Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forum busier today. Bit OT.

Last week and there has been a lack of postings on the forum. I should think that "Sandy" has had a lot to do with this. Don't know how it has affected you over there as all I get is the BBC news and they will only show the Worst bits on the news and that has been horrific.

But how has it affected our members on the forum? From the news if your house did not get damaged or destroyed in the wind- you had floods everywhere that from local experience can be just as bad. If the house has gone- insurance pay out and you have a new home to find. Flood damage and it can be months before it is assessed and then a long wait for it to dry out enough to enable it to be repaired.

So any of you that have been badly affected- then you have my sympathy.

The UK is suffering a different problem right now and that is wind with rain. Have a few lulls but high winds are occuring down in the South. 25mph and gusting to 50 has curtailed the riding and you look for a window to get the bike out. Far worse is the rain. Not raining all the time but we arranged a ride last night for this morning. Knowing the roads would be a bit flooded it was going to be on the MTB's but woke up to plenty of horizontal rain. Not going out in that but The south East where I live has filled up with water. Slightest bit of rain and it no longer soaks into the ground. Run off from the fields is more like a stream on every low bit of ground filling the lower bits with floods. My garden this morning was running with water. and that has a 5ft slope over about 150ft- luckily away from the house. The whole garden was in 1" of water- just sitting on top of the lawns. Decided to spike one lawn and water came up from below.

But back to cycling-- a couple of riders did go out this morning and only got two miles up a Local wooded Forest track before they called it a day. The stream that is normally 4ft below the track was overflowing and taken a new route. Instead of running alongside the track- it decided to reach low ground by crossing it and putting it above wheel hub height. Ok -Wet feet but it has washed the track away and they did not feel like finding out how deep it was.

Problem now is that there is nowhere for the rain water to go. Fields are full up- Rivers just up to the limit and rain is forecast for the next 12 hours. Think I am going to tie down the Chicken coops tonight and look around for a small boat to get around on tomorrow.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fortunately the only negetive impact here has been nine consecutive days of cold, wet weather. I 'm not complaining when so many people who live not all that far from here have nothing. I can't imagine the emotional rollercoaster that those poor souls are suffering through.

Here's hoping that my meager donations and heartfelt prayers bring some good to all those devestated by this monster storm.

My daughter lives in Upper Manhatten and is well removed and safe from the devastation except, her school and places of work have been ravaged by the storm. We're still waiting to hear how she'll progress from here.

Cycling orientated, I ventured out to my overstuffed garage and did some re-arranging. I now have room to do some wrenching and work on refinishing some furniture. My basement is mostly de-cluttered so I have room to work on my train layout. I am truely blessed to still have so much compared to so many who don't even have a place to live now.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in Lebanon, CT we missed the brunt of the storm but it still left us without power for 3 days and cable service for 5 days. No real damage to our house but others lost trees, cars, etc. Much, much worse where I grew up in the NYC area.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    Fortunately the only negetive impact here has been nine consecutive days of cold, wet weather. I 'm not complaining when so many people who live not all that far from here have nothing. I can't imagine the emotional rollercoaster that those poor souls are suffering through.
    Hopedully this is not off-thread but -- I have been volunteering for the Red Cross for about 5 years. I mostly stay local but once ventured out for a 2 week stay on a large flooding disaster in West Virgina. And, I find that people just keep on amazing me with their strength, resiliancy and fortitude: From the man standing in front of the home that just burned to the ground with his son asking where his toys are, to the lady in West Virgina who had nothing -- but when asked if she needed help said: "Oh, don't worry about me..." And, when I said: "I see the water line -- you just had 3 feet of water in your one story home?" She replied: "Oh we'll just tack up some new paneling, we'll be fine".

I hope that I will have the strength that those people had when "my turn comes". (But I doubt it).
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    82*F Sunny, cut the front yard grass. Working on the touring bike.

70 mi yesterday, 68 mi the day before that. 3 flats

Earlier the club ride had Three crash on wet railroad tracks during a rain shower.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    Hopedully this is not off-thread but -- I have been volunteering for the Red Cross for about 5 years. I mostly stay local but once ventured out for a 2 week stay on a large flooding disaster in West Virgina. And, I find that people just keep on amazing me with their strength, resiliancy and fortitude: From the man standing in front of the home that just burned to the ground with his son asking where his toys are, to the lady in West Virgina who had nothing -- but when asked if she needed help said: "Oh, don't worry about me..." And, when I said: "I see the water line -- you just had 3 feet of water in your one story home?" She replied: "Oh we'll just tack up some new paneling, we'll be fine".

I hope that I will have the strength that those people had when "my turn comes". (But I doubt it).
    Since the beginning of 2009, I've lived through a bushfire that destroyed my home, killed 34 people in a nearby town and 173 overall. Then we had floods, although they didn't have a direct impact on us, but still resulted in extra effort at work, and a great deal of tension as it was unknown how and when the peak river flows would arrive.

Then more major flooding to the north of us that submerged many homes, cutting off families for days, and causing extensive damage to homes.

Australians are renowned for their resilience. It's a matter of pulling together, or else you'd just go crazy.

I still get emotional when I see what others have gone through. We are at Blairmore on Crowsnest Pass (near the US-Canadian border) this weekend. This area is famous for the Frank rock slide disaster than killed over 100 people in 1903. I had tears in my eyes reading about it, because... well, I can personally relate to that sort of disaster.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living in the desert in southern Arizona we have had no effects of the storm.
    Currently we stand at 6 inches of rainfall total for the year; in a drought as per usual.
    Temps up to 80 degrees F today.
    Have lived through tornadoes, 100-year floods (two of them!), huge ice storms, 40 degrees below zero and 117 degree 'warmth'.
    That's enough to last me a lifetime, but at age 80 why complain now?!

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Aspect 29er HT, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earth quakes,,no warning,,deadly,
    Tornado's,,watched an F5 from a safe distance once,,,deadly,
    Flash Floods In the west,,,not much warning,

Hurricanes, Tropical storms, We get to see those comming on the six oclock news for a week or more.
    Born American by Luck, Born Southern by the Grace of God !
    Scott Aspect 940 29er, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P