Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fed up with traffic jams?---Don't get another bike

Think we all know that Amsterdam is the Nirvana for cyclists. Well they are causing a few problems as you can see from the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20277668

Hope you can get it as on my pC it also shows a few "Extra" stories-bike related- at the end.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to have this problem here.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't get the page but having been in Amsterdam about a year ago I can tell you there's some resentment of cyclists. There's a feeling that cyclists have "all the rights" and motorists feel disadvantaged. That's OK with me.

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started this thread in the Living Car Free forum:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...kes-in-Holland

As I say in that thread, I have been there twice in the past 10 years (the last time about three months ago) and things have deteriorated over that time. It's become a mess in central Amsterdam.

The attitudes of aggressive driving (including road rage) have been translated into cycling. Mixed with large numbers of pedestrians and the lack of off-road parking has meant Amsterdam is not a particularly nice city to be in.

Utrecht is less affected, and the further you get out into the Netherlands countryside, the better it becomes.

I might add that it's not just the motorists who feel disempowered. It's the ordinary pedestrian who is being driven from the footpaths by fast, scofflaw riders. You really don't want to step out of a shop door without your wits about you because you can easily be mown down by a rider.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over three decades ago I moved to the "Bike Capital of the World", Davis, CA. At that time, we created a culture in which over 80% of all trips were made by bicycle. The most effective thing that was done to create this was to convince the local police departments to adopt a zero-tolerance policy towards traffic violations (including cyclists). The minimal amount of cycle-specific infrastructure that was put in place did not have much of an impact. (By the way, the police departments changed their priorities in the mid-'80s with a predictable outcome: the bikes all but disappeared.)

The Netherlands has chosen a different approach that I think will limit its success to not much better than it currently enjoys. By segregating cyclists onto side-paths, it cannot accommodate any further increases in bike usage without vastly increased congestion, which will increase the attractiveness of the automobile. They will either have to reallocate their space to allow for more cyclists, accept that segregation has limited their top-end for bike use or reconsider the entire notion of segregation.