Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 11-07-12, 02:58 PM   #1
AzTallRider 
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another Hit and Run

A friend/teammate of mine was hit by a car while riding this morning, and the driver didn't stick around. My friend has a badly broken wrist that will require surgery, but is otherwise in remarkably good shape. Pretty short on details so far, but it really sucks that this is happening so frequently of late.
Old 11-07-12, 03:23 PM   #2
browngw 
Adventure Rider

Bikes: 1958 Sun Cresta, 1971 Robin Hood Sports, 1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 1979 Raleigh DL1 Tourist, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2016 Giant ATX27.5, 2012 Giant Halfway Folder, and others
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
So sorry to hear about your friend and a fellow cyclist. Just today my wife had the pins pulled out of her wrist after 7 weeks. Hers was broken while riding with our granddaughers.

A few years ago one of the fellows I worked with lost his daughter to a hit and run. She was hit by a truck mirror while riding and knocked to the ditch. The driver fled and she died slowly by the side of the road. A 911 call may have saved her life. The community provided enough info that the driver was caught., but we never heard the sentence.

Give my best wishes to your friend.
Old 11-07-12, 04:49 PM   #3
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
That kind of behavior really sucks. I hope your friend heal quickly and with minimal pain.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-12, 04:56 PM   #4
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about your team mate. It stinks that a person would injure someone and then flee. Incredibly selfish act! I work in insurance and the FALL is always a time when there is an increase in Pedestrian and Bike claims. Days are getting shorter, shadows, distractions with family and holidays, more traffic with added shopping all go into the problem.

But when someone leaves the scene, i al usually doubly suspicious of substances.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Daspydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-12, 04:57 PM   #5
Dchiefransom

Bikes:
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Someone please remind me that "caning" is not an appropriate punishment.
Old 11-07-12, 05:38 PM   #6
B. Carfree

Bikes:
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
I read the local newspaper website every day. Nearly always there is either a hit-and-run or a crash with serious injury/fatality (in an area with less than one-third of a million people). When the driver is identified in these incidents, most of the time he/she is unlicensed/suspended. I suspect that the hit-and-run incidents generally involve these same drunk, unlicensed motorists and they are fleeing the scene of their CARnage in order to avoid jail time.

There's got to be a better way to deal with people who are too narcissistic to obey the law. Obviously, suspending licenses does not work, they just keep driving. Perhaps we need a "cannot own a motor vehicle" list like the "do not fly" list wherein scofflaw motorists lose their right to own a car and no one is allowed to sell or loan them a motor vehicle. Maybe we can sweeten the pot a bit and put a GPS ankle band on them that tracks their location/speed and also not allow them to even be a passenger in a motor vehicle for some time period.

Or maybe we should just exile all scofflaw motorists to Somalia, where everyone else has a similar respect for living under the rule of law.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-12, 08:05 PM   #7
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm installing my goPro on my bike tomorrow.
Old 11-07-12, 09:41 PM   #8
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
I read the local newspaper website every day. Nearly always there is either a hit-and-run or a crash with serious injury/fatality (in an area with less than one-third of a million people). When the driver is identified in these incidents, most of the time he/she is unlicensed/suspended. I suspect that the hit-and-run incidents generally involve these same drunk, unlicensed motorists and they are fleeing the scene of their CARnage in order to avoid jail time.

There's got to be a better way to deal with people who are too narcissistic to obey the law. Obviously, suspending licenses does not work, they just keep driving. Perhaps we need a "cannot own a motor vehicle" list like the "do not fly" list wherein scofflaw motorists lose their right to own a car and no one is allowed to sell or loan them a motor vehicle. Maybe we can sweeten the pot a bit and put a GPS ankle band on them that tracks their location/speed and also not allow them to even be a passenger in a motor vehicle for some time period.

Or maybe we should just exile all scofflaw motorists to Somalia, where everyone else has a similar respect for living under the rule of law.
Caning does seem appealing in these cases...... but it has to be applied with equality (no exemptions for females or businessmen, doctors, etc.).
009jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-12, 09:45 PM   #9
k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0
Scottsdale-area?
k7baixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-12, 09:51 PM   #10
Dchiefransom

Bikes:
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post

Work camp, Central Valley, California, summer time. Don't work hard enough and you just eat gruel.
Old 11-07-12, 10:57 PM   #11
AzTallRider 
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Scottsdale-area?
Not sure yet. He lives more Central, but a lot of the riding is out in Scottsdale.
Old 11-07-12, 11:04 PM   #12
big john

Bikes:
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Life is too cheap. People should get an attitude test before they can drive.
big john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 02:39 AM   #13
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: 3 rideable (Genesis, Dawes & Merlin, 2 in pieces (Orange & Dawes)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Not that it will be any consolation, but even TDF winners get hit,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...hospital-crash
Gerryattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 06:25 AM   #14
qcpmsame 
Cycling Saved My Life

Bikes: '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra, '78 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about your friend ATR, I pray he will be okay and have full function of the wrist after it heals. Keep us up to date on how they fare and if they catch the scum that did this.

Bill
I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me. Philippians 4:13

"I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, I do choose not to allow it to control my life." Davis Phinney

Semper Fi, USMC, November 10, 1775, Tun Tavern, Philadelphia, PA.

qcpmsame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 11:50 AM   #15
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
Not that it will be any consolation, but even TDF winners get hit,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...hospital-crash
Don't know if you read the "Extra on the page but----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...sed?intcmp=239

I have an attitude on the bike and that is "Everyone is out to get me". Kept me out of accidents so far but by being alert I had a few near misses that were near misses and nothing more.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 07:27 PM   #16
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about your riding friend. I hope he doesn't have any lingering effects afterwards.

I'm headed your way Sunday. Will be at the Az Biltmore until Thursday. Bringing the golf clubs but leaving the bike at home. If I'd realized the el Tour was next Saturday I'd just plan to stay on through the weekend.
Old 11-09-12, 03:44 PM   #17
cbresciani 

Bikes: Colnago C40 HP, De Rosa-Primato, Titus Ti FCR, MOOTS YBB-SL, Pogliaghi Pista
Sorry about your friend, hope they completely recover. I've been doing a lot of riding in Paradise Valley, very little road traffic and plenty of bike lanes and residential streets. I always get nervous in areas with more traffic.
Pogliaghi Pista|Campy Record
MOOTS YBB SL

LIVE LONG | RIDE HARD
cbresciani is offline   Reply With Quote