Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ride amongst the barbarians as well. Several years ago we were moving some garden implements across town. It was amazing how much more space motorists gave my wife and I when we had shovels, hoes and rakes in our left hands.

I actually think what was happening is that there is so much to pay attention to while driving that most people just focus on those things that pose a threat to them like other motor vehicles. The rakes and such just elevated us to the level of threat and the motorists behaved accordingly.

My Bikes
    A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There use to be a guy riding around town who had a small red flag on a pole sticking out like that.

The rake guy says it works, but it must be awkward to ride around with that sticking out, and it's unsightly.
    Someone should invent a laser that would shoot out and burn the car if it got too close, or a hologram kind of thing that would light up and flash a message, like "3 feet is the law you inconsiderate twit"
    "I bet German has a word for it. German has a word for everything."

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chicago commuters keep a U-lock handy.
    When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    I like the spring loaded flag idea but I would be tempted to weld a carbide saw tooth to the end of it.
    I don't generally have much problem with getting buzzed, but if I did, I'd sure be thinking in those terms!

I like the idea of a carbide tip. A 1/8" carbon fiber kite spar would have less air resistance, be fairly stiff but would give when hit. Be sure to put a small red flag on it; then when the car hits it there's no "I didn't see it" excuse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what would happen if that rake hooked onto a body seam of a passing (obviously too close) car or truck? Maybe hook onto a fender wheelwell? Think there's a possibility it might drag the cyclist down under the moving car? I think this guy gets one chance to find out. Two if he is damn lucky. YMMV.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12