Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Slow recovery from Achilles repair saga

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 11:36 AM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hi everyone - an update from my post of a few months ago -
My achilles was completely torn in June, and I had a repair July 16th. The tendon repair held, but I had to have two subsequent ops (one under general) to close the incision site. Even though I'm not diabetic and blood work looked normal, my thin old skin just doesn't heal well at that site. I've spent a huge chunk of time on my back with my leg elevated.
Although I was initially given permission to ride, that was before the first setback. Though I'm back at work now, I still have to take it easy, and am told that I may have swelling for up to a year in that leg. The last few cm of inscision is still a month or two away from being competent enough to allow me to exercise without tearing it yet again. My muscles are wasting and I can't do PT until the skin has healed. Pretty frustrating! I wish I was out there on the road worrying about slick leaves!
Old 11-11-12, 02:25 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I am so sorry about your slow recovery and needing more operations, etc.

My achilles tendon is coming along - I didn't tear it, and am using accupuncture and PT for quite a bit of relief.

Good luck with your recovery!!
Old 11-11-12, 02:35 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
My sympathies. I had a very similar injury when I was 49 and it took me 6 to 8 months before I was back to (almost) normal. My leg had wasted away and it took a long time to build up again.

But you will recover, with a bit of physio and a lot of patience.

One problem I had during the recovery was lack of confidence in my leg. I had the injury while playing squash and it took me nearly a year before I had the confidence to get back on the court, but once I did I soon got back into the swing of it.
Old 11-11-12, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those of us who have gone before with trauma that has caused lengthy down time sympathize and empathize. At the same time we can recommend two things: First, be crafty. Crafty in the sense of figuring out ways do what exercise you can, even if its' not biking. Second, the mind is as important as the body. Mental attitude is nearly everything.

Keep at it. You'll overcome.
Old 11-12-12, 06:56 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I'm glad to hear your surgery (#1) was successful in repairing the Achilles tendon. The post surgery complications can be the worst part of recovery. Please be careful, I am the proud owner of a permanent open wound on my abdomen from repeated surgeries (12) on my abdomen and MRSA infections, cleaning, packing and dressing a draining wound, 2-3 times a day is no fun at all. Watch that place that was reworked after the initial surgery for infection like a hawk and take care of your self. I hope the recovery and eventual return to riding go well for you, keep us updated, would you.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13