Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is something that'll go through a Gatorskin!

All the intentions of doing a 30 to 35 mile ride this early am--about 17 miles into it I hit a nail and puncture my rear tire. Remember, this is around 05:30 and it's totally dark. As fortune would have it, the flat happened 2 houses down from the house of the owner of my favorite LBS--and he has his porch light on--much better than changing a flat by flashlight. I walk the bike to his porch area and remove the tire. What I see looks like just a hunk of metal that punctured the tire. After much work the object turns out to be 2 inch nail with the head deformed(made it look like some those nails from 100 years ago)--I suspect a roofing nail. I remove the punctured tube and pull a new tube from my bag(never been used). I try to inflate the tube a little to insert it but it won't hold air! WT*!@&$@@&!!! Just as I'm encountering this, the guy's significant other returns from walking the dog. She goes inside and just as I'm about to wake the wife with a phone call, Connie, the dog walker, comes out with a floor pump and a new tube. This time it works fine and I finally get back going...all this taking wayyyy too long and now I only have time to do a 22 mile ride(17 + 5) instead of the 30 to 35 mile ride I had planned.

Anyway, since I have just shy of 6000 miles on the tires, I go to the LBS in the afternoon and buy two new tires(folding Gatorskins). Additionally, the owner sells me 2 tubes for the price of one and takes the defective tube. I also needed a floor pump as the one I bought from the LBS less than a year ago has a problem. He takes 20% off the new, and better, floor pump. He plans to handle the return of the problematic floor pump to get it replaced--which will give me a back up pump or one I might sell on Craig's List.

A rather adventurous day if I must say. There was nothing left to do but have some pie--which I did, Cherry pie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too many coincidences I think your are stalking Connie,,I often wondered what I would do with a break down.I work shift work and ride when no one is around.Iguess I would call a cab.Only had to call my wife twice both about 10 miles out.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few weeks ago while warming up on the course for a cyclo cross race I cut a turn short and ripped the rear derailer off. That meant game over for the day. While walking back to the start area some guy I didn't know saw my broken bike and offered his BMC mtb for me to use. Really? Wow!!! I got to race after all but got no warmup. The race went off and I stayed towards the back attempting to ramp up my effort as I warmed up. Half way through the second lap "pssssss". I flatted and walked the broken and borrowed bike back to the owner. I went to my car along the way and got $10 for a new tube. This went into and out both sidewalks of the tire.

oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was most impressed with your LBS...

Mine is one who supports me, my bikes and my riding. It sounds like your's does as well.
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a bad morning, overall.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for your LBS owner's wife's helping you out. You got in a ride, learned the LBS is a really stand up place with great people and got some smoking deals on things you really needed. As said above, not a bad at all, I can think of several really bad scenarios for this.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was quite an adventure, thanks for sharing.

I use Gatorskins too, and yes . . . some things will go right through them (sheet metal screw got one of mine) but overall they are quite sturdy and flat resistant (though yes, rather heavy, but oh well).

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only flat I've gotten in years of riding Gatorskins was a roofing nail in the front tire, dead center of the contact patch. It didn't flat; I just gave off a loud tick. So, I road slowly to a safe and shady spot, and when I pull out the nail..woosh. Replaced the tube and off I went. Never found the hole in the tire, it just sort of self-sealed. Luv Conti's tires, have the new Ecoplus tires on my car as well.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not only the support, but Walt, the owner of the LBS and the home owner asked me why I didn't wake him up at 05:30. I told him that's an amazing offer, but I wouldn't impose like that. I've known from the beginning how supportive my LBS is. I've even bought things from them even though I could save a few bucks getting the item off the net. I want to help support their business.

@FrenchFit,
    I couldn't find the hole either--still can't and I've looked like a dozen times for it, inside and out, but since the tires, or tyres, had nearly 6000 miles, I decided to replace them anyway...now I have temporary spares at home. I got the foldables which mean they're a bit lighter than the wire beaded ones--also a bit easier to get off and install.
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 10-26-12 at 05:38 AM. Reason: word correction

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's worth paying a little more to keep a good local shop in business.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the 2010 Vivabikevegas I grouped with a Salt Lake Rider who was sporting new Gatorskins. He flatted in the first 5 miles. Just a common desert sticker was the culprit. He was pissed. But we got him tubed up and riding again in 5 minutes.

Fear the Stickers in the desert!
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thing that you were able to find help that early in the morning. Nothing like trying to work in the dark with little to no light available. I just purchased two Gatorskins (beaded) today (one is on backorder) to replace the two I have on the Colnago. I have just over 5,000 miles on mine and although they still look like they would hold up for a few thousand more, I am playing it safe and changing them when the other tire comes in next week. The LBS that I got mine from has a 20-30% discount on all items in the store during October, so I got mine for $44.00 ea. They are a bit heavier than the foldable tires, but from what I have read, they have a thicker sidewall.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Tulsa Okla, for now. Wyoming is home for me.
    My Bikes
    Trek 400 Elance, Miyata, Surly disc Truker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Everyone!

A little off topic here but not really. I found a pair of Conti Duraskins +k's 700/23's for 30 bucks. Figured there was no way I could go wrong at that price. Any one have any experience with the Duraskins?
    It all started with those twins in a small village in Peru,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of things will go through Gatorskins. Between my bike and my wife's bike, both shod with Ultra Gatorskins, we had 13 flat tires on a 3700 mile cross country tour. There have also been another half dozen punctures while on other tours. There were goatheads, nails "tire wires", screws, glass, and an array of unknown objects. While I still run Gatorskins on one of my bikes, I have switched over to Shwalbe Marathons on our touring bikes. This reduced the amount of punctures by about 70%. The trade off is in weight.

I'm not sure why my wife always gets to take the pictures. She knows how to change a tube, and it is her bike

Keep a pair of latex or nitrile exam gloves in your seat bag. It keeps the hands clean when removing back wheels.
    Last edited by Doug64; 10-29-12 at 11:56 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug64 View Post
    A lot of things will go through Gatorskins. Between my bike and my wife's bike, both shod with Ultra Gatorskins, we had 13 flat tires on a 3700 mile cross country tour. There have also been another half dozen punctures while on other tours. There were goatheads, nails "tire wires", screws, glass, and an array of unknown objects. While I still run Gatorskins on one of my bikes, I have switched over to Shwalbe Marathons on our touring bikes. This reduced the amount of punctures by about 70%. The trade off is in weight.

I'm not sure why my wife always gets to take the pictures. She knows how to change a tube, and it is her bike

Keep a pair of latex or nitrile exam gloves in your seat bag. It keeps the hands clean when removing back wheels.
    Just think how many flats you would've had riding a less flat resistant tire. The flat I had that started this thread was the first flat from a puncture I had in nearly 6000 miles on the Gators, and I've ridden over glass, sharp stones, changes in road level(re-surfacing), pot holes, bits of metal and sticks. (The other flats were pinch(only 2 in that time), not puncture).

Oh, I also have a pair of gloves in my bag--better than crud and grease getting all over the hands--as well as a couple of folded shop towel(blue paper towel).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just think how many flats you would've had riding a less flat resistant tire
    Good point. Our rear tires get thin relatively fast due to the added weight. I was not really whining. It is fairly easy to fix punctures. However, as a lot of you have found out with the Gatorskins; they are not always easy to get mounted, especially when new.

My Bikes
    '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to average 2 flats per month, many in the side wall, from the chip-seal and cinder-tar roads near my home. Since switching to the Gatorskin Hardshells I haven't had any more flats, none, though I bet a nail would do it. The extra weight is insignificant, IMO, it's less than a bottle of water. You will need six hands to mount them. There seemed to be a break-in period for them too, or me maybe.
    The great Confucius said that he would
    rather be a profound political economist than chief of police.