User Tag List

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding with a low HR and liking it

Had some outpatient surgery on Monday that involved getting stitches. Instructions indicated no exercise or elevated HR for one week. I managed to construe a 12 mph average ride as not constituting exercise. Actually, I kind of enjoyed it, but it seems to take a long time to get any place! Just rode 15 miles or so (total) to get a cup of coffee. I didn't wear my HR monitor, but I'd be shocked if the HR got over 90 with a resting HR in the mid-40's. I'm confident I could pass a polygraph if the tested asked me "Did you exercise on Thursday, 8 November 2012?". I could truthfully answer, "No"

Interestingly, someone in one the clubs to which I belong had a similar procedure and needed a small skin graft. Doc said no cycling the 6 weeks I feel like I dodged a bullet.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes go out with the intention of having an easy ride and not get the hr up to even working level but not long before the breathing gets heavy and the legs get that warm feeling in them that means they are working. So why is it that when I do go out for a workout I feel as though I have taken on too much and I need more training before the next hard ride?

But with our hills- a 12mph ride would mean that I have not pushed on the downhills.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I sometimes go out with the intention of having an easy ride and not get the hr up to even working level but not long before the breathing gets heavy and the legs get that warm feeling in them that means they are working. So why is it that when I do go out for a workout I feel as though I have taken on too much and I need more training before the next hard ride?

But with our hills- a 12mph ride would mean that I have not pushed on the downhills.
    I certainly missed the feeling of exertion, but the prospect of going back to the doc to have some stitches redone kept me in check. Most of our real rides have 30-50'/mi, but since we live in a valley anything that stays in town is relatively flat. I mowed the lawn this afternoon and probably got my HR higher doing that than during the ride even with a self-powered lawn mower.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture