Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ride amongst the barbarians as well. Several years ago we were moving some garden implements across town. It was amazing how much more space motorists gave my wife and I when we had shovels, hoes and rakes in our left hands.

I actually think what was happening is that there is so much to pay attention to while driving that most people just focus on those things that pose a threat to them like other motor vehicles. The rakes and such just elevated us to the level of threat and the motorists behaved accordingly.

My Bikes
    A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There use to be a guy riding around town who had a small red flag on a pole sticking out like that.

The rake guy says it works, but it must be awkward to ride around with that sticking out, and it's unsightly.
    Someone should invent a laser that would shoot out and burn the car if it got too close, or a hologram kind of thing that would light up and flash a message, like "3 feet is the law you inconsiderate twit"
    "I bet German has a word for it. German has a word for everything."

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chicago commuters keep a U-lock handy.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    I like the spring loaded flag idea but I would be tempted to weld a carbide saw tooth to the end of it.
    I don't generally have much problem with getting buzzed, but if I did, I'd sure be thinking in those terms!

I like the idea of a carbide tip. A 1/8" carbon fiber kite spar would have less air resistance, be fairly stiff but would give when hit. Be sure to put a small red flag on it; then when the car hits it there's no "I didn't see it" excuse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what would happen if that rake hooked onto a body seam of a passing (obviously too close) car or truck? Maybe hook onto a fender wheelwell? Think there's a possibility it might drag the cyclist down under the moving car? I think this guy gets one chance to find out. Two if he is damn lucky. YMMV.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12