Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 11-11-12, 08:59 AM   #1
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Coach Troy and I are Working Out & Coach Troy is Winning!!

Sigh - 16F outside, everything is totally icy, as it rained then snowed a bit and then froze solid. So, out with the Spinervals. I also got to shovel the driveway, and the wife wants to swim, and I had to do therapy for my Achilles Tendon, and I did some resistance exercises. So, now off to the pool where the water temp is 78F for the lap pool - that is COLD for swimming. There is a therapy pool which is 88, but that is too hot. The coup de resistance is the hot tub at 104F.

BUT, son and daughter-in-law are going to celebrate my and my daughter-in-law's birthday for lunch at the best steak house in Denver. I guess I can handle that.

Life is tough when one is 73.

Anyone else on the trainer today?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-11-12 at 09:17 AM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 10:34 AM   #2
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Not on the rollers today. It's too nice here in eastern CT...sunny and low 60's so we are taking the cross bikes on a 32 mi. trail ride. Went out yesterday for about 20 miles and encountered about a dozen young people on horseback. They stopped to let us by and I was struck by the magnificence of those horses. Huge and just beautiful. What a great treat.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 10:46 AM   #3
Hermes 
Elite Rider

Bikes: Too Many
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I did 90 minutes z2 on Thursday.

Cat: Killer
Hermes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 10:55 AM   #4
revchuck

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
48.6 miles, most of them in the rain. You know the old saying - "If it ain't rainin', it ain't trainin'!'"
revchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 10:58 AM   #5
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Sigh - 16F outside, everything is totally icy, as it rained then snowed a bit and then froze solid. So, out with the Spinervals. I also got to shovel the driveway, and the wife wants to swim, and I had to do therapy for my Achilles Tendon, and I did some resistance exercises. So, now off to the pool where the water temp is 78F for the lap pool - that is COLD for swimming. There is a therapy pool which is 88, but that is too hot. The coup de resistance is the hot tub at 104F.

BUT, son and daughter-in-law are going to celebrate my and my daughter-in-law's birthday for lunch at the best steak house in Denver. I guess I can handle that.

We decided to swim at the rec center instead of 24 hr fitness - the water temp is about 84, which is a nice compromise, and it is closer, and I got a lane to myself, which I usually get at 24 hr, but not always at the rec center. No hot tub, though.
Old 11-11-12, 11:06 AM   #6
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by revchuck View Post
48.6 miles, most of them in the rain. You know the old saying - "If it ain't rainin', it ain't trainin'!'"
Should I put my trainer in my shower?
Old 11-11-12, 03:12 PM   #7
zacster

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Maybe you should go to Sufferlandria if you want a real workout. Makes coach Troy look like a wimp.
zacster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 05:14 PM   #8
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Very cold and mega-windy in Omaha today so no riding. Did some core and upper body work at the gym, after a 2.1 mile run/walk on the indoor track. I love riding more than anything but it's nice to have options and variety. I think it helps overall fitness and health too. A little weight bearing is a good thing if you can manage it.

It will be trainer time soon.
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 05:25 PM   #9
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
Maybe you should go to Sufferlandria if you want a real workout. Makes coach Troy look like a wimp.
Being wimpish is just fine with me.
Old 11-11-12, 05:33 PM   #10
zacster

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Seriously though, the sufferfest videos really make you work and somehow keep it more interesting.
zacster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 06:01 PM   #11
unterhausen
Randomhead

Bikes:
I rode 200k yesterday and my body was telling me to skip today, but the weather was so beautiful I had to go and ride. We have some of the best gravel roads anywhere. I don't think climbing mountains is a recommended recovery ride, but I'll leave the recovery for the work week.
unterhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 06:58 PM   #12
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I rode 200k yesterday and my body was telling me to skip today, but the weather was so beautiful I had to go and ride. We have some of the best gravel roads anywhere. I don't think climbing mountains is a recommended recovery ride, but I'll leave the recovery for the work week.
It's coming your way. Get out the long underwear. Supposed to be 0 in the mtns and about 10F or so here tonight.
Old 11-11-12, 08:03 PM   #13
groth
astro

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Well Denver, it was a beautiful day for a ride here in Central Jersey. Clear skies, mid 60s. 34 miles. Sort of made up for Sandy a little bit. Yesterday was a good day for a ride too, but I spent the day with a chain saw!

- Ed

Last edited by groth; 11-11-12 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typo
groth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-12, 11:59 AM   #14
NOS88

Bikes:
Quote:
Should I put my trainer in my shower?
I rather like this idea. You can HTFU while washing away any road grime from the bike.....