Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help me before I n+1 again....

A nearby LBS is advertising a 2012 Felt Z2 in my size for just over $4k. Dura Ace DI2, Shimano RS80, carbon/alloy wheels. I think the normal list price is around $7k. I'll be test riding it tomorrow.

This was not in my plans, but I've been watching my riding buddies who have DI2 and it looks sweet, and of course I dream of a frame and wheel upgrade. I may not be able to resist. Of course, everything depends on how it feels in the test ride....

Does anybody ride the Z2? What do you think?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No chance of help from me- It's your problem so stop prevaricating and just buy it.
    Last edited by stapfam; 10-31-12 at 01:11 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode the Dura Ace DI2's and can only say they are sooo very sweet... I think the next step up from them is an automatic transmission. Until then, it is a simple little "click" and away you go...

... Sorry, no help here either...

Keep us posted -- and don't forget the pictures...
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I wish I could even afford a 4K bike.

My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do it, you'll be helping the world economy.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't ride a Felt, and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express either, but their bikes and the Ui2 are well thought of and work flawlessly for those that have them. Spend it now or spend more later when you start thinking you screwed up by not buying it when you had the chance and it has gone up in price.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say, "If it fits and you can afford it, Go for it!" I was in the same boat and perfectly happy with my aluminum frame Giant Defy until the day that I walked into the LBS and saw this red and white, carbon fiber Bianchi Infinito sitting there calling out to me. I knew at that moment, that I had fallen into the clutches of the dreaded N+1 disease and the only cure was to buy the bike. Unfortunately, they didn't have my size in the red and neither did the distributor. But then I saw the Colnago. After days of doing nothing but thinking of what it would be like to ride this bike all the time, I went in and pulled the trigger. Lucky for me, the distributor only had my bike size and color with the Ultegra group, which the LBS only charged me $100.00 more for it than the same bike with the 105 group.

As Bill said, "Spend it now or spend more later when you start thinking you screwed up by not buying it when you had the chance and it has gone up in price." Jump on it! You won't be sorry
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for it!!!
    I have a 2011 Z4 (Ultegra, not Di2) and the ride is awesome. The Z2 must be super-awesome.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked part time as a wrench in a high end road bike shop this past spring. I got to ride numerous bikes with Di2 during post service test rides. As much as I've groused about my feeling they have no need to exist, I have to admit they are pretty slick.
    Saw a couple of examples of the Campy electronic, but never got to try it out.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N+1 keeps me smiling like an old fool.
    2013 Litespeed T5, 2012 Super Six, 2012 Bianchi Vigorelli, 2011 CAAD 10, 2011 Trek Project One, 2009 Trek Project One

My Bikes
    Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    so stop prevaricating
    Particularly in public

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikejrff View Post
    N+1 keeps me smiling like an old fool.
    OMG - looking at your list of current bikes, you seem to have a serious n+1 habit. how did you manage to avoid n+1 in 2012?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asking this bunch to help you to stop a N+1 deal is like asking a pusher to help kick a drug habit. Good luck and post pictures.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a thought. If you truly want to resist the urge to buy the n+1 for 4 grand, send the money my way. I'll be glad to take it off your hands.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chug! Chug! Chug!
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will you be riding it in the Minnesota winter?

In my opinion, electronic shifting is useful in three circumstances:

1. On a time trial bike, where you can set up satellite shift buttons at the brake levers and at the ends of the aero bars, allowing you to shift gears without changing hand positions, thus maintaining your aero position while on the aero bars, or allowing you to shift even while you are climbing or cornering with the hands out on the brakes.

2. On cold rides, where your hands get too cold to work the mechanical shift levers on the brifters. Shimano front derailleurs especially tend to get a bit "sticky" and hard to shift, especially when your hands are frozen.

3. I think it's also useful if you're usng mechanical Shimano shifters, since they are so badly designed from an ergonomic standpoint. For example, when you move a Campag shift lever (either direction), the thing shifts. Right now. With Shimano, if you're downshifting, it shifts right away. But upshifting is actually a two-step movement - the thing only shifts on the release step: click (no shift yet), release (now it shifts). This is why I would never use mechanical Shimano shifters. But I think Di2 fixes this.

My recommendation: go ride a fixie and get out of this stupid and constant corporate marketing/upgrading cycle. Turn to Buddhism and learn to forego desire. Save your money. Just my two bits...

Luis

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we all get caught up in the, "if I buy a better/newer camera, I'll take better pictures." I know I do.

However, there is a certain amount of satisfaction using fine tools, whether it is a bike, skis, camera or chisel.

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's so very simple, IF you can truely afford it and you really want it, then WHY do you care what anyone else thinks?? Me, I couldn't even DREAM of bicycle costing $4 Grand, much less $7Grand but life is SHORT, as Nike says: Just Do It!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, this is a little anti-climactic, but the guy at the LBS didn't get back to me and the test ride didn't happen today. It's possible that the bike is already sold, but if it isn't I won't have time to pursue it until Saturday, if it's still available.

So maybe I won't be getting a great bargain on the bike of my dreams.

Thanks all for your input and your perspective. I don't NEED this bike. It's true that I ride a low end road bike (Trek 2.1 Al frame, 105 components) and that most everybody in my local club rides with much nicer gear, but there's nothing wrong with my bike and I have no illusions that a better bike will suddenly make me a stronger puller or a noticeably better climber. But my few experiences on really nice carbon bikes is that they are a joy to ride.

To those who say that $4k is a heck of a lot to spend on a bike - yeah it is. I can "afford" it in the sense that I have more than that sitting in my checking account and I have a very secure job- I'm very fortunate that I do not live close to the financial edge. (And I KNOW that that makes me fortunate). On the other hand, there are other long-range demands on that money - keeping my 100 y.o. house from falling down, my daughter's college fund, etc. so I debate the wisdom of spending that kind of coin on a bike.

But biking is my passion and I spend many hours/month in the saddle. I may still pull the trigger if the opportunity hasn't passed.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch for sales on Ultegra Di2; it works just as well as Dura Ace, and it's a much better value, as long as you're happy with a 10sp cassette (rather than 11). I understand the components are also interchangeable, so you can always upgrade, especially the parts that stand out, so that it's harder to tell if it's DA or Ultegra. Not many people can tell the difference, anyway. Even fewer care, unless it's on their own bike!

Luis

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post

To those who say that $4k is a heck of a lot to spend on a bike - yeah it is. I can "afford" it in the sense that I have more than that sitting in my checking account and I have a very secure job- I'm very fortunate that I do not live close to the financial edge. ...
    But biking is my passion and I spend many hours/month in the saddle. I may still pull the trigger if the opportunity hasn't passed.
    No apologies needed. You seem to have fortunate circumstances in your lfe and it seems that you are aware of them and grateful for them.

I say: ENJOY THEM!
    .... Don't waste them (which it is clear that you don't) -- but don't disavow them either!

Best of luck with your dream...
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug64 View Post
    there is a certain amount of satisfaction using fine tools, whether it is a bike, skis, camera or chisel.
    It happens with the beautiful, and the mundane... Today I narrowed my selection of snow tires to a middle of the road Goodyear with a middle of the road price, and top rated Michelins priced to match. The Michelins won.

Buy the felt.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

My Bikes
    Varied and subject to change
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are a fortunate man who got to this forum by living long enough and you have done well. I have bought 2 new bikes this year that aren't anywhere near what you are looking at, but it was comfortable enough for me to do it without putting us in any kind of jeopardy. I am enjoying them both immensely. This is "our" time. If it is still there when you go in next, heck yes, enjoy the bike. To you, it will be rewarding and worth every penney. If I find ourself in a safe position next year, then we will buy a new tandem and we will enjoy every day we can go out and play!
    Below knee amputee, left
    Riding every chance I get
    Tandem riding with my wife
    "Tour de Cure" American Diabetes Assoc Charity bike ride.
    2012 Salsa Fargo "Drop bar 29er Adventure bike"
    2013 Cannondale CAADX Cyclocross bike, "Do it all road bike"
    Mid 90s Burley Duet Tandem "Always a project under construction"

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
    well, this is a little anti-climactic, but the guy at the LBS didn't get back to me and the test ride didn't happen today. It's possible that the bike is already sold, but if it isn't I won't have time to pursue it until Saturday, if it's still available.

So maybe I won't be getting a great bargain on the bike of my dreams.

Thanks all for your input and your perspective. I don't NEED this bike. It's true that I ride a low end road bike (Trek 2.1 Al frame, 105 components) and that most everybody in my local club rides with much nicer gear, but there's nothing wrong with my bike and I have no illusions that a better bike will suddenly make me a stronger puller or a noticeably better climber. But my few experiences on really nice carbon bikes is that they are a joy to ride.

To those who say that $4k is a heck of a lot to spend on a bike - yeah it is. I can "afford" it in the sense that I have more than that sitting in my checking account and I have a very secure job- I'm very fortunate that I do not live close to the financial edge. (And I KNOW that that makes me fortunate). On the other hand, there are other long-range demands on that money - keeping my 100 y.o. house from falling down, my daughter's college fund, etc. so I debate the wisdom of spending that kind of coin on a bike.

You'll get it one day...
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do it if its still there. You say biking is your passion, then it's worth it. A few years ago I was looking at a CF bike, but had just retired and was trying to figure out expenses on less income. When I talked about it with my wife she said "you worked hard, you enjoy biking, and you will use it, so get it". I did and have never regretted it. So just do it, as they say.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast