come on guys! Can't you develop an "Honory Membership" or "Associate Membership" or maybe: "Trainee Membership"?

I realize that it is prestigious organization with many erudite members (Whatever the heck that is!) -- but can't you lower the standard just a little bit?
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-12, 01:45 PM   #18
digibud
Senior Member
 
digibud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Further North than U
Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
Posts: 1,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
can't apply

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
Come on guys! Can't you develop an "Honory Membership" or "Associate Membership" or maybe: "Trainee Membership"?

I realize that it is prestigious organization with many erudite members (Whatever the heck that is!) -- but can't you lower the standard just a little bit?
I can't apply since I have no pic but after I got a bike bug my wife and I bought touring bikes and headed out for our very first ride with our toe clips synched down well. We got to the very first stop light and looked at each other briefly as I said "poop" (or some variation) and we both proceeded to fall over in opposite directions. It was a reasonably wide shoulder so there was no big danger but of all the moments of my life that rates very high among those I wish I had a video of.
digibud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-12, 01:49 PM   #19
Mark Stone
Littledog
Thread Starter
 
Mark Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southwest Desert
Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape 2
Posts: 2,896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
Come on guys! Can't you develop an "Honory Membership" or "Associate Membership" or maybe: "Trainee Membership"?

I realize that it is prestigious organization with many erudite members (Whatever the heck that is!) -- but can't you lower the standard just a little bit?
+1 -- Sometimes I feel so left out, so rejected.
Mark Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-12, 01:52 PM   #20
Esteban58
West Coast Weenie
 
Esteban58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sunnyvale, CA.
Bikes: 2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by digibud View Post
I can't apply since I have no pic but after I got a bike bug my wife and I bought touring bikes and headed out for our very first ride with our toe clips synched down well. We got to the very first stop light and looked at each other briefly as I said "poop" (or some variation) and we both proceeded to fall over in opposite directions. It was a reasonably wide shoulder so there was no big danger but of all the moments of my life that rates very high among those I wish I had a video of.
Epic.
Esteban58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 03:06 PM   #21
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mobile 155 has earned his certificate and membership into Club Tombay. He applied for it in "Not the usual Manner" but his application is now ratified.

__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 03:15 PM   #22
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just to get things clear as to what is a Tombay--It involves an involuntary fall from the bike due to a problem in disengaging from the pedals. This is normally done at slow speed when coming to a halt and whether mechanical failure-Panic situation-Brain fade or mere stupidity- the foot does not disengage from the pedal before the body makes contact with the ground. The pedals involved do not have to be clipless and in fact it has been known for platform pedals to cause the disengagement or brain fade situation- Or could it just be stupidity.

Applications are now done on line and it is on a normal posting that includes Tombay in the header. The fall must have been recent as I cannot go back through the records to award Certificates to all past members and believe me there are many members of this "Elite" club. The application is then decided upon by the 50+ members if there is any doubt to the validity of the application unless it is a definite "Yay" and then certificate is posted within the posting.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 03:20 PM   #23
Mark Stone
Littledog
Thread Starter
 
Mark Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southwest Desert
Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape 2
Posts: 2,896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Just to get things clear as to what is a Tombay--It involves an involuntary fall from the bike due to a problem in disengaging from the pedals. This is normally done at slow speed when coming to a halt and whether mechanical failure-Panic situation-Brain fade or mere stupidity- the foot does not disengage from the pedal before the body makes contact with the ground. The pedals involved do not have to be clipless and in fact it has been known for platform pedals to cause the disengagement or brain fade situation- Or could it just be stupidity.

Applications are now done on line and it is on a normal posting that includes Tombay in the header. The fall must have been recent as I cannot go back through the records to award Certificates to all past members and believe me there are many members of this "Elite" club. The application is then decided upon by the 50+ members if there is any doubt to the validity of the application unless it is a definite "Yay" and then certificate is posted within the posting.
So in the op I was in spds, hit the car on the steep uphill, couldn't get my foot out of the spd and fell over in front of giggling school children. Would have thought that qualified. But I guess I'll live if I'm not in the "club".
Mark Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 06:13 PM   #24
Mobile 155
Senior Member
 
Mobile 155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: So Cal
Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Posts: 3,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorlegs View Post
So in the op I was in spds, hit the car on the steep uphill, couldn't get my foot out of the spd and fell over in front of giggling school children. Would have thought that qualified. But I guess I'll live if I'm not in the "club".
To me it sounds like the typical Tombay. I was told you needed a picture to add to your shame.
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 06:40 PM   #25
Mark Stone
Littledog
Thread Starter
 
Mark Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southwest Desert
Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape 2
Posts: 2,896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
To me it sounds like the typical Tombay. I was told you needed a picture to add to your shame.
No picture. Oh well.
Mark Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 PM.