Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 11-07-12, 11:03 PM   #1
MinnMan

Bikes: 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I'm tired, I should slow down.

Does it ever happen during a ride that you think, "I'm tired, I should slow down.", but you don't slow down, you keep on churning. And several times later in the ride you think, "I'm tired, I should slow down", but again you don't?

Afterwards, it's a great feeling, but during the ride, it's a little crazy. I didn't have any particular goals tonight. It wouldn't have been such a bad thing to ease off. But somehow I couldn't.
MinnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 12:09 AM   #2
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not really, but I've often gone out when I really didn't feel like. Most of the time, I changed my mind after I got going.
Old 11-08-12, 06:36 AM   #3
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Same here MinnMan, it happens to me sometimes, usually about 10 minutes in and I seem to just ride through the feeling, even though I want to slow up. No explanation for this, I guess it is much the same as when I ran a lot and had to get through the initial winded feeling and catch my second wind as my old high school X-country coach would say.

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 06:47 AM   #4
eja_ bottecchia

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Same here MinnMan, it happens to me sometimes, usually about 10 minutes in and I seem to just ride through the feeling, even though I want to slow up. No explanation for this, I guess it is much the same as when I ran a lot and had to get through the initial winded feeling and catch my second wind as my old high school X-country coach would say.

Bill
This!
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 06:58 AM   #5
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
If I'm on a ride and start to feel tired I eat and drink and, if necessary, gear down and spin a bit more. "Churning" is never a good thing for me.

One of the more valuable things I've learned is what the physical signs mean. So, now when I start to feel weak and slow I know it's about food and drink.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 08:51 AM   #6
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
There is a difference between "I don't have it today, I'm phoning it in" and "I feel bad for the first third of the ride but now that I'm warmed up it feels great". I'm always amazed how often the first morphs into the second.
Old 11-08-12, 08:54 AM   #7
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Depends which group you're with. Solo riding is different, completely different.

Try saying that in a group ride. You won't unless you're in group A and should be in group B.
Garfield Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 09:10 AM   #8
MinnMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
Depends which group you're with. Solo riding is different, completely different.

Try saying that in a group ride. You won't unless you're in group A and should be in group B.
This is something that happens solo. On a group ride, the dynamics are entirely different. On a solo ride, the pace is determined by my energy, strength, and motivation. Or not. Sometimes the will to go fast comes from a place I don't understand - I don't have either the energy or the motivation, but somehow I'm compelled to hammer anyway.

It's not about nutrition or warming up or any of those things. As was the case yesterday, it may happen say 20 miles into a 30 mile ride. i've been hammering, just because, and I'm thinking that maybe I should slow down because it's getting harder to keep up the pace and there's no reason to push so hard, but I push anyway.
Old 11-08-12, 09:14 AM   #9
Terex

Bikes:
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Um, nope. My brain doesn't work like that. Has always seemed to work well optimizing training/recovery and avoidance of injury. Mostly.
Terex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 09:26 AM   #10
buykguy

Bikes:
Sometimes our legs seem to have minds of their own. Those are the days you actually experience breakthroughs in your training. Keep hammering, eventually the mind will follow!!
buykguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 09:46 AM   #11
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
This is something that happens solo. On a group ride, the dynamics are entirely different. On a solo ride, the pace is determined by my energy, strength, and motivation. Or not. Sometimes the will to go fast comes from a place I don't understand - I don't have either the energy or the motivation, but somehow I'm compelled to hammer anyway.

It's not about nutrition or warming up or any of those things. As was the case yesterday, it may happen say 20 miles into a 30 mile ride. i've been hammering, just because, and I'm thinking that maybe I should slow down because it's getting harder to keep up the pace and there's no reason to push so hard, but I push anyway.
So you're saying that sometimes you inflict needless pain and suffering on yourself for no discernible reason?

I thought that's what cycling was about.
Old 11-08-12, 04:02 PM   #12
MinnMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
So you're saying that sometimes you inflict needless pain and suffering on yourself for no discernible reason?

I thought that's what cycling was about.
That's a fair point.