Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Back on the Bike After Inguinal Hernia Surgery

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-12, 08:26 PM

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well almost three weeks ago I had a routine colonoscopy which turned out great. The following week I had surgery for a inguinal hernia on the left side of my groin. When I was growing up I always got that "look" from the doctor when doing the cough test.

The surgery was just over two weeks ago and my surgeon cleared me to ride my bike yesterday, just said take it easy... Rode the exercise bike last night for ten miles and did an easy 16 mile ride after work today at avg of 16.5.

It sure felt great to be back on the bike. Still sore some in the groin and scrotum but we'll see how it goes. Wanting to get back in shape for some big rides at the end of the month and in November.

My surgeon said my recovery would go fast because I was in shape and was not "fat". Yes he used the word fat! Made me feel good He said most people half my age do not recover as fast.
Old 10-05-12, 05:37 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Glad that the surgery went well for you and that the healing is progressing. Hope the riding gets back to your level soon, Ride Lots.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 10-05-12, 06:55 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 10-05-12, 08:45 AM

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're awesome. I had a triple repaired and could barely tolerate riding in a car in the same time as you resumed cycling.
Old 10-05-12, 10:44 AM
Desert Rat

Bikes: GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had the same surgery and it took me 2 months to get back on the bike and I still have pain in some areas. I had the surgery the end of April this year. I don't know if the recover has anything to do with how good of shape you're in, overweight may matter.

I have heard horror stories of people that started "resuming normal activities" too soon. Be careful and gook luck.
Old 10-05-12, 03:41 PM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Mine was back in 1980. I could barely walk for a week, then it got better very quickly.
Old 10-05-12, 04:17 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Keep on improving and heal fast and well, Ride on!

Old 10-05-12, 07:56 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In 1992, at the age of 41, I got an inguinal hernia repair about 5 weeks before I was scheduled to start my first big tour - from Seattle to San Luis Obispo. I was nervous, but after about 3 weeks I got on the bike and started riding, after 4 weeks I took a fairly strenuous mountain bike ride, and after 5 weeks I started the tour. I had no trouble, and 20 years later I still haven't had any trouble (other than needing my other side done about 8 years ago!)
Old 10-10-12, 06:44 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Went for a CAT scan today to diagnose the extent of my hernia... and surgical options. Not looking forward to this!
Old 10-10-12, 06:59 PM

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Went for a CAT scan today to diagnose the extent of my hernia... and surgical options. Not looking forward to this!
Hope yours goes well. To clarify I had laporscopic surgery and yesterday was three weeks after the surgery. I rode 16 miles last Thursday, 38 on Saturday, 32 on Sunday and 22 last night after work. I was doing about 150 miles a week prior to the surgery so will hopefully be back to that point in a couple of weeks.

i know the recovery will be slower if you have the traditional surgery. I'm still sore down there but it is getting better. My legs feel good though.

Good luck!
Old 10-29-12, 11:36 AM

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I had a right side inguinal hernia repaired in early June. Open surgery (not lap) and no mesh---I opted to go with a procedure called the Desarda technique where your own tissue is used to create the "tension-free patch" as opposed to synthetic mesh being placed in your gut. I made that decision after obsessive and very in-depth research about all the available options. More and more docs are starting to offer this alternative.

I also am in very good shape, not fat--quite the opposite. I just started really getting into cycling AFTER my surgery, but I was ready to ride (and swim and hike) without question a month after (I felt ready sooner, but didn't want to risk it). The first week though really sucked! After that, recovery progressed very quickly. Honestly, my anxiety building up to the surgery was far worse than the physical discomfort post-op!
I'm sure you'll do great. Just watch what you eat for the first few days.

The side with the repair now feels totally tough, "reinforced" and solid--no discomfort of any kind now.

However, I now have what seems to be the beginnings of a hernia on the LEFT side, which I THINK started around the same time as the other, but just now is getting more noticeable (still only slight occasional discomfort, and only the rare instance of the sensation of something VERY small protruding which is reduceable and stays put for days on end, so the doc has advised I wait for now and go about my life--don't hold back--could get worse in 10 days or ten years--no way to know). Interestingly, it's the cycling that makes it feel better, and stronger, as if it's keeping things "tight" down there. Will ultimately need to be fixed too at some point(they don't tend to fix themselves!), but at least I know what I'm in for, and for me at least, thankfully, it wasn't that bad.
And, I feel totally confident about cycling right up to the day before surge
ry(whenever that is)!

Last edited by pbass; 10-29-12 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-29-12, 12:00 PM

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe, '73/60 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Way to go RWC, sure helps to be in good physical condition.