User Tag List

My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trainers - Travel Trac OK? Bike Accident Has Me Off the Bars

I posted this in the road bike forum and i think it might be good to post here, too, since I'm pushing 65.

Living in Los Angeles, I've never had need of a trainer. However, I won't be able to put any pressure on my wrist for a few months (it was operated on a couple of days ago).

I see lots of choices. I can justify a couple hundred dollars. A Performance Bike shop is reasonably close and their Travel Trac fluid trainers look like they would work well enough. Good choice or is there something better for a broken wrist?
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking this might be an excellent opportunity for some cross-training. Hiking? Running? Leg training in the weight room?

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar with the Travel Trac trainers, but if you only need it for a few months, I don't see why it shouldn't work for you. Living in Florida also gives us pretty much a year round riding season, so when I got my mag trainer (two years ago), I opted to get a middle of the road trainer rather than an expensive one. It's been working well for me and my needs. Gook luck with your wrist and I hope it heals quick. I certainly know how it feels to be off the bike with an injury since this has been my year for injuries. I'm currently off the bike with tendinitis in the left knee. I can't even use the trainer.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No experience with a fluid or magnetic trainer, only rollers, so I'll just say John has good information. You might want to P.M. Billydonn if he does not reply shortly. He does indoor trainer sufferfests every winter and can let you know what works for him and his buddies. I will say I hope the surgery works for you and the wrist heals completely. I am glad you are on the road to getting some relief for it too. Hope the healing is complete with no loss of R.O.M or strength.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 63 if that is relevant and I own a Cycleops magnetic, Cyclops Fluid, Kurt Kinetic road machine and Kreitler Rollers wit the fork stand and belt driven wind fan. The magnetic trainer is lighter, cheaper and noisier than the fluid trainers. Of the trainers, I like the Kurt Kinetic the best because it is quite, the force remains constant, it has a fast connect but most importantly it has a big heavy flywheel. So once the Kurt Kinetic fly wheel is rotating, it provides enough moment of inertia to simulate what it feel like on the road. Also, without a large flywheel, putting in power from the pedals feels more pulsed and it is more tiring than the road. The magnetic trainer is the worst for not feeling like the road.

The Kreitler Rollers with the fan, fork stand and a heavy rear wheel, are the best. It feels like I am riding on the indoor wooded track at Velo Sports Center.

I like to ride the trainer and I think it is a great workout and allows long constant power efforts at high cadence which is great training and hard to do on the open road where I live.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein