Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hurricane Sandy and riding

Well, I'll likely not get a ride on Sunday, Monday, and likely Tuesday because of Hurricane Sandy. Got in a 55 miler this am though. I would've made it a full metric century, but it was already getting a bit past when I take morning meds--so I got home after 55.7 miles.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just came back from a ride (in DC) and the wind was kicking up. This seems a bit early to have been from Sandy but it gave me a little inkling of winds to come.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A picture of dorothy and the wicked witch comes to mind.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...of course after a 55+mile ride, there must be PIE! Cherry Pie.

Pie was eagerly consumed as required by forum rules.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 10-27-12 at 12:36 PM.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang, he ate the whole thing!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berner View Post
    Dang, he ate the whole thing!

Actually, got that pie several days ago and we've, the wife and I(and I suspect my son had a piece), have been picking at it. But, the wife said I definitely should have the last remaining piece. One of the reasons for the pie consumption, other than celebratory, is I need to gain some weight back. Last Tuesday I weighed only 137.6 lbs so an increase in calorie content was necessitated, I really don't want to be less than 141 or 142(the wife would like me at 148 at least...ummm, I'm not going that high). BTW, each day I had pie, prior to today, I road at least 27 miles.

My Bikes
    2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post

Actually, got that pie several days ago and we've, the wife and I(and I suspect my son had a piece), have been picking at it. But, the wife said I definitely should have the last remaining piece. One of the reasons for the pie consumption, other than celebratory, is I need to gain some weight back. Last Tuesday I weighed only 137.6 lbs so an increase in calorie content was necessitated, I really don't want to be less than 141 or 142(the wife would like me at 148 at least...ummm, I'm not going that high). BTW, each day I had pie, prior to today, I road at least 27 miles.
    This is the kind of difficult situation I hope to find myself in some day...

Everyone else eastwards, 'Batten down the hatches mates'. Hope you all ride out the storm safely.
    there is no signature.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek 8.4 DS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode my hybrid this morning in central Florida (The Villages) and there were wind gusts which were blowing me sideways at times. The wind did decrease my avg mph by 2mph. I don't like riding in the wind but today I was determined not to let it get to me since I haven't been able to ride for the last 3 1/2 weeks. The one good thing was that at least I didn't have rain with the wind.

My Bikes
    Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure it's a bigger concern for you than it was for us but the winds kicked my butt this morning. I went out with a group that's too fast for me and when I got dropped I couldn't hide my oversized behind from the wind (I only outweigh you by a little over 100lbs) It's interesting when you turn in one direction and have trouble getting over 15mph and turn a different direction and ride 21-22 without much effort.
    I hope the storm passes you unharmed.. All of us in Florida understand the danger
    Red, like the color my hair used to be.

Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Six of us did 35 mi. on our cross bikes riding a rail trail from Lebanon, CT to East Hampton, CT and back. I've started my generator to make sure it's ready, filled a 10 gal can with gas, cleaned our gutters and stocked up on batteries and flashlights. Feeling pretty confident at this point. Going to try to get another 30 mi. cross ride in tomorrow.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6c
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a hard 40 with lots of hills. I figure I won't be ringing till next weekend.

Even after the storm the streets will have a lot of debris and branches so its better to give it a few days and not risk a crash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is one nearby park thats a mile and a quater loop.I ride when short on time or don't feel like getting killed in traffic.I'm a city slicker.After a storm I walk the loop and pick up all the branches and debris.I get looks like I'm crazy.Maybe I should stop wearing the helmut.Lets be safe out there!

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan on riding tomorrow, before we start to experience the heavy wind/rain that is expected.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got up this morning to try and get to the MUP before the winds started, but no luck. I looked out the window and the trees were bending like crazy. After riding in yesterday's killer crosswinds, I decided it wasn't going to be any better out at the MUP, which is normally more open than where I live. Tomorrow is suppose to be the same, as far as the winds go, but not as strong.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got in 48 this morning before the wet and wind comes...
    Then the chocolate pie

My Bikes
    1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Trek 600, 1985 Trek 660, 197? Holdsworth Mistral, 1995 Trek 800 mountain bike, 2013 Jamis Coda Comp, 2013 Specialized Crosstrack.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning on heading out tomorrow morning, weather is expected to turn bad late in the day. Wife is planning to go out in her kayak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road with a friend this morning on mostly dirt and gravel roads in and around Bedminster, NJ. This is the place money comes from. Amazing estates and beautiful, rolling countryside. We passed a group of hunters. They were on horseback. We didn't tell them that the fox was back down the road the other direction. Suckers.

I would hate to be on those roads in any vehicle in a couple of days.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    There is one nearby park thats a mile and a quater loop.I ride when short on time or don't feel like getting killed in traffic.I'm a city slicker.After a storm I walk the loop and pick up all the branches and debris.I get looks like I'm crazy.Maybe I should stop wearing the helmut.Lets be safe out there!
    Off topic a bit, but I've considered hiring a street sweeper to run my favorite routes...
    there is no signature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got in a metric today. I had to deal with some winds. I thought that they might be the first bands from Sandy, but they were apparently associated with a high sitting off the coast.

I'm on wait and see for tomorrow. I'll give it a shot even if it's 25-30. At a steady 40, with 60-80 gusts, it's a tad beyond my comfort range. So Monday looks like a no-go.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otg View Post
    I'm planning on heading out tomorrow morning, weather is expected to turn bad late in the day. Wife is planning to go out in her kayak.
    The latest WFSB weather report is that it's going to hit Monday morning. I'm thinking about foregoing this morning's ride to check everything around our house for the big event. I wouldn't be going out in a Kayak today.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't get up until late this am as I knew I wasn't going to be riding. It was already raining steady with winds last night. It's miserable outside with the chill, wind and rain at the moment. Monday is going to be worse. I'm guessing the soonest I'll be able to ride will be Wednesday, .
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 10-28-12 at 08:26 AM.

My Bikes
    Trek 3900 Trek 1.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amd ur riding! Lol, im in Frederick, MD and im just going on my tainer for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got in my ride today. 21.5 miles. It was blowing 20- 25 out of the east. Gusts weren't significantly higher. I chose a MUT that is pretty straight east/west. I don't mind 25 mph headwinds as much as I mind crosswinds at that velocity.

Using my 34/17 and 34/15 combos on the flats was a bit out of the ordinary, though.

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post

I'm sure I am speaking for more folks then just myself here, how about I send ya 10lbs extra I've got, then you would have your 148

As for Sandy, it's supposed to pass nicely to the East, but we are supposed to get 100km/h winds, doesn't make much difference riding, I do most of that indoors until spring....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
    I'm sure I am speaking for more folks then just myself here, how about I send ya 10lbs extra I've got, then you would have your 148 ....

Although I appreciate the thought, I'll enjoy the pie method of getting back a lb or 2. I'm very cautious about gaining weight as I've worked hard to get to this point. Many here may remember I stated I once(Aug 2010) weighed around 251~255 lbs. Once gaining starts it's a slippery slope and can easily catch you if you don't keep tabs. I'm determined never, NEVER, to let myself get overweight again!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast