User Tag List

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Hit and Run

A friend/teammate of mine was hit by a car while riding this morning, and the driver didn't stick around. My friend has a badly broken wrist that will require surgery, but is otherwise in remarkably good shape. Pretty short on details so far, but it really sucks that this is happening so frequently of late.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    1976 SuperCycle Excalibur,1980 Raleigh Record, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2010 Giant Cypress, 2012 Giant Halfway Folder
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry to hear about your friend and a fellow cyclist. Just today my wife had the pins pulled out of her wrist after 7 weeks. Hers was broken while riding with our granddaughers.

A few years ago one of the fellows I worked with lost his daughter to a hit and run. She was hit by a truck mirror while riding and knocked to the ditch. The driver fled and she died slowly by the side of the road. A 911 call may have saved her life. The community provided enough info that the driver was caught., but we never heard the sentence.

Give my best wishes to your friend.
    We are what we reflect. We are the changes that we bring to this world. Ride often. -Geo.-

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That kind of behavior really sucks. I hope your friend heal quickly and with minimal pain.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your team mate. It stinks that a person would injure someone and then flee. Incredibly selfish act! I work in insurance and the FALL is always a time when there is an increase in Pedestrian and Bike claims. Days are getting shorter, shadows, distractions with family and holidays, more traffic with added shopping all go into the problem.

But when someone leaves the scene, i al usually doubly suspicious of substances.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone please remind me that "caning" is not an appropriate punishment.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read the local newspaper website every day. Nearly always there is either a hit-and-run or a crash with serious injury/fatality (in an area with less than one-third of a million people). When the driver is identified in these incidents, most of the time he/she is unlicensed/suspended. I suspect that the hit-and-run incidents generally involve these same drunk, unlicensed motorists and they are fleeing the scene of their CARnage in order to avoid jail time.

There's got to be a better way to deal with people who are too narcissistic to obey the law. Obviously, suspending licenses does not work, they just keep driving. Perhaps we need a "cannot own a motor vehicle" list like the "do not fly" list wherein scofflaw motorists lose their right to own a car and no one is allowed to sell or loan them a motor vehicle. Maybe we can sweeten the pot a bit and put a GPS ankle band on them that tracks their location/speed and also not allow them to even be a passenger in a motor vehicle for some time period.

Or maybe we should just exile all scofflaw motorists to Somalia, where everyone else has a similar respect for living under the rule of law.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm installing my goPro on my bike tomorrow.

My Bikes
    Giant CRX3, Trek 7100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    I read the local newspaper website every day. Nearly always there is either a hit-and-run or a crash with serious injury/fatality (in an area with less than one-third of a million people). When the driver is identified in these incidents, most of the time he/she is unlicensed/suspended. I suspect that the hit-and-run incidents generally involve these same drunk, unlicensed motorists and they are fleeing the scene of their CARnage in order to avoid jail time.

There's got to be a better way to deal with people who are too narcissistic to obey the law. Obviously, suspending licenses does not work, they just keep driving. Perhaps we need a "cannot own a motor vehicle" list like the "do not fly" list wherein scofflaw motorists lose their right to own a car and no one is allowed to sell or loan them a motor vehicle. Maybe we can sweeten the pot a bit and put a GPS ankle band on them that tracks their location/speed and also not allow them to even be a passenger in a motor vehicle for some time period.

Or maybe we should just exile all scofflaw motorists to Somalia, where everyone else has a similar respect for living under the rule of law.
    Caning does seem appealing in these cases...... but it has to be applied with equality (no exemptions for females or businessmen, doctors, etc.).

My Bikes
    Bacchetta CA2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scottsdale-area?
    Cheers, Gerry
    gerryelam.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post

Work camp, Central Valley, California, summer time. Don't work hard enough and you just eat gruel.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
    Scottsdale-area?
    Not sure yet. He lives more Central, but a lot of the riding is out in Scottsdale.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life is too cheap. People should get an attitude test before they can drive.

My Bikes
    3 rideable, 6 in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that it will be any consolation, but even TDF winners get hit,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...hospital-crash

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your friend ATR, I pray he will be okay and have full function of the wrist after it heals. Keep us up to date on how they fare and if they catch the scum that did this.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    Not that it will be any consolation, but even TDF winners get hit,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...hospital-crash
    Don't know if you read the "Extra on the page but----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...sed?intcmp=239

I have an attitude on the bike and that is "Everyone is out to get me". Kept me out of accidents so far but by being alert I had a few near misses that were near misses and nothing more.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your riding friend. I hope he doesn't have any lingering effects afterwards.

I'm headed your way Sunday. Will be at the Az Biltmore until Thursday. Bringing the golf clubs but leaving the bike at home. If I'd realized the el Tour was next Saturday I'd just plan to stay on through the weekend.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Colnago C40 HP, De Rosa-Primato, Titus Ti FCR, Pogliaghi Pista,Giant MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about your friend, hope they completely recover. I've been doing a lot of riding in Paradise Valley, very little road traffic and plenty of bike lanes and residential streets. I always get nervous in areas with more traffic.
    Colnago C40 HP|Campy Record
    De Rosa Primato|Campy Record
    Titus Ti FCR|Campy Record
    Pogliaghi Pista|Campy Record
    Giant ATX 980|Shimano XT

LIVE LONG | RIDE HARD