Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Birthday ride planned for Sunday (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/856876-birthday-ride-planned-sunday.html)

Dan Burkhart 11-09-12 09:03 AM

Birthday ride planned for Sunday

Looks like the weather will co operate for my ride to commemorate my 59th birthday on Sunday. The plan is to ride from home, around the western end of Lake Ontario to Niagara on the Lake. Works out to just a shade over 59 miles, so it's perfect.
My wife has taken Monday off, so she will join me there to spend the night at a nice B&B.
The original plan was for her to haul her bike down and we would go for a ride on Monday. The weather forecast does not look too promising for that right now, but hopefully that might change.
It will be the longest ride I've done for a couple of years, so here's hoping I don't bonk.
I was going to wait til after successful completion to post, but I figured announcing my plans beforehand will give me incentive to finish.
Really looking forward to it. Now, which bike to take?:commute::recum:

Barrettscv 11-09-12 09:51 AM

Sounds like a nice way to spend a birthday.

David Bierbaum 11-09-12 10:13 AM

Somebody is riding for their birthday pie! Happy "Only One Day Older Than Yesterday" Day!

gif4445 11-09-12 10:22 AM

Happy Birthday and good luck with your 59 miles! I just celebrated my 55th last week and did a 55 miler in the middle of the day. Followed that up with playing a couple pick-up basketball games with some high school kids I'm helping coach this year. Great birthday, but I'm hoping there is never a glitch in the manufacturing of Advil!

mprelaw 11-09-12 10:33 AM

Good luck. You'll finish. Don't be afraid to take a break if need be. 2-3 minutes off the bike can really recharge you.

Why not add 3 more miles and make it an official metric? You still get credit for doing your age in miles on your birthday. ;) :thumb:

Dan Burkhart 11-09-12 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by mprelaw (Post 14931333)
Good luck. You'll finish. Don't be afraid to take a break if need be. 2-3 minutes off the bike can really recharge you.

Why not add 3 more miles and make it an official metric? You still get credit for doing your age in miles on your birthday. ;) :thumb:

Oh, I think I will probably cross the metric threshold anyway as the waterfront trail takes a couple of zigs and zags along the way.

cranky old dude 11-09-12 11:20 AM

I vote for the recumbent and you can just lay back and enjoy the ride. Arrive at the B&B relaxed and comfy.

I'd ride in honor of your big day but, my daughter from L.A. will be in town over the weekend.....haven't seen her since February.

Enjoy your ride!! :recum:

Oh yeh...:bday:

Dan Burkhart 11-09-12 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by cranky old dude (Post 14931541)
I vote for the recumbent and you can just lay back and enjoy the ride. Arrive at the B&B relaxed and comfy.

I'd ride in honor of your big day but, my daughter from L.A. will be in town over the weekend.....haven't seen her since February.

Enjoy your ride!! :recum:

Oh yeh...:bday:

Well, I'm leaning toward not using the recumbent for a couple of reasons. I suffered a pulled muscle in my left calf muscle this summer,and while it feels good now, I find the bent taxes the calf muscles more than my uprights do, so I don't know if I want to risk going that far on it yet.
I've done some 100 mile days on that bike, but that was quite a bunch of years ago.
And, thanks for the birthday wishes,

Timtruro 11-09-12 04:08 PM

Just relax and enjoy your ride. You will be fine, and when your wife joins you have a relaxing dinner and birthday pie. I have been trying to pick a good day for mine and now I may have waited too long. Have been ill and now have a whopper of a sinus infection. There is still time if the weather cooperates. Anyway, goof luck and enjoy!

eja_ bottecchia 11-09-12 04:14 PM

So, will you be riding 95 miles on your 95th birthday? :)

Here is hoping for a great weekend for you and the Missus.

Dan Burkhart 11-09-12 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia (Post 14932692)
So, will you be riding 95 miles on your 95th birthday? :)

Here is hoping for a great weekend for you and the Missus.

Well, that's the plan for now. Stay tuned for an update in 2048.

bjjoondo 11-09-12 05:54 PM

Have FUN and ENJOY, sounds like a good ride and nice outing for you and the Mrs.! :)

RubberLegs 11-09-12 06:54 PM

Hope the weather co-operates and you get your ride in. Did a 50 on my 50th this year...Grand Tradition....my wife says I'm NUTS! Well, it WAS the first 50 I had done in several decades, but I had been doing 25, 30, and 35 mile rides....so 50 was just a bit more (except fot the broken spoke at mile 23 adding some stress to the ride)

yamura 11-09-12 07:22 PM

Congratulations on your birthday this Sunday. Mine is too but I turn 60. I intend to celebrate by riding half a metric century!

Dan Burkhart 11-09-12 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by yamura (Post 14933234)
Congratulations on your birthday this Sunday. Mine is too but I turn 60. I intend to celebrate by riding half a metric century!

Well, happy birthday. Guess we missed being twins by a year. 60 is coming soon enough.

qcpmsame 11-10-12 11:19 AM

Dan,
Sounds like a wonderful birthday weekend for you, and the missus, I'll bet the riding will be really comfortable, if chilly, but I am sure you are 100% prepared for that. I'll be thinking of your birthday, Sunday, while riding and wish you a very happy one.

Bill

Dan Burkhart 11-10-12 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 14934672)
Dan,
Sounds like a wonderful birthday weekend for you, and the missus, I'll bet the riding will be really comfortable, if chilly, but I am sure you are 100% prepared for that. I'll be thinking of your birthday, Sunday, while riding and wish you a very happy one.

Bill

Thanks Bill. And thanks to all the others. Weather forecast is for low 60s in the afternoon, so I think I'll be wearing shorts.

billydonn 11-10-12 06:52 PM

Have a great ride Dan. It's supposed to drop into the 30s F with very big wind here Sunday. Sigh. Happy Bday!

Dan Burkhart 11-10-12 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by billydonn (Post 14935594)
Have a great ride Dan. It's supposed to drop into the 30s F with very big wind here Sunday. Sigh. Happy Bday!

Thanks. Weather forecast still looking good here. 50 in the morning, 60 in the afternoon, sunny with variable cloudiness.
Had a good carb loading supper, my famous spaghetti, ( well, famous at our house anyway :D), so looks like it's all systems go. :thumb:

big john 11-10-12 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Barrettscv (Post 14931146)
Sounds like a nice way to spend a birthday.

+1. Some pictures would be nice.

twentysomething 11-11-12 08:26 AM

Happy birthday Dan!
Have a great day and an enjoyable ride.
I will go out today and ride in honor of your birthday.
(can we really be in our 50's???)

doctor j 11-11-12 06:21 PM

Happy birthday, Dan!

How was the ride?

Barrettscv 11-11-12 06:59 PM

Happy Birthday. Was it windy?

Bikey Mikey 11-11-12 07:09 PM

Have a good one, birthday and ride.

Dan Burkhart 11-12-12 03:04 PM

It was a great ride followed by a terrific evening.

Thank you everyone. I was incommunicado until now, but the ride went great. The temperature was perfect. it was windy, but on balance, the wind was more help than hindrance.
First stop, 17 km mark. Still in Oakville very close to the Burlington boundary. If you look close through the mist, you can see a lake freighter tied up at the pier.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2hx8yug.jpg

One passes a lot of mean hovels traveling down the north shore of Lake Ontario.

http://i45.tinypic.com/swv7md.jpg

I was about an hour early for Remembrance Day services at this memorial.

http://i45.tinypic.com/17y0j6.jpg

View of the Burlington Bay Skyway from below.

http://i45.tinypic.com/35i89oy.jpg