Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally: A ride report with pictures

I finished my last shift on the morning of October 27th, it was cold and raining. I managed to commute to work for our farewell get together on the 31st., I didn't get wet but the weather was not very good.

I'm due to start work on my new job on Monday the 12th. The rain finally stopped and the sun came out yesterday, and we cleaned up our leaves. Today was sunny and I finally got in a recreational ride. Not bad, 13 days into my retirement and I finally get a ride in!!

O.K., that's enough bellyaching for now.

Like I said, the sun was shining today and I hit the road. It's actually been a couple of months since I've done much riding so I went kinda slow and easy. The wind was howling in off of Lake Ontario which also helped me to maintain the slowness of my pace! The trails have been cleared of the major limbs and trees that were felled by Sandy, but it was still difficult to actually see the trails due to the downed leaves....

Did I mention that the sun was shining?

Here's a picture of the Genesee River about a mile upstream of its mouth at Lake Ontario. Those waves are traveling from north to south...UPSTREAM!! Yep, it's windy!!

Here's is what's left of the old Hojack Line Swing Bridge. It's one of two remaining swing bridges manufactured by Cook Iron of Cleveland, well it was one of two as it's being torn down now.

The pilot house is almost completely dismantled...

Oh well, change is inevitable I guess. Just take a look at these two photos of the same property taken about 100 years apart from each other. Um, I took the later picture and pilfered the earlier one from a book....

We do take steps to save some things from the past though as you can see here. These sandbags helped protect our precious carousal from the ravages of Sandy last week.

All together I only rode 17.56 miles. It took me a couple of hours and by the time I got home the temperature had soared all the way up to 38 degrees F. There'll be more rides and hopefully better reports in the future. Today it was just such a relief to finally drag one of my bikes out of the garage and go for a ride, and I wanted to share the experience.
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 11-08-12 at 02:01 PM.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go Lenny. Enjoy !
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully the first of many more to come.

How's the spare time coming on--Or has the wife booked it with jobs around the house?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice bike, too.

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that the 'bent diminishes the wind punishment slightly - good that you took advantage of the sun in spite of the wind!

Here on the Connecticut coast, my city managed to remove all the horses and the music machine from our carousel before Sandy hit. They also moved Jersey barriers to break the waves. Sand everywhere, and water entered the building, but it doesn't look like any damage to our carousel, I think. My house also dodged the bullet for the second year running, thanks to the offshore winds.

Wow, that's a huge span for a swing bridge! Sorry, I've been without internet or computer for some time - Will you be working a day job now?