Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St Louis & Puducah

I just returned from two days in Puducah, KY and four days in St. Louis. I was quite surprised to see very few cyclists out and about. In Puducah I saw two men (each would likely have been old enough to join this forum) riding single speeds with coaster brakes. And I saw one guy in full kit. In St. Louis (downtown section only), I saw a grand total of seven commuters over a four day period. All were men. So, is what I saw typical? It really did surprise me; especially given it was in the upper 60s and even reached 70 degrees on one of the days.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be visiting St. Louis and much of Missouri and southern Illinois on a monthly basis in 2013. I'm considering bringing my bike and exploring. I hope to find some bike-friendly riding.

I'm going to try to base myself in St. Charles, MO. St Charles is a very old river town on the Missouri River just west of St. Louis.

I'm hoping to ride the Katy Trail next year and will branch out to roads after some trail riding.
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-09-12 at 08:49 AM.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    I'll be visiting St. Louis and much of Missouri and southern Illinois on a monthly basis in 2013. I'm considering bringing my bike and exploring. I hope to find some bike-friendly riding.

I'm going to try to base myself in St. Charles, MO. St Charles is a very old river town on the Missouri River just west of St. Louis.

I'm hoping to ride the Katy Trail next year and will branch out to roads after some trail riding.
    Post when you come. I live in St Peters which is the next saint west of Charles.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm from St. Louis, even though I haven't lived there in 17 years now, but back in the day there were a lot of cyclists in the St. Louis area yet relatively few downtown. I used to work on 2nd street and I would commute down Pestalozi Street Mon.-Fri. and would see a few other commuters almost every day.

The county is much more cycling friendly, I used to ride (from Forest Park area) out Clayton Road to Conway, then Chesterfield Airport Road to Wildhorse Creek to Ossenfort to Hwy T to old Hwy 100 into Washington, MO. I remember a nice little town called St. Albans out there on Hwy T somewhere. Labadie too. Great cycling out on Hwy T (if you like short steep climbs!).

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not unusual to see a lot more cyclists outside the urban center than inside it. The density of motorists can be a real disincentive for many people to ride, so they ride where they live rather than where they work.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    It's not unusual to see a lot more cyclists outside the urban center than inside it. The density of motorists can be a real disincentive for many people to ride, so they ride where they live rather than where they work.
    That was another one of the strange things. Compared to Philadelphia (I know about five times larger), or even Pittsburgh (about the same size) there were very few automobiles and, as noted, even fewer cyclists.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Post when you come. I live in St Peters which is the next saint west of Charles.
    Thanks, I will!
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Kona Jake, Centurion LeMans RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post

You will find a pretty sizeable and active bike community in this area. I'll second RG's invitation to drop a line when you are in the area. I am currently working to help expand a riding group, concentrating on getting riders of all abilities to get together for training and up to four fundraisers during the coming year. The group focus in the past has been the Missouri MS ride, and has grown out of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paducah
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."