User Tag List

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm tired, I should slow down.

Does it ever happen during a ride that you think, "I'm tired, I should slow down.", but you don't slow down, you keep on churning. And several times later in the ride you think, "I'm tired, I should slow down", but again you don't?

Afterwards, it's a great feeling, but during the ride, it's a little crazy. I didn't have any particular goals tonight. It wouldn't have been such a bad thing to ease off. But somehow I couldn't.

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really, but I've often gone out when I really didn't feel like. Most of the time, I changed my mind after I got going.
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here MinnMan, it happens to me sometimes, usually about 10 minutes in and I seem to just ride through the feeling, even though I want to slow up. No explanation for this, I guess it is much the same as when I ran a lot and had to get through the initial winded feeling and catch my second wind as my old high school X-country coach would say.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Same here MinnMan, it happens to me sometimes, usually about 10 minutes in and I seem to just ride through the feeling, even though I want to slow up. No explanation for this, I guess it is much the same as when I ran a lot and had to get through the initial winded feeling and catch my second wind as my old high school X-country coach would say.

Bill
    This!
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm on a ride and start to feel tired I eat and drink and, if necessary, gear down and spin a bit more. "Churning" is never a good thing for me.

One of the more valuable things I've learned is what the physical signs mean. So, now when I start to feel weak and slow I know it's about food and drink.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a difference between "I don't have it today, I'm phoning it in" and "I feel bad for the first third of the ride but now that I'm warmed up it feels great". I'm always amazed how often the first morphs into the second.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends which group you're with. Solo riding is different, completely different.

Try saying that in a group ride. You won't unless you're in group A and should be in group B.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
    Depends which group you're with. Solo riding is different, completely different.

Try saying that in a group ride. You won't unless you're in group A and should be in group B.
    This is something that happens solo. On a group ride, the dynamics are entirely different. On a solo ride, the pace is determined by my energy, strength, and motivation. Or not. Sometimes the will to go fast comes from a place I don't understand - I don't have either the energy or the motivation, but somehow I'm compelled to hammer anyway.

It's not about nutrition or warming up or any of those things. As was the case yesterday, it may happen say 20 miles into a 30 mile ride. i've been hammering, just because, and I'm thinking that maybe I should slow down because it's getting harder to keep up the pace and there's no reason to push so hard, but I push anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, nope. My brain doesn't work like that. Has always seemed to work well optimizing training/recovery and avoidance of injury. Mostly.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes our legs seem to have minds of their own. Those are the days you actually experience breakthroughs in your training. Keep hammering, eventually the mind will follow!!

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
    This is something that happens solo. On a group ride, the dynamics are entirely different. On a solo ride, the pace is determined by my energy, strength, and motivation. Or not. Sometimes the will to go fast comes from a place I don't understand - I don't have either the energy or the motivation, but somehow I'm compelled to hammer anyway.

It's not about nutrition or warming up or any of those things. As was the case yesterday, it may happen say 20 miles into a 30 mile ride. i've been hammering, just because, and I'm thinking that maybe I should slow down because it's getting harder to keep up the pace and there's no reason to push so hard, but I push anyway.
    So you're saying that sometimes you inflict needless pain and suffering on yourself for no discernible reason?

I thought that's what cycling was about.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    So you're saying that sometimes you inflict needless pain and suffering on yourself for no discernible reason?

I thought that's what cycling was about.
    That's a fair point.