Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Beginner's Mind

  1. #1
    Senior Member GeorgeBMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Posts
    1,795
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Beginner's Mind

    "In the beginner's mind there are many possiblities, but in the expert's there are few."
    Shunryu Suzuki

    That is not to proseltyze any religion (actually I have never thought of Buddhism as a religion).

    But, as much as I respect (even revere) -- and appreciate -- the opinions of those on this 50+ forum who have vast amounts of knowledge and experience, I wonder if sometimes it is not better to return to the simple days of:
    "Let's jump on a bike and see where it takes us?"

    Forget the CF's and SPD's... Just ride and enjoy... And whatever contributes to that enjoyment is the right choice...
    ... Or are those days gone for us?

    Just sayin'


    ... Now I'll go look for my fire extinguisher. I have a feeling I'm gonna need it!
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

  2. #2
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,174
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are barking up Denver's tree. Smiles not miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

  3. #3
    Email for new group DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Posts
    20,883
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possiblities, but in the expert's there are few."
    Shunryu Suzuki

    That is not to proseltyze any religion (actually I have never thought of Buddhism as a religion).

    But, as much as I respect (even revere) -- and appreciate -- the opinions of those on this 50+ forum who have vast amounts of knowledge and experience, I wonder if sometimes it is not better to return to the simple days of:
    "Let's jump on a bike and see where it takes us?"

    Forget the CF's and SPD's... Just ride and enjoy... And whatever contributes to that enjoyment is the right choice...
    ... Or are those days gone for us?

    Just sayin'


    ... Now I'll go look for my fire extinguisher. I have a feeling I'm gonna need it!
    We have this discussion at least 2 times per year. The answer is "Live and let live." (I thought, in fact, that we just went down this route a few weeks ago)

    In any event, bicycling is one sport/activity where one can very easily make one's own decision about the rules of the game and how one wants to play.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

  4. #4
    Senior Member howsteepisit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Mecian
    Posts
    2,908
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In many ways, they are gone for me. I still love a good ride, and even most bad ones. But I sadly will neer recapture those days before there was such things as training, cadence, form, fitness, clips, clip less, so on. Even the teenage days of where ya riding today? I don know, see how I feel on the road.

    However, the good side is being able to ride worry free, I know I can handle whatever a ride throws at me. But I miss the feeling of the adventure.

    PS Denver - In my case its internal not external.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

    "Toes"

  5. #5
    I need speed AzTallRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Posts
    5,487
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

  6. #6
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride a bike without SPD's? Too dangerous.

    Ok for trips into town or round to my daughters but I don't feel secure without being clipped into the bike.

    Then depends on the ride I have planned. Hills and it is the bike set up for them with the triple and lightweight wheels. Going to be a faster ride with the lads and it is the 15lbs L/w Aluminium that handles well. Just an ordinary ride that doesn't do more than 3,000ft of climbing and speed will not come into it- it is the Pinnie.

    But if I did not enjoy riding- I would not be doing it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Middle of the road, NJ
    Posts
    2,161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=GeorgeBMac;14911986


    "Let's jump on a bike and see where it takes us?"

    [/QUOTE]

    Every ride.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

  8. #8
    Senior Member GeorgeBMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Posts
    1,795
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    ...In any event, bicycling is one sport/activity where one can very easily make one's own decision about the rules of the game and how one wants to play.
    OK, Thanks...

    With as much respect as I have for the people on this forum, perhaps I was thinking that they needed some changin'...

    Stapfam (not to pick on him) as well as others is quite clear about what he 'enjoys'. And for me to suggest that there could be ANYTHING wrong with that is disrespectful and just plain wrong...

    Thanks for clearing that up...

    Quote Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

  9. #9
    Senior Member Terex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Jersey - outside the bibs.
    Posts
    3,472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
    ― Miyamoto Musashi, A Book of Five Rings
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

  10. #10
    Senior Member Mort Canard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember that not everyone comes to bicycling from the same place. Look at the Bike Forums. The Bicycle Mechanics and Classic & Vintage forums are full of people who love to tweak on their machines. They can spend hours researching just the right components for their bike.

    The various racing forums have a lot of people who are not happy unless they are at max speed with their heart pounding and their legs on the verge of oxygen deficit.

    The utility cycling forum has folks who want to do the most mundane tasks on their bicycles and buy or make some very strange bikes to haul stuff around.

    The Clydesdales & Athenas forum has a lot of people whose main goal on a bicycle is to lose weight.

    Then there are a lot of young folks in Alt Bike Culture and other places who like a bicycle for stylin'.

    A lot of it depends on what you want out of bicycling and why you do it.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

  11. #11
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    11,097
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    OK, Thanks...

    With as much respect as I have for the people on this forum, perhaps I was thinking that they needed some changin'...

    Stapfam (not to pick on him) as well as others is quite clear about what he 'enjoys'. And for me to suggest that there could be ANYTHING wrong with that is disrespectful and just plain wrong...

    Thanks for clearing that up...
    Sooooo..... what WERE you hoping for? Any history reading this forum would show that not all people here are committed to carbon and clips.

    Painting with too wide a brush results in painting a lot of what should not be painted.

  12. #12
    Senior Member osco53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Aspect 29er HT, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Posts
    640
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I ride for fun, I think we all do

    But I like reading all the Hi-Tec data and super tec observations of these people.
    Like, I just looked over a riders computer print out of his whole 67 mile ride, all kinds of data, calories, speeds, elevations,

    Very cool stuff !

    The Bits and pieces of useful data I get from these riders often enhances my riding ability.

    Yeah I ride for excersise but I really do It for fun.
    Scott Aspect 940 29er, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

  13. #13
    Super Moderator tractorlegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Locked by the Door
    My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Posts
    2,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possiblities, but in the expert's there are few."
    Shunryu Suzuki

    That is not to proseltyze any religion (actually I have never thought of Buddhism as a religion).

    But, as much as I respect (even revere) -- and appreciate -- the opinions of those on this 50+ forum who have vast amounts of knowledge and experience, I wonder if sometimes it is not better to return to the simple days of:
    "Let's jump on a bike and see where it takes us?"

    Forget the CF's and SPD's... Just ride and enjoy... And whatever contributes to that enjoyment is the right choice...
    ... Or are those days gone for us?

    Just sayin'


    ... Now I'll go look for my fire extinguisher. I have a feeling I'm gonna need it!
    My experience is the opposite - I took it too seriously and did not enjoy bicycling as much in my younger days (note that I didn't say cycling was horrible, I said "didn't enjoy it as much"). Now that I'm about to turn 60 I'm enjoying cycling much more, and for the very reasons you describe. Every mile is an adventure, and there is so much to see! I ride slower though. I actually did switch from SPDs to platform pedals about a year ago, but I don't think that makes the ride any less or more enjoyable.
    Forum Guidelines
    ****************************************

  14. #14
    Beicwyr Hapus Gerryattrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Mallorca for 10 days
    My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Posts
    635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I returned to cycling after a gap of 30 years and found that I enjoyed it in much the same way I did as a youngster. I now ride mtbs, which I never did before, and the fun of taking that detour trail, or the muddy bit, or the path along the coast often just makes me smile as I ride. ( I've even been known to sing out loud as I ride )


    The falling off isn't as much fun though.

  15. #15
    Starting over CraigB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Posts
    4,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have that very thought at least once each season, usually when I'm putting on my cleated shoes and helmet, and wish things were simpler like when I was a kid. But I still go ahead and "kit up" anyway.
    Craig in Indy

  16. #16
    Senior Member browngw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Port Dover Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    1976 SuperCycle Excalibur,1980 Raleigh Record, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2010 Giant Cypress, 2012 Giant Halfway Folder
    Posts
    423
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possiblities, but in the expert's there are few."
    Shunryu Suzuki

    Forget the CF's and SPD's... Just ride and enjoy... And whatever contributes to that enjoyment is the right choice...
    ... Or are those days gone for us?

    Just sayin'

    !
    Some days I feel a bit like this myself. I am a relatively new enthusiast. Up until a couple of years ago, my bike was a rusty old Sears MTB which collected rust on the back of the RV.

    Now I have restored some old bikes, ridden a metric century, own some new bikes and even converted some friends and family with my newfound enthusiasm.

    I also started viewing "Bike Forums". Always entertaining, but sometimes almost annoying in a high school "peer pressure" sort of way. The North American preoccupation with so-called "race bikes" and "high end" sometimes spoils the fun for us "unracers" (thanks G.P., for the definition). Putting a $$ value on everything seems to be a human malady these days.

    Just remember, define your own "bike lifestyle" and be proud of it. See our latest "unrace" bikes attached.

    IMG_2168.jpg
    We are what we reflect. We are the changes that we bring to this world. Ride often. -Geo.-

  17. #17
    Email for new group DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Posts
    20,883
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by browngw View Post
    Some days I feel a bit like this myself. I am a relatively new enthusiast. Up until a couple of years ago, my bike was a rusty old Sears MTB which collected rust on the back of the RV.

    Now I have restored some old bikes, ridden a metric century, own some new bikes and even converted some friends and family with my newfound enthusiasm.

    I also started viewing "Bike Forums". Always entertaining, but sometimes almost annoying in a high school "peer pressure" sort of way. The North American preoccupation with so-called "race bikes" and "high end" sometimes spoils the fun for us "unracers" (thanks G.P., for the definition). Putting a $$ value on everything seems to be a human malady these days.

    Just remember, define your own "bike lifestyle" and be proud of it. See our latest "unrace" bikes attached.
    For those looking for a less "intense" experience on Bike Forums, I would suggest the Recreational and Family forum - (a forum Joe and I started years ago) - or the hybrid forum, among others.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

  18. #18
    I need speed AzTallRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Posts
    5,487
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by browngw View Post
    The North American preoccupation with so-called "race bikes" and "high end" sometimes spoils the fun for us "unracers" (thanks G.P., for the definition).
    This is an interesting perspective - how does what someone else is doing spoil the fun for you? I'm a racer type, but you unracers don't spoil my fun, so I'm curious who is spoiling yours, and how they are doing it.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

  19. #19
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,822
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me I think that it has mostly to do with clothing. Shoes, shorts, helmet - also, how am I going to carry my wallet?

    I sometimes yearn for the days when I'd just jump on my bike in whatever clothes I happened to be wearing. My beater bike has double sided pedals so I can ride it comfortably without cleated shoes but Mrs. Grouch yells at me when she catches me riding to the hardware store without a helmet.

  20. #20
    Senior Member browngw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Port Dover Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    1976 SuperCycle Excalibur,1980 Raleigh Record, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2010 Giant Cypress, 2012 Giant Halfway Folder
    Posts
    423
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
    This is an interesting perspective - how does what someone else is doing spoil the fun for you? I'm a racer type, but you unracers don't spoil my fun, so I'm curious who is spoiling yours, and how they are doing it.
    Okay, here goes an weak attempt to explain myself. Perhaps I'll use some examples.

    I posted a garage sale bike, which my wife actually bought for me because it was near my birthday. I had never had a old style "ten speed" and excitedly posted it on C&V. I now know what "dork discs", "turkey wings", "gas pipe" and "Fred" mean! As an aside, on a recent RT ride a stick put my chain up against the dork disc and may have saved the day by protecting my spokes

    Folks go on endlessly about paint, powder coat and scratched finishes but totally eschew the solution to most of those problems, the lowly kickstand! It makes your bike stand up all by itself! Other, bordering on rude comments have been made about mirrors, bells, racks, etc.

    I recall a thread where a poster told someone they should get rid of their beloved "POS" (I figured that one out by myself) and get a "decent" (high end) bike.

    These type of comments don't really "spoil my fun" as much as they reflect disappointment in fellow cyclists.
    We are what we reflect. We are the changes that we bring to this world. Ride often. -Geo.-

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bristol, R. I.
    My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Posts
    1,521
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in favor of simplicity but would not want to over do it. In the world of cycle racing the goal is speed, not simplicity. If touring across Asia, a principal requirement of the bike is reliability. A bike, like any other machine, has to succeed at its intended purpose. Human nature being what it is, some will have stupid ideas as to how you should go about fulfilling your cycling goals. Pay no attention to stupid people at all.

    It seems to me that each person should have a fairly clear idea of what they want to get out a riding a bike. This does not mean that the initial idea can't evolve. In my case, I began with an old beater bike that was fine for knocking around town. Now I ride a bike that is lighter, quicker and will accept a rack and panniers for light touring, which I did with another Forum member and his wife this past summer and will do more next summer.

  22. #22
    Senior Member rdtompki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hollister, CA
    My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Posts
    3,934
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a fanatical runner into my early 40's: shorts teeshirt, shoes and go run with very little concern for HR zones, nutrition, etc. I suppose all runners today wear GPS, carry things like goo and fret over how much time they spend in Z4. Our lives our filled with gadgets in cars, in home entertainment, in every manner of mobile information access and connectivity. Why should cycling be any different? It is all about deriving enjoyment out of cycling whether on a throwback, un-instrumented steel ride or a tricked out, power measuring, lightweight CF wonder bike. When I retire I'm going to build-up a single speed, all that I will need for the 12-13 mile round trip to get a cup of coffee, but I'll keep riding my "30" speed Volagi and "40" speed daVinci with a few more bells and whistles when the mood or need strikes.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

  23. #23
    I need speed AzTallRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Posts
    5,487
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by browngw View Post
    Okay, here goes an weak attempt to explain myself. Perhaps I'll use some examples.

    I posted a garage sale bike, which my wife actually bought for me because it was near my birthday. I had never had a old style "ten speed" and excitedly posted it on C&V. I now know what "dork discs", "turkey wings", "gas pipe" and "Fred" mean! As an aside, on a recent RT ride a stick put my chain up against the dork disc and may have saved the day by protecting my spokes

    Folks go on endlessly about paint, powder coat and scratched finishes but totally eschew the solution to most of those problems, the lowly kickstand! It makes your bike stand up all by itself! Other, bordering on rude comments have been made about mirrors, bells, racks, etc.

    I recall a thread where a poster told someone they should get rid of their beloved "POS" (I figured that one out by myself) and get a "decent" (high end) bike.

    These type of comments don't really "spoil my fun" as much as they reflect disappointment in fellow cyclists.
    I hear you. That kind of stuff can be irritating when you read it (we racer types get that in reverse, and of course some people think anything not exactly like them is off), but at least it doesn't meess with our rides.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

  24. #24
    Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Posts
    6,795
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At our age why does anyone take the stuff that some say or type so literally or let it bother them? I stay out of any forum that I know will be a problem as far as expecting you to adhere to some fashion or mechanical dictate. Ride the bike you enjoy using and that suits your wants and needs. Wear what you want to wear when you cycle, you are not in high school trying to impress anyone in to a date or to mark your territory. Want to keep the spoke protector (my R500 still has its spoke protector, so what) than keep it, like the convenience a kick stand gives you, use it (I don't because I don't want any stays bent from one or by some idiot sitting on my bike with one down,) it is your bike and you paid for it, Ride it as you see fit. Your last sentence says things better anyway.

    You have 2 very nice looking Raleighs there, I would be proud to ride one of them and I am sure you are. Ride Lots and Ride Safe.

    Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

  25. #25
    Senior Member Bikey Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Posts
    3,215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm keeping my spoke protector...couldn't care less about what others think about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •