Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Spin Class

I posted my story in another thread. This is sort of a continuation of that.

It was time to attempt the next step in my rehab. That meant returning to spin class. This class is taught by a gal who is educated to the Masters level, is a real size person and, if in the movie industry, would qualify to be the Warrior Queen. Plus, she is a real friend. So, I knew I would be met with understanding, encouragement and if I made it to the goal of 15 minutes even some praise.

First person I met was a young woman who I did not recognize, although she plainly recognized me. Turns out early in her spin life she was going to quit but accepted my encouragement and now is 25 pounds lighter and much, much more fit. Next, was anotherr woman who is an armed military security guard and a cancer survivor. We rode next to each other and had a good time.

Class started and we were off to the races. The key in this class is to maintain the designated rpm while adjusting the bike to simulate the resistance that comes along with a variety of terrain. This is NOT a suffer fest. Each rider is encouraged to ride their own ride.

Amazingly, absolutely amazingly, although I could not do jumps I was able to do some standing riding and was able to keep up the pace for most of the class. At the end of the 50 minutes I was still there and still pedaling! Surprised myself!

When we went to get the athletic wipes to clean our bikes I had another rider come over, welcomed me back and gave me a high five. She and others made me promise to come back next Saturday. (Note that most of the people are female. Around here at least, not many guys do spin. I think their egos can't stand being trounced by a girl, no matter how much in fun it is done.)

In short, the day went way better than I expected. Plus, these are my kind of people. They are positive, encouraging, competitive in a very friendly way and do thieir best to understand and support each other.

Wonder if I'll be able to walk tomorrow?
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Aspect 940 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool Story, I've never been to a spin class.

But I do spin,
    Often right by younger people with really powerful looking engines(legs) !

Yup cool story.
    Getting Stronger, Scott Aspect 940 29er, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Harley 1200R Sportster

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am planning to join a spin class soon, as the weather deteriorates. I was in one for a while last year but it became very popular and the room turned into an oven with too many sweaty Betties spinning away so I dropped out. I noticed a different class on a different day looks a lot less populated. I am going to try that one. If that gets crowded out I will go back to my alternate - 20 minutes of intermittent sprints on a spinning bike by myself when class is not in session. From everything I have read, that is ideal for fitness when couple with weight training.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donheff View Post
    I am planning to join a spin class soon, as the weather deteriorates. I was in one for a while last year but it became very popular and the room turned into an oven with too many sweaty Betties spinning away so I dropped out. I noticed a different class on a different day looks a lot less populated. I am going to try that one. If that gets crowded out I will go back to my alternate - 20 minutes of intermittent sprints on a spinning bike by myself when class is not in session. From everything I have read, that is ideal for fitness when couple with weight training.
    Worth noting: Lots of people riding in a room that isn't well ventilated can not only heat the room, it can lower the O2 level in the room. IMO it is also nicer when a spin class is led by someone who actually rides a bike. Anyway, good luck with it. Indoor riding can really be valuable and productive stuff.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Worth noting: Lots of people riding in a room that isn't well ventilated can not only heat the room, it can lower the O2 level in the room. IMO it is also nicer when a spin class is led by someone who actually rides a bike. Anyway, good luck with it. Indoor riding can really be valuable and productive stuff.
    You talkin' about methane?
    ... I know some people who seem able to "lower the O2 level" singlehandedly...
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 HawkOwl
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! Not only can I walk, I don't hurt that awful much. Still, today is a day of rest.

I've can recommend spin biking complimented by free weights, or certain machines, as an excellent way to not only maintain, but to improve, fitness. To me, though, it isn't the physical climate that is important; that can be a worthwhile challenge to overcome. It is the emotional climate established by the class leader and participants.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.