Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Surly Crosscheck fixed-gear (2001 bean green model)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommend a indoor bike trainer?

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my left hip on Thursday, which was a shock, as I've always had the good luck to be healthy. I'm 55. I had thought I had a three-year-long chronic groin pull, but no, reality did not jibe with my illusion, according to the X-rays. I have OA in both hips, but the left hip has almost no cartilage left, and has two ugly bone cysts protruding from the socket.

Now I have to come to grips with losing about 20 pounds and staying active cardio-wise without causing further damage to my hip. As you can tell from my username, I ride a fixed-gear (and long before it was a hipster activity). But I had been commuting to work on it, a too-mild fifteen minute trip and quite dangerous, as I have to negotiate downtown Austin streets after 9 p.m. when I go home.

All this makes me think I ought to get one of those torture devices, an indoor trainer. Any suggestions? I haven't owned one in twenty years, so I know nothing about them. Maybe I should get a Concept 2 rower instead? I kind of enjoy that form of self-torture.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road Machine Fluid Trainer]Kinetic by Kurt. Can't miss. I haven't heard one bad word about them, and everyone I know who owns one (myself included) is pleased.
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pr...905&origin=pla
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

bpr
    My Bikes
    '11 All City Big Block, '92 Specialized StumpJumper, '06 Kona Smoke
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    Road Machine Fluid Trainer]Kinetic by Kurt. Can't miss. I haven't heard one bad word about them, and everyone I know who owns one (myself included) is pleased.
    +1

love mine

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, then. Thanks for the unanimous choice of AN indoor trainer.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.

--Voltaire

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine.
    If you want a little more excitement try a Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll.
    http://www.kurtkinetic.com/kinetic-video-i-80-l-en.html

My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if this will work for you given the OA but nothing teaches you to pedal fluidly like rollers. Supple pedaling takes pressure off all your joints and hopefully will give exercise without stress to your hips. Just a thought.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a older model Minoura Mag trainer with a remote control for the resistance settings and I really like it. Living in Florida, it isn't used very much as we tend to have pretty much year round cycling weather. I have heard a lot of good things about the Kurt trainers as well as the Cycleops fluid trainers but between the two, I would also go with the Kurt. They appear to be pretty sturdy and well built.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen Recumbent Trainers ..

then you can extend a computer keyboard support over your seat.

Exercise at the game console.. ( hard to keep at the trainer thing , bored stiff)
    Last edited by fietsbob; 11-11-12 at 09:50 AM.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    I have a older model Minoura Mag trainer with a remote control for the resistance settings and I really like it. Living in Florida, it isn't used very much as we tend to have pretty much year round cycling weather. I have heard a lot of good things about the Kurt trainers as well as the Cycleops fluid trainers but between the two, I would also go with the Kurt. They appear to be pretty sturdy and well built.
    I had a Cyclops, then I tried a Kurt. Bought the Kurt, sold the Cyclops. I like the Kurt.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using the CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer myself. It works pretty well, but I haven't tried any of the other home style trainers.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post

I'd like to hear reviews/comments from anyone who has tried the KK R&R.... it is tempting to try one. I did see a couple of videos online that suggest that it places a lot of stress on the rear axle but I don't necessarily buy that completely. Reviews anyone?

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No comment on the rower but for a trainer I would recommend the KK road machine. They're quiet, work well and have outstanding customer service. I wouldn't bother with the rock&roll version as it's primarily useful for harder out of the saddle efforts which I wouldn't recommend with your hips.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post

Found a thread on the RnR in the 41.... interesting.
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...n+Roll+trainer

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am among the brave few who bought and love a Tacx Fortius. Way Expensive, but way fun if you need to spend several months a year inside on the trainer. Its a virtual reality trainer and the only way I have ever been able to spend any more than 1 hour on the things. Indoor cycling is just boring.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    Don't know if this will work for you given the OA but nothing teaches you to pedal fluidly like rollers. Supple pedaling takes pressure off all your joints and hopefully will give exercise without stress to your hips. Just a thought.
    But how much resistance do rollers offer? I like the idea of rollers, since it's a skill you have to master and you need to maintain concentration or . . . indoor face plant.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.

--Voltaire

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    I am among the brave few who bought and love a Tacx Fortius. Way Expensive, but way fun if you need to spend several months a year inside on the trainer. Its a virtual reality trainer and the only way I have ever been able to spend any more than 1 hour on the things. Indoor cycling is just boring.
    Yup, horribly boring. Frankly, if I'm going to spend anything over $500, it's going to be a Concept2. I had one years ago and loved it. Lost it in the aftermath of a divorce.

--Voltaire

My Bikes
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, 1996 Specialized HardRock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like my KK Road Machine. If one can truly like a trainer.
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

bpr
    My Bikes
    '11 All City Big Block, '92 Specialized StumpJumper, '06 Kona Smoke
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indoor cycling can be boring but it beats indoor couching

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best winter training aid I ever found was following a compass at something close to 180 degrees. I hear the same trick works north of equator but some math is involved in making a course correction.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ausfix View Post
    But how much resistance do rollers offer? I like the idea of rollers, since it's a skill you have to master and you need to maintain concentration or . . . indoor face plant.
    It depends on the size of the drums. Smaller drums require more power to spin. I have the Kreitler 4.5 inch rollers with the fan attachment that is driven off the front roller. The intake of the fan is adjustable so I can vary how much power is required to drive the rollers. And I have the front fork attachment so that I can use them as a trainer. IMO, this is the best indoor training setup but arguably the most expensive.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    1983 Cannondale ST500, 1993 GT Outpost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post

Another vote for the KK Fluid trainer. I set mine up in the garage with an older steel frame bike that I'm not riding.

Word of advice: Trainers will wear your tires, so if you're planning to put a lot of mileage on, buy an inexpensive tire for that wheel.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Accuosti View Post
    Another vote for the KK Fluid trainer. I set mine up in the garage with an older steel frame bike that I'm not riding.

Word of advice: Trainers will wear your tires, so if you're planning to put a lot of mileage on, buy an inexpensive tire for that wheel.
    They actually make tires just for trainers--and specifically state that they must not be used for road use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ausfix View Post
    Yup, horribly boring. Frankly, if I'm going to spend anything over $500, it's going to be a Concept2. I had one years ago and loved it. Lost it in the aftermath of a divorce.
    If the Concept 2 works for your hips, and you like it, that may be best route. I recently bought a Keiser spin bike for home use, and if I get another device, it would be a Concept 2. The one that's built a little higher off the ground may help with your hip issues. Good luck!
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading this thread and, another one in a similar vein, yesterday, I went to eBay out of curiosity and found a pretty large bit of trainers there. Seems a lot of people "Think" they want a trainer and then is sits until they decide, or their wife decides, to sell it as it gathers dust. You might watch there if you don't have to have a new machine. Some are way overpriced with high reserves but there were a few good buys in the lot. Just a thought.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have had both a KK Rock and Roll trainer and the KK Road Machine Fluid Trainer. I sold the R&R trainer because it was just too much for me - way more than I needed. The likelihood of me spending much time out of the saddle is pretty limited, and that seemed to be the strength of the R&R. The Road Machine Fluid has been just great - I'll be setting mine up again this week for the winter. Check for these on sale - they are pretty reasonable and are pretty high quality.

Dean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast